One sentence challenge: add a feature to the Factions system

Started by REMworlder, October 25, 2015, 06:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REMworlder

You're playing RimWorld and drinking nutrient paste when suddenly your communications console whizzes to life. A message spits out. It's from Tynan, who's rafting down the Amazon and only has intermittent access on his handy two-way satellite text messaging device.

Quote from: TynanGIVE ME A FEATURE TO ADD TO THE FACTION SYSTEM. ONE SENTENCE ONLY PLEASE.

What do you reply?

Keychan

Let us trade with our friendly factions through more stable means than random events.

Limdood

Hostile Factions raid for supplies, not just killing/capturing.

dosemeter

Have the factions bring their animals when attacking (Rhino, Thrumbo...etc.) and be able to capture them when they go down.

skullywag

Make friendly factions useful to keep around, they are currently a non event.  Maybe faction trading for one...
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

nobrainer

One sentence challenge you say.
I'm probably gona be cheating but, well, here goes.

Have more than 5 factions per game session and each faction has trade/diplomacy behaviour following these rules:

• pirate factions do not trade;
  • each non-pirate faction generates random list of trade routes than can be activated in the comms console;
  • faction trade routes may not involve silver, they may trade products for products (5 meat for 3 corn, etc.);
  • tribal factions have higher chance of selling raw resources (wood, steel, gold, uranium, plasteel, herbal medicine, stone blocks);
  • tribal factions have higher chance of buying simple balistic weapons (pirtols, shotguns, rifles);
  • outlander faction have higher chance of selling manufactured comodities (meals, fine meals, medicine, pistols, shotguns, survival rifles, simple prosthetics);
  • outlander factions have higher chance of buying modern weapons (charge rifles, machine guns, rocket launchers);
  • trade routes involving higher valued comodities (gold, uranium, charge rifles, etc.) need higher relationship threshold to unlock;
  • trading with 2 factions that are each other's enemies will have % chance to make them no longer enemies of each other;
  • not trading with a faction while trading with other factions will make them envy and have % chance of them turning into each other's enemies;
  • faction visitors have chance to interact with your colonists in joy activities and chat with chance social skill, mood and environment influencing % chance of improve/decrease relationship.

Is this technically only one sentence. Probably not.  ;D ;D ;D

Alistaire

Keep track of faction resources, such as population and wealth, and base interactions, such as raids and trade, on those.

xlockeed

A feature to add to the faction system?

1. Trading. ~ Limited trading based on faction location / specialty.

2. Cease fire / War / Peace / Alliance. ~ Just your normal stances. Could go further and have events from ally ask for so in so to come help in a raid / defense (pawn(s) walk off map and comes back later on with either no harm or some damages). Failure to provide drops alliance and places your reputation across the board down. Reputation is actually hard to raise and requires actual work, not just 300 silver for faction. You can in turn request armed assistance from ally with no penalty. With reputation increase, the other party can ask for a number of your current wares to be given as a gift.

3. Infiltration. ~ Send a pawn over to an enemy to do some event or steal something. With a chance your pawn comes back injured or dies. Could also see when their next raid is due.

4. Over time factions quit being at war with each other or revert into war again.

5. Smarter visiting faction AI.  ~ You lose reputation for farming visiting pawns. If visiting AI dies while in your zone you are held responsible for it. Visiting pawn farms needs to be stomped out.

6. Friendly faction caravan needs protection from enemy or your friend. ~ Same as the offer protection event Y / N but resulting in negative / positive reputation. A small group makes their way to your base being chased by group of raiders. Size and what not varies.

7. Factions may fail and ask to move in. ~ Random amount of pawns along with resources. They could also be sickly with a mass plague or old and feeble.

8. A set amount of factions will always be up. ~ If a few factions failed / wipe out new ones will croup up for a limited number total.

9. More factions?

10. Scraping factions. ~ A faction that raids only to tear down things and loot the items. They tend to target things near the border to tear down and scrap. Shielded and power claws for quicker copper removal.

Ten faction things, tried to keep each number per sentence.

