[A14] Community Core Library v0.14.3.1

Started by RWCCLTeam, October 20, 2015, 12:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AstroChimp

Quote from: Natirs on September 04, 2016, 01:08:50 PM
Quote from: AstroChimp on September 04, 2016, 01:03:48 PM
I don't understand anything about coding, and I can't even begin to comprehend how difficult it must be to code something like that.And maybe be a dumb question(probably is:D) But wouldn't it be harmful to Ludeon and Tynan releasing some part of the game core code like that?

I don't think they need to release some of the game code. I think what needs to be done is this entire thing just needs to be incorporated into the game. Seeing as how the majority of mods need it, it makes sense that it would be bundled with the game. Hire the guy on as a contractor and he works with them to make sure this is ready when a new version comes out.

That would be a neat solution. Although I don't know how viable would it be for Ludeon to do something like that, considering the costs and the amount of work it should take to implement CCL into the game itself.
Cat beards should be a thing.

Pillow Fort

introducing...
THE CCL DLC

because 3 letter acronyms are F.U.N.

also i know ccl is a huge thing.
would splitting the minimap and the config menu affect anything?
some mods might just require the config menu.. in a14 they required ccl.. now its a15 and they suddenly dont... and just have a different way to access their menus....
and the minimap was insanely useful XD

Deimos Rast

I come from the land of github.... :-\
Keep calm and carry on. That's the ticket.
Keep up the good work, lads (and ladies)!
#StopPluginAbuse

Natirs

Quote from: AstroChimp on September 04, 2016, 01:14:28 PM
I don't understand anything about coding, and I can't even begin to comprehend how difficult it must be to code something like that.And maybe be a dumb question(probably is:D) But wouldn't it be harmful to Ludeon and Tynan releasing some part of the game core code like that?

I don't think they need to release some of the game code. I think what needs to be done is this entire thing just needs to be incorporated into the game. Seeing as how the majority of mods need it, it makes sense that it would be bundled with the game. Hire the guy on as a contractor and he works with them to make sure this is ready when a new version comes out.

That would be a neat solution. Although I don't know how viable would it be for Ludeon to do something like that, considering the costs and the amount of work it should take to implement CCL into the game itself.

Let's be honest here, the game has mod "support" yet the majority of the mods are not even compatible with the game. For that reason alone, CCL should be incorporated into the core game.

AstroChimp

Quote from: Natirs on September 04, 2016, 04:36:56 PM

Let's be honest here, the game has mod "support" yet the majority of the mods are not even compatible with the game. For that reason alone, CCL should be incorporated into the core game.

Not quite, though. Can't quite remember if it was Skully or Killface(or neither of them, for that matter lol) that said that most mods could work without CCL, especially in A15. But to add noCCL functionality would be too much work other than updating it, which makes sense....
Cat beards should be a thing.

Facepunch

Any possibility of an ETA? Not gonna pretend I know anything about how Rimworld modding works, but I have done mods in the past for other games in another language, and I know it can be a bitch. Just wondering if we're looking at days or weeks

AtomicRavioli

Quote from: Facepunch on September 04, 2016, 06:26:38 PM
Any possibility of an ETA? Not gonna pretend I know anything about how Rimworld modding works, but I have done mods in the past for other games in another language, and I know it can be a bitch. Just wondering if we're looking at days or weeks

Never ask for ETAs, its impossible to tell most the time, see above posts: Its alot of prodding around in the dark to see if things work (because they don't have the source)

Natirs

Quote from: AstroChimp on September 04, 2016, 04:49:55 PM
Quote from: Natirs on September 04, 2016, 04:36:56 PM

Not quite, though. Can't quite remember if it was Skully or Killface(or neither of them, for that matter lol) that said that most mods could work without CCL, especially in A15. But to add noCCL functionality would be too much work other than updating it, which makes sense....

And that is where they could easily hire more people. They increased the price of The Pirate King tier due to having too many people buy it. Why wouldn't they just hire another person to work on that stuff rather than increase the price? If they were having that many people buy it, wouldn't you want to continue to encourage people to buy that tier rather than discourage them?

Deimos Rast

>look at repo
>look at A15 branch
>look at date of last commit
:-X
#StopPluginAbuse

Pillow Fort

Quote from: Deimos Rast on September 04, 2016, 10:37:23 PM
:-X
they're reverse engineering the rimworld update.. and testing bits and pieces against that.
there isnt anything to commit.
once they're done with that i'd imagine the actual coding will take less than a week if there arent too much required changes.

just because rimworld does not throw an error when loading doesnt mean its actually working.
they'll have to actually go in and test everything for each part of the library.
first to make sure that part is working, then to make sure it doesnt mess up anything else.
then figure out if anything that doesnt seem to work right is because of a mistake in coding that part, or because of another part that isnt loaded yet.

why cant they just load everything and test it? because then they wont know what parts arent working. all they'll know is... somewhere somehow something isnt working in some way.
also: "oh you tested part#175 and you didnt notice that deer killed by the wolf on the other side of the map was not forbidden? congratulations! in another 200 parts time, you will realize something is breaking the forbidding system and u wont know which of the 200 parts did it! have a nice day!"

fastest solution? get ty to release the source code to them. with the source they can check the code instead of trying to test everything every time
will it ever happen? unlikely.

chaotix14

Until then it's a lot of trial and error, and in this case even the best educated guesswork is literally shooting in the dark and hoping you hit the deer without hitting the crowd of people standing around it.

CannibarRechter

Quotefastest solution? get ty to release the source code to them. with the source they can check the code instead of trying to test everything every time
will it ever happen? unlikely.

I wonder how much of the core/obfuscated code they depend on? This is relevant, because if it's just some select components, I wonder if this is a case for Tynan to provide a bit more modder access to these elements, or to provide some sort of specific modding supportability for that. CCL seems to be a key modding capability, and modability appears to be a design criteria for this game.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

CannibarRechter

Hey, guys, I am staring at Detours.TryDetourFromTo right now, and am noticing this method is largely self-contained. I was mulling over taking it out and using it separately (I am currently wanting to play a mod who's sole dependency is this CCL class), but of course this is unsafe code using pointer arithmetic and some pointer arithmetic I don't quite follow.

Is the pointer math likely to still be good?

I would simply try it, but as this is unmanaged code, errors here have the potential to hard crash the .NET CLR...
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

Facepunch

Quote from: AtomicRavioli on September 04, 2016, 08:05:38 PM
Quote from: Facepunch on September 04, 2016, 06:26:38 PM

Never ask for ETAs, its impossible to tell most the time, see above posts: Its alot of prodding around in the dark to see if things work (because they don't have the source)

Sure, but it usually isn't too hard to approximate an approximation. If they're halfway through, double the time they've spent on it and that's good enough for me. I understand what the holdup is, too, and I'm not complaining at all. I've got a lot of respect for the CCL team sacrificing way more time than they should have to, to maintain very probably the single most important mod to rimworld.

Lockdown

Quote from: CannibarRechter on September 05, 2016, 03:55:52 PM
Hey, guys, I am staring at Detours.TryDetourFromTo right now, and am noticing this method is largely self-contained. I was mulling over taking it out and using it separately (I am currently wanting to play a mod who's sole dependency is this CCL class), but of course this is unsafe code using pointer arithmetic and some pointer arithmetic I don't quite follow.

Is the pointer math likely to still be good?

I would simply try it, but as this is unmanaged code, errors here have the potential to hard crash the .NET CLR...

It does work if you copy it over, you just have to set your project to allow unsafe code.