New Toolbar sucks.

Started by Adamiks, October 22, 2015, 07:47:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adamiks

I came back from long vacation from Rimworld and i'm unhappy with new toolbar.

Like for what i need statistics? It only takes my screen space...
I really would like to have old "toolbar". And i don't think there is a option to change it...

Is there any way to change it? Even through modding?

Loki88

It should be moddable though I'm not sure how. I adapted to the new tool bar pretty quickly though. I don't find it takes up to much space but then again my monitor is actually an old 22" LED TV from my bedroom.

Adamiks

I found other problem with this new toolbar. When you want to move your camera view using your screen rather than W/A/S/D it takes more time in place where the toolbar is than in other places.

Probably it's made to prevent moving your camera while selecting something.
And it don't take so much space, but still - it's useless to have tabs like history/statistics/fraction etc. on your screen. I use these like not more than 10 times in whole game. Useless.

And it's so weird to see menu somewhere in corner rather than in centre of screen... And it makes interface more confusing for new players, so this change is really useless and there is no option for old interface.

Loki88

I do agree having the option would be nice.

TLHeart

old interface is gone, in the trash bin...

New interface is highly moddable, and their are some very useful mods because of it.

Adapt and change, you will come to find the new interface very useful.

Adamiks

Why i should care about interface being moddable? Sure, it's great for modders, but not for regular user that don't use interface mods and want old, better interface back at least as a option.

Old interface is in trash bin.

New interface IS a trash bin.

Coenmcj

So you don't like it because it takes up screen space?... I'm confused... you realize the change was made to save up screen space, right?

The old UI took up a vast majority of the screen and you couldn't do much of anything while you had any of the restrictions/Work/statistics tabs open, This one was made so that, while it's open, you can still move about and interact with your colony.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

TLHeart

Quote from: Adamiks on October 22, 2015, 04:38:26 PM
Why i should care about interface being moddable? Sure, it's great for modders, but not for regular user that don't use interface mods and want old, better interface back at least as a option.

Old interface is in trash bin.

New interface IS a trash bin.

in your opinion. so be it. 

The old interface sucked, auto paused the game, and took multiple clicks to get to anything you needed... now the game continues to run, one click gets me to what I need, the alignment of the click to the icon is correct, so no more missed clicks.... Has improved game play immensely.

Yes there was a learning curve, but it is small.

REMworlder

I think we need to remember context before we rush to judge the new toolbar.

Part of what makes the current iteration annoying is there's not much use for several of the new buttons that used to be more hidden, like history and factions. But, when factions get expanded on, the button will probably be much more commonly used.

So what seems useless right now may have a ton of utility one or two patches from now.

rexx1888

yeah, it seems daft to complain that it has a bunch of unused tabs while the game is in alpha. plus, i use the statistics tab every now an then. an i dont mind the various other tabs being there until they actually have use. If it gets in your way, thats useful feedback, but dont get combative about it like its very presence is offending you. Its not like the game is 100% finished an itll be the only interface ever :S

Adamiks

Quote from: Coenmcj on October 22, 2015, 04:45:45 PM
So you don't like it because it takes up screen space?... I'm confused... you realize the change was made to save up screen space, right?

The old UI took up a vast majority of the screen and you couldn't do much of anything while you had any of the restrictions/Work/statistics tabs open, This one was made so that, while it's open, you can still move about and interact with your colony.

No, not only. The major problem here is that this toolbar slow down camera movement when you use your screen to move it around. It's so annoying...

Also, new toolbar takes less space always, while the old toolbar took more space but only when you needed it.

And it's just how it looks. That interface is just ugly. Even freakin' menu isn't in center of screen now...

A Friend

All of this seems like personal opinion. Here's mine about this whole thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ussCHoQttyQ

I like that the number clicks I have to make to check factions and stuff has been reduced and the game doesn't pause when I check them. But eitherway, meh.
Best solution you can find would be from mods. If you can find someone willing to redo the UI to something similar to the last alpha.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Adamiks

Your reaction is neutral but you like X and Y?

And that one thing i was talking about is a problem in general not only my opinion (time needed to move camera).

But besides that - yes, it's my opinion. I think many people don't like new toolbar also. This is why i think there should be a option to play with old interface.

It's only interface. It wouldn't break the game if you would play with X inteface or Y interface. And old interface is in old files. For developers it should be easy to make it optional. For people like me (people who are too stupid to be able to do anything in DLL's) it's really hard.

TLHeart

Quote from: Adamiks on October 23, 2015, 07:33:17 AM
Your reaction is neutral but you like X and Y?

And that one thing i was talking about is a problem in general not only my opinion (time needed to move camera).

But besides that - yes, it's my opinion. I think many people don't like new toolbar also. This is why i think there should be a option to play with old interface.

It's only interface. It wouldn't break the game if you would play with X inteface or Y interface. And old interface is in old files. For developers it should be easy to make it optional. For people like me (people who are too stupid to be able to do anything in DLL's) it's really hard.

Your total problem is with moving the camera, which tells me, you are using the mouse at edge of window to move the camera, and yes the interface being all the way across the bottom of the screen makes finding that sweet spot to move the camera difficult....

The easier way to move the camera is with the middle mouse button... press down on the middle mouse button, and move as quickly as you want around the map.

Adamiks

For me it's not easier way. My middle mouse button is just simply.... hmm... not so good.

It's easier for me  to move camera using edge of screen, and i have problems with this now, due to that totally useless change in interface (at least it's useless for me, i dunno about interface modders).