Hey Tynan - A few suggestions

Started by fifasnipe2224, October 08, 2013, 04:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fifasnipe2224

(1) Would it possible to add a story overview once your base has fully fallen and you have lost? Maybe a small computer log overviewing some of the major events. Would be cool to re live the story with a quick broad overview from another perspective. This might help with the storytelling feel of the game.

(2) Maybe at the end of a game we could read a journal that one or a few of your citizen kept during the game. Another way to relive the game from another point of view. I love that the focus of this game is story telling, I think this might add a lot to that aspect.

(3) Is there a combat log? Something that gives you details of a firefight as they happen.

(4) A huge part of FTL is being able to upgrade your devices. Are you able to (or any plans on being able to) upgrade turrets, walls, power, weapons, skill training, food production, ect.

(4) Any further thoughts into adding a few lower Z-levels?

Yarkista

Quote from: fifasnipe2224 on October 08, 2013, 04:16:20 PM
(1) Would it possible to add a story overview once your base has fully fallen and you have lost? Maybe a small computer log overviewing some of the major events. Would be cool to re live the story with a quick broad overview from another perspective. This might help with the storytelling feel of the game.

(2) Maybe at the end of a game we could read a journal that one or a few of your citizen kept during the game. Another way to relive the game from another point of view. I love that the focus of this game is story telling, I think this might add a lot to that aspect.

(3) Is there a combat log? Something that gives you details of a firefight as they happen.

(4) A huge part of FTL is being able to upgrade your devices. Are you able to (or any plans on being able to) upgrade turrets, walls, power, weapons, skill training, food production, ect.

(4) Any further thoughts into adding a few lower Z-levels?

For number 4, it's a no untill a lot thurther down the line.

British

Seems like the OP leans seriously over "Suggestion" territory...

Anyway, I'm not Tynan, but he can't be everywhere, so here goes:
(1)(2) That would be nice, and I think Tynan spoke about it at one moment or another, but I'm not sure.
Something like Zafehouse Diaries, but with less details would be awesome.

(3) Not for the time being.

(4) We don't know yet what plans Tynan has (or do we ?).

(5) (because two "4" is excessive) Oh hai mister Search function, what do you bring today ? Answers ? Yummy !

(And here I go quoting myself again, AspenShadow-style, but this time I'm quoting myself quoting Tynan ;))
http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=119.msg1548#msg1548
"I am afraid that there is basically no way a modder would ever be able to mod Z-axis into the game. It is a beast of a feature. Here's some basic issues you'd have to handle:

-Pathfinding
-Lighting spilling over Z-levels
-Save/load of a geometrically larger amount of stuff (e.g. 200x200 map = 40k squares, 200x200x10 = 400k squares!)
-Line of sight for shooting
-AI tactical analysis of shooting lines of sight etc
-Cover usefullness varying at vertical angles
-Interface for moving through Z-levels
-Rendering visible lower Z-levels while being on higher ones

I could go on and on... Anyway, there is tons to do in RimWorld, my general thought is that the best cost/benefit move is to leave Z-levels to Towns, DF, Gnomoria, Stonehearth, and all those other games and focus on what RimWorld is really uniquely about: AI Storyteller, tactical AI, and so on.

So that's another way of explaining why I'm not planning Z-levels soon. But they're possible! Eventually.
"

To close, something that's useful on every forum on the internet: if you don't feel like reading every single thread on the forum to see if your questions have been asked and answered already, which is understandable, then at least please use the Search function.

Yarkista

And with that we're done, lock thread?

AspenShadow

Quote from: British on October 08, 2013, 04:30:15 PM
Anyway, I'm not Tynan, but he can't be everywhere, so here goes:
(1)(2) That would be nice, and I think Tynan spoke about it at one moment or another, but I'm not sure.
Something like Zafehouse Diaries, but with less details would be awesome.

(3) Not for the time being.

(4) We don't know yet what plans Tynan has (or do we ?).

(5) (because two "4" is excessive) Oh hai mister Search function, what do you bring today ? Answers ? Yummy !

(And here I go quoting myself again, AspenShadow-style, but this time quoting Tynan ;))
http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=119.msg1548#msg1548

...Curse you British!

And yes, for (1) the idea of a Captain's Log has been brought up that would detail the events of your playthrough in a fairly rough manner and it would come up similar to the Codex or pop up at the end of Cycles and then completed at the end of the game (Civ-style).

Tynan's already mentioned that he loved the ending to Civ games; where it demonstrates your Civ's development and empire expansion over the course of the game, and it might be a nice idea to think about something like that for how your colony grew given it's only 200x200 map size.

Zeiph

About colony growing follow-up, there is a nice feature in PA that may also have an interest in RW: the integrated timelapse function. For people who don't know timelapse is there is a random exemple, picked from PA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow2BUfRfxc8 . The game take a picture at determined frequency and then puts everything in a video file (most usually .avi files as it requires few to no compression) that keeps track of the evolution of the map during a playthrough.

Demonlord091

The one thing the game needs most of all is a new engine. It needs more memory, so an upgrade to x64 is kind of necessary.

tmo97

"-Pathfinding
-Lighting spilling over Z-levels
-Save/load of a geometrically larger amount of stuff (e.g. 200x200 map = 40k squares, 200x200x10 = 400k squares!)
-Line of sight for shooting
-AI tactical analysis of shooting lines of sight etc
-Cover usefullness varying at vertical angles
-Interface for moving through Z-levels
-Rendering visible lower Z-levels while being on higher ones"

such a load of crap and it's just the same argument unfolded into 5 different ways of saying it: too much work and performance is bad therefore lets not ever try it at all and never have fun.

Interface is literally just up/down button, skip rendering lower levels and only use LEVELS. no line of sight crap, no complicated from Z-2 to Z-6 shooting, stop overcomplicating it and allow people to dig down. don't keep every level loaded in ram constantly.

it took like 5 seconds for me to destroy these arguments and since you're the one working on this for a long time and this is the only reason you can say no it sounds like you just don't want it and you don't really have good reasons.