This game is sadistic!

Started by MonkeyDrone, October 20, 2015, 01:28:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MonkeyDrone

I start a new colony, one of my top colonist is a brawler with 10+ brawling and 2x flames on it. I hook her up with a knife for fighting. 2nd day turtle goes mad and gets into a fight with the brawler and the brawler dies. Da f**k?!?!?!?!

facc00

Dont give the brawler any weapons.  If you read it.  It says that any weapons make them less useful but if they are shooter/or melee brawler whatever there is a larger bonus.

Namuras

You think that is sadistic? Wait until you get a bit further into the game... :D

MonkeyDrone

Damn, didn't even know there was a difference between a melee brawler and a brawler. RIP my best colonist, your leader failed you  :'(

Quote from: facc00 on October 20, 2015, 01:40:01 AM
Dont give the brawler any weapons.  If you read it.  It says that any weapons make them less useful but if they are shooter/or melee brawler whatever there is a larger bonus.

I guess I'm in for some epic pain in the ass eh  :o 8)
Quote from: Namuras on October 20, 2015, 01:59:52 AM
You think that is sadistic? Wait until you get a bit further into the game... :D

Alitaria

QuoteThis game is sadistic!
Yes.

Oh yes, if you think that was bad. You are in for a treat.
Wait 'till a colony gets to the 5 year mark while playing on Cassandra.
You can handle 100-150 crazed boars right? No?
How about 80 Sapper type raiders?

Still no?

Surely you can handle the 15 Centipedes.
Context is key when discussing RimWorld in public

Jarwy

I thought this was about the usual forced cannibalism, prisoner torture or slave trading. Or one of the many other similar options available for the inspired.

TheDirge

Welcome to the 'verse..why dont you stay a while?

cultist

Quote from: MonkeyDrone on October 20, 2015, 01:28:03 AM
I start a new colony, one of my top colonist is a brawler with 10+ brawling and 2x flames on it. I hook her up with a knife for fighting. 2nd day turtle goes mad and gets into a fight with the brawler and the brawler dies. Da f**k?!?!?!?!

Don't get into melee with animals, you will be at a disadvantage. Of course, it sounds like it was an emergency so I don't blame you for trying it. Also, knives are not great weapons, even in the hands of a brawler. They cap at a pretty low damage per hit. Try to get your brawlers longswords or spears (or gladii if you can't get any better).

One last thing: Turtles are slow, but incredibly tough. They have very high sharp damage resistance, which means any sharp and most ranged weapons are ineffective against them.

Loki88

Quote from: cultist on October 20, 2015, 07:12:52 AM
Quote from: MonkeyDrone on October 20, 2015, 01:28:03 AM

Don't get into melee with animals, you will be at a disadvantage. Of course, it sounds like it was an emergency so I don't blame you for trying it. Also, knives are not great weapons, even in the hands of a brawler. They cap at a pretty low damage per hit. Try to get your brawlers longswords or spears (or gladii if you can't get any better).

One last thing: Turtles are slow, but incredibly tough. They have very high sharp damage resistance, which means any sharp and most ranged weapons are ineffective against them.

Shotguns seem to work alright on them :) I always equip my hunters with shotguns, low range decreases collateral damage risks. That, and hunting an elk with an LMG feels wrong... Dices raiders in to meals for chickens, yet I feel bad sending hunters out with an LMG... Because this game doesn't mess with your morals :o

milon

I run small colonies, and my favorite hunter is both Brawler and Night Owl. Because sneak attack = delicious meats. And occasionally my doctor gets a little practice in. Never had a problem with it.

Loki88

Quote from: milon on October 20, 2015, 08:10:47 AM
I run small colonies, and my favorite hunter is both Brawler and Night Owl. Because sneak attack = delicious meats. And occasionally my doctor gets a little practice in. Never had a problem with it.

That seems like a really good idea actually! Thanks milon! ;D

TheGrover

Started a new colony and the first new pawn was a wandered joining, a medical Lord his entire life, who refused to do any form of work besides hunting or art. Since my part time hunter was more than enough and I didn't care for art when I'm struggling to make enough food and build shelter, he got the firing squad treatment

Namuras

Quote from: TheGrover on October 20, 2015, 09:32:10 AM
Started a new colony and the first new pawn was a wandered joining, a medical Lord his entire life, who refused to do any form of work besides hunting or art. Since my part time hunter was more than enough and I didn't care for art when I'm struggling to make enough food and build shelter, he got the firing squad treatment

I had the same guy show up at one of my colonies... together with "hard working" and "fast learner" trait... he boosted impresive 18 points in both shooting and melee. I kept him and he does nothing but craft art all day :P Good income aswell.

Shoggoth

Quote from: facc00 on October 20, 2015, 01:40:01 AM

This is false. While brawlers are capable completely unarmed, they benefit from all melee weaponry; they are only made unhappy by ranged weaponry. This does not mean that a brawler with 20 ranged skill is any less capable with a gun than anyone else with 20 ranged skill, they just get a mood debuff for wielding a ranged weapon. A brawler with 20 melee is more capable than a non-brawler with 20 melee though. OP just got unlucky in combat, which happens.

mokonasakura

One of the reasons I stopped playing the game. To much artificial difficulty, not enough skill based play.