[A12d][ModPack] The ModVarietyPack

Started by simon-82, November 01, 2015, 02:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic_Boss

Is this not supposed to work with the current release? I've been trying to install it and get all mods working but I keep getting the 'incompatible or corrupt mods' message that keeps stopping me from activating the mods, I've tried a fresh install, re-downloading and everything else, what gives?

I haven't installed any other mods either, just the ones in this pack.

Dopper

Quote from: Vic_Boss on November 01, 2015, 07:40:56 PM
Is this not supposed to work with the current release? I've been trying to install it and get all mods working but I keep getting the 'incompatible or corrupt mods' message that keeps stopping me from activating the mods, I've tried a fresh install, re-downloading and everything else, what gives?

I haven't installed any other mods either, just the ones in this pack.

What do you mean? did you follow the instructions in the readme?

TLHeart

not everyone who uses these forums knows how to report an issue on git hub.

TLHeart

Quote from: Sukha on November 01, 2015, 05:15:50 PM
Right off the bat I can say, I like the overall quality of the mod. Feels very clean. Research tree is very well done for once lol.

A few UI elements are missing. Like the ability to assign priorities to all colonists not 1 at a time, same thing with medicine. Stonecutters table needs separate queries for different types of blocks.

Since Enhanced tabs is loaded after Edb interface, the edB interface is overwritten, and the nice feature across the top to set every colonist to the same number in mass is missing.  Change the order of those two mods, loading edb after enhanced tabs, and you will get the top bar back, but loose the sorting ability provided by Enhanced.

Stone cutting just needs the stone cutting tweeks mod.

Dopper

I dont understand your problem with the way stone cutting is handled, just create a bill with the type of stone you want enabled and disable the rest.

to avoid another post, i think the glassworks is broken, at least in my build. (can build and assign bills, but no one ever does them or can i assign a pawn to do it, the tooltip doesnt show when i right click)

TLHeart

Quote from: Dopper on November 01, 2015, 09:01:32 PM
I dont understand your problem with the way stone cutting is handled, just create a bill with the type of stone you want enabled and disable the rest.

to avoid another post, i think the glassworks is broken, at least in my build. (can build and assign bills, but no one ever does them or can i assign a pawn to do it, the tooltip doesnt show when i right click)

He is used to the stone tweeks mod, where you can set do until by stone type, for each stone, and never have to change it.

TLHeart

Bug, Tailors table is available before tailoring is researched. I am already tailoring cloths right after crafting 1.... then saw that tailoring unlocks the tailors table. 

TLHeart

Glass works has no workgiver, so can not be used. Which means many things can not be built...

Fluffy (l2032)

Quote from: TLHeart on November 01, 2015, 08:41:31 PM
Right off the bat I can say, I like the overall quality of the mod. Feels very clean. Research tree is very well done for once lol.

A few UI elements are missing. Like the ability to assign priorities to all colonists not 1 at a time, same thing with medicine. Stonecutters table needs separate queries for different types of blocks.

Since Enhanced tabs is loaded after Edb interface, the edB interface is overwritten, and the nice feature across the top to set every colonist to the same number in mass is missing.  Change the order of those two mods, loading edb after enhanced tabs, and you will get the top bar back, but loose the sorting ability provided by Enhanced.

Enhanced has the same functionality, but you need to click the column headers  (i.e. jobtype names) to mass assign priorities.

Sukha

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on November 02, 2015, 03:40:24 AM
Quote from: TLHeart on November 01, 2015, 08:41:31 PM

Enhanced has the same functionality, but you need to click the column headers  (i.e. jobtype names) to mass assign priorities.

Thx for the Info guys!

I think Rimsenal weaponry needs some balancing. Its way too good compared to other weapons. Especially considering how high the hit % are. Dmg needs to be toned down quite a bit.

Seeds.... winter comes crops die seeds go to shit. During winter colonists reseed the field since its warm enough, cold comes again crops die again. No more seeds gg, wp, best feature I r8 8/8.
Even if you bring up arguments that you can micromanage field sowing. The mechanics are still shit for this, since you cannot set any rules on when to seed when not to etc. If you mistime this, you are forced to collect crops before 100% which gives no seeds back.

Can someone explain to me what they find so appealing about Seeds mod? Is it the fact that it supposingly limits your ability to just farm away? Because it really doesn't. Just buy a metric ton of seeds at the beginning of the game and you can farm to your hearts content.
Farming is already balanced by the work required to maintain it. I would rather like to see a mod that limits the farmable land at the beginning and makes the player cultivate land first before farming is possible. I am not talking about crazy shit that requires electricity. I am talking about irrigation and fertilizer that was practiced by humans long before electricity.

simon-82

Alright, thanks for all the feedback so far!
New release is up. I think I got all the serious issues that came up.

Regarding Github, it's really not that hard reporting an issue there and it's much easier to keep track of things for me. Just follow the link I gave you in the OP. I would really appreciate it :)

Quote from: Sukha on November 02, 2015, 04:01:02 AM
I think Rimsenal weaponry needs some balancing. Its way too good compared to other weapons. Especially considering how high the hit % are. Dmg needs to be toned down quite a bit.
I didn't modify the Rimsenal weapons myself and I actually don't plan to do so, at least for now. Rooki1 made the weapons compatible with Combat Realism and they are pretty powerful, you are right. On the other hand they are really hard to make (skillwise and costwise) and are your end-game heavy weapons. Once you reach that phase with huge raids you will need some powerful weapons to survive.

