Honest confession of a pirate.

Started by Anexgohan, January 18, 2014, 06:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadbeat88

I pirated this game's pre-alpha release that you see in youtube before I backed it up in kickstarter.

newer pirated versions of it are still there and i couldve just pirated it all the way like i did on the others, but instead I contributed. Maybe because I like it very much, even I dont know why.

my point is  "online piracy" is not that evil as others may think it seems because this time, trust is the the most valued commodity and some people are not as gullible as they are was before.

Many of us are fed up with false promises so we pirate things. I may be justifying my own actions in this. In the end, majority of people who pirate software do not have the intention of buying them in the first place... and if they liked that software, well. you have a potential buyer.
Whatever you do, don't do it!

Smokey the Bear

I also pirated the game a couple of months ago to take a quick look at it. I played it for 15 minutes and thought it was awesome.

I still haven't bought it and won't until it's on Steam. I have been refreshing the SteamDB everyday hoping to see this pop up, but it's just dawned on me that January = new patch doesn't = on Steam. :(

I can't wait to buy this.

Tynan

Quote from: Smokey the Bear on January 21, 2014, 09:58:27 AM
I also pirated the game a couple of months ago to take a quick look at it. I played it for 15 minutes and thought it was awesome.

I still haven't bought it and won't until it's on Steam. I have been refreshing the SteamDB everyday hoping to see this pop up, but it's just dawned on me that January = new patch doesn't = on Steam. :(

Why wait? If you buy it now, you get a Steam key when it comes out there... plus you give 97% of your money to the creator instead of 70% :D
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Smokey the Bear

Quote from: Tynan on January 21, 2014, 10:37:59 AM
Quote from: Smokey the Bear on January 21, 2014, 09:58:27 AM

Why wait? If you buy it now, you get a Steam key when it comes out there... plus you give 97% of your money to the creator instead of 70% :D

It's more of a financial comfort thing as I usually trade for games on Steam, which makes them dirt cheap, and allows me to get more bang for my buck. I don't really buy games at full price anymore, but I think in the next two months I will come back and buy it here - when money is better. I know that from my sneak peek, the game is 100% worth it and you've certainly got a hit on your hands and I'd love to support the development. This is actually just the kind of game I've been craving for as long as I can remember.

Edit: I know I'm cheap but I usually sacrifice luxuries and some necessities, to play games.

TheEisbaer

I also pirated the game, played it for like an hour and then bought it! Fantastic Game so far!

thebadman

Quote from: Tynan on January 21, 2014, 10:37:59 AM
Why wait?
Probably because of games aka "Amber Gold Story".

Castle Story

Mokkun

Is it bad to say, I kickstarter backed it, (I really need to figure out what my NPC should get of statboosts, etc soon).. Then downloaded the torrent, so I could play it until the "official" alpha? ;)
Must say, I Do sometimes Pirate a game still, to try it for some hours to see if its worth buying or not. Must say, that have saved me some cash.. (but I do not bother to pirate to try for games less than 15$ those I rather buy and regret a bit if bad)...

Plasmatic

I can say that I did not pirate this game, I saw Etalyx cover it a couple times and loved what I saw and 30 bucks for this game (given endless hours of entertainment so far) was cheap :)

sirhotalot

Quote from: Tynan on January 19, 2014, 12:17:52 AM
Well thanks for actually buying it! I always knew people would pirate the game, but it was pretty saddening to see it actually happening. Anyway, it's part of doing business these days so at this point I just accept it. But anyway, good on you to come and buy the game properly.

I wish more people would do away with the myth that piracy is harmful. All studies show it increases sales because it increases visibility. Some developers even purposefully release their games on the torrent network specifically for this purpose.

Miesha

I didn't exactly pirate this game. A friend of mine bought it, copied it and sent me the copy (that's pirating), because he wanted me to try. I was already sold on the concept and had planned to buy it as soon as I got money. I just wanted to play straight away :3

Now I've paid for it, trying to make a character but I think I'm doing terrible :P She'll make it eventually!

ShadowTani

I used to pirate games back in my student days, but these days where my income is much better I don't. I however watch LP's extensively before I decide to invest. LP's aren't fool proof though, because sometimes I come over games that looks fun, but that I don't enjoy playing as much myself. Thus I probably would still pirate-test games these days if I had the same limited budget I had back in the days.

Either way, what I want to say is that I don't think you should feel discouraged if you see your game getting torrented Tynan, because you have such a darn good product that people will want to support it.

W1Z25

i admit i pirate most games to "demo" them.. then i'd buy them once i know my pc can handle it and i have the money.. the reason i do this is because most games these days dont have a demo to play, and even if they do have a demo.. its too restraining..

i pirated Rimworld for 30 minutes and then bought it and im so glad i did. im not afraid to admit it lol

CodyRex123

Quote from: Ozymandias on January 19, 2014, 01:39:02 PM
"You have to realize many pirates... wouldn't buy (it) any ways..."

This is actually a very good point.

The media has effectively synonymized pirating with thievery. The
distinction is pretty significant. But I'm not about to get into all of that. Let it suffice that when one steals, tangible resources are lost--a potential sale which could have gone to a paying customer. In the digital world: nothing is lost. It's comparable far more effectively to copying. People argue that the developers time and energy isn't compensated for. But this begs the question: how would $50 compensate a developer of his time and energy? That investment on the part of the artist is divided into thousands if not millions of segments. Which we then satisfy through our individual purchases.

The individuals who are pirating, wouldn't have bought the game, so they wouldn't have made their contribution anyways. But! If they like it enough, they will reconsider. And I've heard of plenty of instances of this happening.

Alot of the times, i think its might be the money issue, just sayin
Dragons!

CodyRex123

Quote from: sirhotalot on January 23, 2014, 08:46:18 PM
Quote from: Tynan on January 19, 2014, 12:17:52 AM
Well thanks for actually buying it! I always knew people would pirate the game, but it was pretty saddening to see it actually happening. Anyway, it's part of doing business these days so at this point I just accept it. But anyway, good on you to come and buy the game properly.

I wish more people would do away with the myth that piracy is harmful. All studies show it increases sales because it increases visibility. Some developers even purposefully release their games on the torrent network specifically for this purpose.

I know that Pixel Piracy did have it like that, But then they stoped DX
Dragons!