[A14] Community Core Library v0.14.3.1

Started by RWCCLTeam, October 20, 2015, 12:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dakkon

1000101 you made a mistake? You're not perfect?

My illusion is shattered, what's real? I just don't know anymore.

Fluffy (l2032)

I think E's mistake in this case was trusting I wouldn't make mistakes. While he should no better, I think we can let him slide on this one.

( The code was fine, and then I introduced two bugs in one commit. At least you guys didn't report/notice the other one, so that doesn't really count :P )

RemingtonRyder

jediminer543

Could someone explain how the detour injection code works. I'm curious, but it seems to use assembly magic.

The detour injector replaces the first few bytes of the source method with an (machine code/CPU instruction) jump to the destination method.

It's not magic ;), it's x86 (32-bit) or x86-64 (64-bit) machine language.
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Powered By

Fluffy (l2032)

Trust me, it's magic. Dark, dark, magic.

Jaxxa

I have a few specific questions about detours.

• Can I Detour a Property or only Functions?
  • Is it possible for My Detoured Function to access Other Functions / Variables / Properties in the Class I am Replacing or My New Detour Class?

Quote from: Jaxxa1. Can I Detour a Property or only Functions?
A property is only syntactic sugar.  What a property really is, is a field and two functions (a getter and a setter).  You can get both methods (PropertyInfo.GetGetMethod, PropertyInfo.GetSetMethod) and detour them like any other.

Quote from: Jaxxa2. Is it possible for My Detoured Function to access Other Functions / Variables / Properties in the Class I am Replacing or My New Detour Class?
Absolutely, but depending on "how" you define the class and detour method will determine the level of protection and "ease of access" to the detoured class and method.  ie, if you are detouring an instance class and method, the "easiest" way is to define the class and method using inheritance.  This allows you to reference members which are public or protected and use "this".  Private and internal members will always need reflection.

CCL has quite a range of methods including in sealed and internal classes; internal, private, protected and public methods.  I wrote all the detours as internal static classes with internal static extension methods.  I chose to write them in this way to prevent "accidental" references in mods.

The only real caveat to detouring a function is whether the compiler/JIT will automatically inline the function.  Functions which have been inlined can't be detoured (well, they can be but your detoured method will never be called as there is no call to the method).  Read this article, the important part is the section entitled "Method Inlining."
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.