Cooking

Started by Kalesin, October 08, 2013, 02:03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalesin

In many games, the topic of food and cooking is superficial. My question is if it will be more elaborate meals. For example, if you grow potatoes and carrots, a first level of cooking, dishes would come out of carrots or potatoes boiled or grilled, and second level could combine the two elements, potato and carrot stew, a third level could be three ingredients, two ingredients with some seasoning (salt, pepper, herbs) or 2 highly processed ingredients, such as carrot and potato croquettes.

This would give depth to the stories (not always eat the same thing) and would make the community participate by developing and writing recipes.

Yeah, I know, I like to cook.

As a bonus, also alcoholic beverages are made from potato (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vodka)

AspenShadow

... I love you  :P

I wasn't sure about the topic before coming on, but it's not the concept of cooking being debated but the (very sound) idea of a tier-based system. I love the idea, expressed in it's simplest to see if I've got this right:

Tier 0 - Eat paste & raw food.
Tier 1 - Cook vegetables/meats.
Tier 2 - Cook vegetables/meats together.
Tier 3 - Augment the two/three piece meals with a property (even just a +2 happiness) with spices and herbs.

Also I was hoping someone would get around to talking about alcohol in the sense of it's raw production as opposed to processing. Potatoes as the default grown food in Rimworld is perfect and logical, most people would know it and be able to 'click with it' without prompt as well.

[Footnote: Your opinion on Tier 4 being such things as pies?]

Dejix

Hmmmm cooking. Now crafting just got real...

I to have always loved a detailed cooking system in games. It adds a certain flavour to gameplay that is unrivaled.

Kalesin

Quote from: AspenShadow on October 08, 2013, 02:10:39 PM
... I love you  :P

I wasn't sure about the topic before coming on, but it's not the concept of cooking being debated but the (very sound) idea of a tier-based system. I love the idea, expressed in it's simplest to see if I've got this right:

Tier 0 - Eat paste & raw food.
Tier 1 - Cook vegetables/meats.
Tier 2 - Cook vegetables/meats together.
Tier 3 - Augment the two/three piece meals with a property (even just a +2 happiness) with spices and herbs.

Also I was hoping someone would get around to talking about alcohol in the sense of it's raw production as opposed to processing. Potatoes as the default grown food in Rimworld is perfect and logical, most people would know it and be able to 'click with it' without prompt as well.

[Footnote: Your opinion on Tier 4 being such things as pies?]

Well detailed, but really the pasta would be Tier 1 or 2 first would have to create flour with some cereal or tuber (the pasta we eat is made with wheat flour normally, but there are also rice flour, there is also the egg and flour, and even made ​​from potato dough [gnocchi])

Hypolite

Quote from: Dejix on October 08, 2013, 02:17:59 PM
Hmmmm cooking. Now crafting just got real...

I to have always loved a detailed cooking system in games. It adds a certain flavour to gameplay that is unrivaled.
I would say don't get your hopes up in that matter, Dejix. The manufacturing system suggestion is already heavily toned down from the initial idea. Crafting in general is not something RimWorld is going towards right now.

Dejix

I completely understand Hypolite. From my experience that sort of thing would be on the periphery of any core game design and implementation save for a cooking sim. Besides food past, with all it's single celled proteins combined with synthetic aminos, vitamins, and minerals, has everything the body needs to survive. Needles to say I digress and will return to saying that I hope to see some form of cooking system in the future.

Kalesin

Quote from: Dejix on October 08, 2013, 02:33:41 PM
I completely understand Hypolite. From my experience that sort of thing would be on the periphery of any core game design and implementation save for a cooking sim. Besides food past, with all it's single celled proteins combined with synthetic aminos, vitamins, and minerals, has everything the body needs to survive.

I assume that most suggestions were not implemented soon, the game should move on and there are priorities, you have to walk before you run, but this is the thread, I think, to be adding ideas and who like or are suitable , expand them and discuss them.

Zeiph

I think that maybe having food diversity wouldn't obligatorily mean heavy duty overkill cooking system. Maybe there is a way to concile this...

Hypolite

The tier system needing more food source diversity/buildings to unlock the next tier sounds fine to me.

AspenShadow

I hope so, at the very least raw meat and harvested fruit vegetables should have cook-ability if only for realism's sake and diversity of food materials. It's already implied paste is not the only foodstuff or that it can at the very least be improved into something through research (taste-wise).

Congratz on the promotion Not-Bruce!  :)

GC13

Clearly the game intends for there to be more to food than there is now: it's a -12 penalty (that stacks) for eating raw food, and a -8 (that doesn't) for eating the synthesized stuff. At the very least there will be the ability to cook a type of meal worth no penalty, though Ty hasn't said anything about his plans.

Really though, I am quite curious about those plans. They'd say a lot about how the building will work in the game as it sees more development.

Kalesin

Previously says to cook food, we need more variety, but with what is existing, there are more than enough to start.

The image below is from a post where Tynan commented on the ecology of the game, where there was proliferation of cactus (Emergent Ecology)

The cactus are used for a variety of food in Mexico (Nopales, Sauces, ... even for alcoholic beverage). Also used to make dyes and has other uses.

More information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opuntia

Zeiph

Quote from: Kalesin on October 08, 2013, 03:53:53 PM
The cactus are used for a variety of food in Mexico (Nopales, Sauces, ... even for alcoholic beverage). Also used to make dyes and has other uses.

TEQUILA ! Aye !

Kalesin

Quote from: Zeiph on October 08, 2013, 03:55:17 PM

TEQUILA ! Aye !

Tequila is made from agave  ;)

Edit:

Made about fruit of cactus:
Bajtra
Tunji

AspenShadow

Quote from: Kalesin on October 08, 2013, 03:58:10 PM
Quote from: Zeiph on October 08, 2013, 03:55:17 PM

TEQUILA ! Aye !

Tequila is made from agave  ;)

Edit:

Made about fruit of cactus:
Bajtra
Tunji

I'm an old-fashioned potato guy, or maybe rum. Rum's good :D
"Oaf why is the rum gone?!"