Anyone else settle on wild boars?

Started by Loki88, October 27, 2015, 12:46:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loki88

I always seem to find myself in short supply of dogs to haul things for the colony. I just wind up taming wild boars and training them to haul. Anyone else find themselves doing this? Once I do find myself with enough dogs I just turn the boars in to pork chops :P

Is there a better early game hauler?

Limdood

I find myself using EDB Prepare Carefully mod and usually modify my starting "equipment" to include no silver and 3 dogs; 2 male, 1 female.

Unless the female gets killed in a freak accident (not all that uncommon), i'm usually solid on haulers AND able to get puppies when i want.

As far as base game haulers, i'm pretty sure your only options are elephant, warg, and boar aren't they?  everything else has either too-low intelligence or is too small.  Of those 3, the boar is the safest and most populous, so would obviously be the best choice.  If you have a starting warg and have a good tamer though, getting 3-4 wargs could get a breeding program going that, while would do rather little for hauling, as training a warg is so hard, would make for a vicious melee pack.

Loki88

Thrumbos can also haul but are ridiculously hard to tame / train and eat a ludicrous amount of food.

mercurochrome_

I just noticed pigs can haul and rescue just like dogs, and they breed pretty fast too

oddible

cultist

Quote from: oddible on October 29, 2015, 03:57:26 PM
Wait what? Dogs can haul!?
Yorkies can't rescue or haul, but I think all the other breeds are capable.

Loki88

Quote from: cultist on October 29, 2015, 07:46:28 PM

Do yorkies serve any purpose other than raider distractions?

TLHeart

Quote from: Loki88 on October 30, 2015, 10:23:39 AM
Quote from: cultist on October 29, 2015, 07:46:28 PM

none what so ever since the nuzzle happiness is broken.

Lvxferre

Every time the game gives me one, I simply mark it for slaughter.

cultist

I consider it a little extra challenge keeping them alive. They're useless, eat up your food and can't handle cold weather. Perfect for ice sheet masochists.

Angiel

i use them to get money :)))) i sell the babies to the merchant and voila free silver to buy legs or whatever.