Think I broke the game?

Started by zathura, October 23, 2015, 03:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zathura

If I knew how to grab the error output upon loading a colony save I would have, perhaps someone can advise me how to get that if it's worth looking at?

Anyway, about halfway through my current save, I loaded in a new mod (gunsmithing table), along with it's other two companion mods (meteor storm and barbed wire). The game threw a critical error, so I removed meteor storm and barbed wire, and just kept the gunsmithing table.

The only other mods I have are:
Core Library
CL *Vanilla Tweaks*
Apothecarius
More Vanilla Turrets
Redist Heat
Hospitality
The three EDB mods (mod order, Interface, and Prepare Carefully)

It's now been about 5 months in-game without a single event (no raids, mad animals, visitors, trade-ships, etc.)

I'm really disappointed, because I have a nice colony going. Seems a waste to just toss it, but I realize this is probably what's going to have to happen. Figured I'd at least -ask- if there's something I can do to fix it. :(

(Edit) It also got laggy all of a sudden on 3x speed (or whatever the fastest is), though it runs smoothly enough on the second-fastest speed. I only have 10 colonists.

(Edit Edit) At the very least, could someone advise which order would be best to load these mods, for future reference? I'm not savvy on what mods affect what in the game's code.

Fluffy (l2032)

the lag (and the fact that you're not getting events) suggests you're getting errors.

Turn on dev mode in the RimWorld options, and post a (few) screenshots of the error(s) you're getting. Better yet, find the output_log and post it here (it should be in <RW install dir>\RimWorld914Win_Data\output_log.txt).

milon

I suggest changing storyteller & difficulty, save, quit, reload, and change the storyteller back. My theory is that it would force the game to reinitialize the chance & timing of events that get called. Back up your game first just in case!

zathura

Welp, just so you don't think I'm ignoring you guys (and THANK YOU!), I kinda screwed up by not saving the log and starting a new colony with a different mod group. Going back to the old save and figuring out the exact order of mods is probably beyond my abilities at this point. I'm just writing it off as a lesson-learned; namely, don't add mods halfway through a save. :-\

Loki88

Depending on what they do, many mods are save friendly, as long as they are implemented correctly. A general rule of thumb ( not an absolute truth ) is that if its a small mod that only adds a few things its save friendly. Many modders are pretty good about putting in their original post whether its save friendly or requires a new world.

milon

I'm pretty sure the game save file lists mod order on it somewhere. At least, I know the world file does.

Start a new colony in the same world as the broken save, and the game should alert you to the change.