QuoteSeeds.... winter comes crops die seeds go to shit. During winter colonists reseed the field since its warm enough, cold comes again crops die again. No more seeds gg, wp, best feature I r8 8/8.
Even if you bring up arguments that you can micromanage field sowing. The mechanics are still shit for this, since you cannot set any rules on when to seed when not to etc. If you mistime this, you are forced to collect crops before 100% which gives no seeds back.
Regarding winter and you losing seeds, I think that's what the sunlamp is for. If I play on cold biomes I focus on indoor growing pods with sunlamps and heaters. So I would never lose crops/seeds and can grow all year round. That is, if I don't lose power ;)

QuoteCan someone explain to me what they find so appealing about Seeds mod? Is it the fact that it supposingly limits your ability to just farm away? Because it really doesn't. Just buy a metric ton of seeds at the beginning of the game and you can farm to your hearts content.
Farming is already balanced by the work required to maintain it. I would rather like to see a mod that limits the farmable land at the beginning and makes the player cultivate land first before farming is possible. I am not talking about crazy shit that requires electricity. I am talking about irrigation and fertilizer that was practiced by humans long before electricity.
While I can understand you don't like seeds, I really do like having them. You just have to plan around them when growing
And yes, it's more work to maintain a field with seeds. But once that gets too much to handle for the colonists you should be ready to deploy some haul-bots and it should be fine.
By the way, interesting idea about the farmable land! Could be done by tweaking the map generator maybe. And implementing an easy way to create soil or rich soil right from the start.

Sukha

Quote from: simon-82 on November 02, 2015, 06:30:55 AM
I didn't modify the Rimsenal weapons myself and I actually don't plan to do so, at least for now. Rooki1 made the weapons compatible with Combat Realism and they are pretty powerful, you are right. On the other hand they are really hard to make (skillwise and costwise) and are your end-game heavy weapons. Once you reach that phase with huge raids you will need some powerful weapons to survive.

You say you are making a modpack based on Combat Realism balance, yet you have no plans on adjusting weapon balance. -wtf?
Endgame weapons u say? I am playing on Hildegarde Extreme, raiders usually carry rimsenal weaponry in this modpack. Not to mention rimsenal raids themselves. And are not in any way limited by game progression. If rimsenal weapons were actually scarce and hard to get, I would agree with their stats. In my game right now I have 10 collonists all of them packing rimsenal weapons.

Quote from: simon-82 on November 02, 2015, 06:30:55 AM
Regarding winter and you losing seeds, I think that's what the sunlamp is for. If I play on cold biomes I focus on indoor growing pods with sunlamps and heaters. So I would never lose crops/seeds and can grow all year round. That is, if I don't lose power ;)
While I can understand you don't like seeds, I really do like having them. You just have to plan around them when growing.

Closeminded argument,- maybe a player wants to farm without sunlamps.... stacking on food during growing seasons and surviving winter.

Fluffy (l2032)

@Sukha;
The modpack also includes combat realism, so if rimsenal is balanced for combat realism, that should be ok. I can totally see why simon doesn't want to alter the individual mods when the author already did this balancing (if you don't agree with that balancing, go bug the author, I'm sure he has his reasons!).

As for seeds, I personally hate them in all scenarios so I'll definitely turn them off when I try this pack tonight. On the other hand, if you want to play the way you describe, how hard is it to just disable seeding in autumn, hope to get your last harvest in on time and then start seeding again in spring?

(that being said, this does give me an idea for a little mod to manage farming settings)

P.S. Modders are providing additional content for free. You can ask for improvements, back them with arguments, and even disagree about how something is implemented - but it's not the modders responsibility to do it your way, or even please potential users. You might want to remember that when you ask for changes. In the end, if you don't like something, don't use it, or make it yourself just the way you like it.
This is my opinion at least.

simon-82

Quote from: Sukha on November 02, 2015, 06:53:05 AM
You say you are making a modpack based on Combat Realism balance, yet you have no plans on adjusting weapon balance. -wtf?
Endgame weapons u say? I am playing on Hildegarde Extreme, raiders usually carry rimsenal weaponry in this modpack. Not to mention rimsenal raids themselves. And are not in any way limited by game progression. If rimsenal weapons were actually scarce and hard to get, I would agree with their stats. In my game right now I have 10 collonists all of them packing rimsenal weapons.
Of course I want to adjust weapon balance where necessary. All the extra weapons are already modified by me. Just not the rimsenal weapons. And this was on purpose.
As for you getting them so easy, that's not as I intended.
I was just spawning a bunch of raids to test this and didn't have that many guys with rimsenal weapons. Sure, the rimsenal faction has them, but other than that, not so much.
Can you help me here? Which faction had most of them?
And let's say, the rimsenal weapons keep their stats. You got an idea how to restrict their availability? They are hard to craft already and pretty expensive to buy. The thing is, other factions shouldn't carry them in mass. Maybe that's the only real problem here?
I plan on adding a bunch more of the normal weapons form project armory and have the rimsenal stuff as endgame. That's the plan anyways.

QuoteCloseminded argument,- maybe a player wants to farm without sunlamps.... stacking on food during growing seasons and surviving winter.
I think we are agreeing here on not agreeing at all :)
If you want to do it that way, go ahead. But then you of course run the risk of losing it all once your crops start dying in winter time. But that's entirely your fault by not planning accordingly. And you chose to do it that way when there are other options. I was just trying to show you a solution to the problem you described.

dismar

Hey you have Pumpkin listed twice in a few defs