Just got the game and I love it, but my god is it cruel.

Started by Duban, October 26, 2015, 06:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duban

I'm 1 year into my first (successful) game and got a crashed drone ship in the spring just as growing season begins. I'm thinking, ok I'll hold off the construction of my new defense line and use the iron to build up a defense against the drones. I have a good food stockpile and a long summer so I'll wait to start planting.

Halfway into my efforts I get frickin' toxic fallout. By the time I complete the assault on the drone ship my men are poisoned and need to go inside. A month later it's the end of July and I'm scrambling everyone I can to plant crops beacuse I'm facing imminent starvation.
Now my men are facing starvation in the middle of FRICKIN' AUGUST because of the brutal RNGods. I can't even hunt because toxic fallout is still killing EVERYTHING, and my Defense is in shambles because I've been too busy to build it up.

I love this game, but my god are you a cruel mistress.

CrayolaCrayon

Hope a bulk trader comes along to supply you with food!

milon

Duban

Quote from: milon on October 26, 2015, 07:04:53 PM
Who's your storyteller?  ;)

I believe he goes by the name "Satan", if I'm not mistaken.

Jokes aside, it's the classic storyteller.

QuoteHope a bulk trader comes along to supply you with food!

Me too man, me too.

Listy

Quote from: Duban on October 26, 2015, 06:36:02 PM
I'm 1 year into my first (successful) game and got a crashed drone ship in the spring just as growing season begins. I'm thinking, ok I'll hold off the construction of my new defense line and use the iron to build up a defense against the drones. I have a good food stockpile and a long summer so I'll wait to start planting.

Halfway into my efforts I get frickin' toxic fallout. By the time I complete the assault on the drone ship my men are poisoned and need to go inside. A month later it's the end of July and I'm scrambling everyone I can to plant crops beacuse I'm facing imminent starvation.
Now my men are facing starvation in the middle of FRICKIN' AUGUST because of the brutal RNGods. I can't even hunt because toxic fallout is still killing EVERYTHING, and my Defense is in shambles because I've been too busy to build it up.

I love this game, but my god are you a cruel mistress.

And now you know why people swear by Green houses.

Jarwy

Quote from: Duban on October 26, 2015, 07:38:27 PM
Quote from: milon on October 26, 2015, 07:04:53 PM
Who's your storyteller?  ;)

I believe he goes by the name "Satan", if I'm not mistaken.

Jokes aside, it's the classic storyteller.

Oh Cassie. She's a sweetheart, really. I'm sure she'll send you some dog meat and a casket of beer soon enough.

Livingston I Presume

Mechanoid assault, 6 centipedes 3 with inferno launchers.  Made the mistake of a wooden colony, Great Fire of London Rimworld edition.

Alitaria

Yes. Cassie can be a cruel mistress but if you do make it out she will reward you. Only to punish you harder a bit later on.
If you were fighting under Randy however....Who even knows how much longer.

I have yet to meet someone who hasn't lost some sense of sanity after a few weeks of playing this game, you'll get used to it.

Also, don't worry about the voices, they are your friends -twitch-
Context is key when discussing RimWorld in public

cultist

If you're having trouble with toxic fallout (it can be punishing if it comes early), try keeping an eye on some of the bigger animals on the map. Once they die from the fallout, you can safely send out colonists to haul the corpses if they're not too affected by the fallout already. The meat isn't spoiled.

JimmyAgnt007

Its funny how you can eat animals who died from toxic fallout without becoming poisoned yourself. 

Delgar3

I'm also just on my first playthrough and of course made many, many mistakes but Cassandra decided to throw a mechanoid assault at me just after I finished dealing with a poison ship part. Of course during a solar eclipse after my batteries had been depleted....
My Youtube Channel: Click Here!
Noob Plays Rimworld: Click Here!

Limdood

I got my second ever toxic fallout.

The first time i ever got it was in a boreal forest.  I didn't really know what was going on.  All the animals died of course, and my crops failed, but no biggie, i had stores to spare.

The second time i was less financially prepared - no huge stores...in fact my colony had grown its number much faster than its physical size, so my food was falling.  So i used the fallout to my advantage:

I set everyone in my base to high cooking and hauling priority, built several extra butchering stations, and let my colonists make sprints out into the fallout to collect the animals that died from it.  Finished the fallout with about 1/3 of the animals on the map rotting or dessicated, but the rest stocked my freezer with almost 3000 meat.  I had to limit some pawns to indoor time as their toxicity level rose towards 30%, but no one got seriously ill or suffered any noticeable adverse effects. 

The meat binge also helped get me through the re-grow and re-populate recovery time after the fallout ended.

Dealing with the poison ship that fell RIGHT OUTSIDE MY BASE during the fallout was less fun...

cultist

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on October 27, 2015, 08:58:05 AM
Its funny how you can eat animals who died from toxic fallout without becoming poisoned yourself.

Realistically, colonists should have adverse affects from eating animals who died of fallout. However, since the toxic fallout is already a pretty harsh event if you're not used to it, I could see this being off-putting to newer players. If the meat spoiled, it means you could potentially be cut off from any food source for months, if you haven't got indoors farming up and running.

Shadou

Dear, sweet Cassie was a bitch to me one game; I had a toxic fallout following a pirate raid that destroyed my spaceship-in-progress that was outside my base(I was still new and naive, and still building with wood!). A day or few into it I had a man hunting rhinoes event. The rhinoes didn't die off until everything else on the map was rotting (doesn't take long on a desert map in the summer), and during the fallout event I had three events kill my hydroponics: electrical short at night, blight, solar flare. Before the string of events, I thought about selling off some of my 1000's of frozen potatoes. By the end of the string of events, I was running out of food. Glad I didn't sell.