Each year of thy life is the foundation for the next. The man who squanders his youth needs must build his life on a foundation of mud, and then wilt it collapse.

keylocke

Quote from: NuclearStudent on October 27, 2015, 02:07:57 AM
Implement hospitality.

aye with being able to create different zones for visitors from different factions so that they can have trade caravans safely without rival factions attacking each other.

REMworlder

Quote from: dosemeter on October 26, 2015, 04:11:33 AM
Have the factions bring their animals when attacking (Rhino, Thrumbo...etc.) and be able to capture them when they go down.
That's a really neat idea, I never thought of attackers having animals before. This could open the door for a new type of attacker.

I expected to see people mention trade, but not almost every post. Dang.

A Friend

Well all the other good ideas had already been said so here's something.

* When trading get's implemented, have certain groups specialize/have more stock in certain items like plasteel, weapons, etc.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

keylocke

Quote from: REMworlder on October 27, 2015, 08:03:12 PM
I expected to see people mention trade, but not almost every post. Dang.

coz that's what missing the most for factions. hospitality and trade. it would be fun if there are more factions and rival factions fighting each other. it would be cool if factions are dynamic and some new factions gets formed and some factions die out if their population drops too low.

around 20 factions would be something cool and dynamic. i really like how DF handles their world generation and you can see different factions come and go throughout history.

hospitality will allow players to boost faction relationship, and faction relationship should be constantly degenerating a bit faster. which means you need to cultivate them or factions will start getting hostile with you. you probably can't keep them all happy, so choose which factions you want to side with.

factional warfare between rival factions should become the norm. instead of raids.

this would open up some new sorely needed features in rimworld. like using religion, politics, trade, hospitality, etc for diplomacy.

void god worshippers, mechanoid worshippers, tree huggers, technocrats, etc..

different factions will have different "flavor".. they'll have their own randomized culture which would affect their trade goods as well as their diplomatic behaviour.

some would be more warmongering, some peace loving, some greedy, etc..
coz right now the factions feel bland and generic.

edit : everything equipped by a pawn should automatically become heavily degraded upon death. this would prevent too much profit from looting corpses. while butchering corpses will lower your diplomatic rating for their faction, this prevents players from exploiting the corpses for skin and meat.

edit : carnivorous animals should be able to eat corpses (rotten or not, forbidden or not).. which means that corpses can still be used to feed carnivorous pets without incurring faction penalties.

-----------------------------

i'm one of the dudes who thinks there should be waaay less intergalactic space traders and raiders dropping from pods.. since there's no FTL in rimworld, space travel should be severely limited. only mechanoids should keep dropping from space fairly often while everything else should drop rarely, so we can focus on factions that are actually on the planet.

i'm also one of the dudes who thinks that colonists should be able to buy passage with trade ships to get off the planet. which is why i think trade ships should be very rare and very expensive to trade with compared to trading with the factions on the planet. and yea, escaping the planet by buying passage from tradeships would be a really "cheap" way of "winning" a game. but let's get real.. there's no "winning" in games like rimworld, since that essentially just means you're quitting the game while you're ahead to start a new game from scratch. (you can stay and wait for new colonists to join after you sent all your colonists to space, but still that's just like a continuation of your current game, not an actual "win")

i've stopped trying to "win the game" when playing rimworld, and it's been several alphas ago since the last time i built a spaceship.. now all i do is have "fun".  ;D

NuclearStudent

Quote from: keylocke on October 27, 2015, 11:33:38 AM
Quote from: NuclearStudent on October 27, 2015, 02:07:57 AM
Implement hospitality.

aye with being able to create different zones for visitors from different factions so that they can have trade caravans safely without rival factions attacking each other.

I actually prefer the faction traders murdering each other. It adds meaning to the faction system.

Limdood

Already added something i'd love to see (raiders raiding specifically for loot instead of always kamikaze base burner raids).  Want to add more without repeating anything.  Came up with a great idea!

What if i could ask or pay a friendly (above 0 or above 50) faction's visitor to train one of my pawns in a skill that the visitor is significantly ahead in, preferably over the course of the visit, awarding xp similarly in speed to the medicine skill gain speed while performing an operation?

Just checking....yep!  one sentence!  Probably belongs in its own separate thread, since it is so different from most of the "faction" requests on here.  If i get any real positive responses to this idea, i could try and flesh out this suggestion in it's own thread.