[A12d][ModPack] The ModVarietyPack

Started by simon-82, November 01, 2015, 02:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simon-82

Quote from: dismar on November 02, 2015, 08:35:20 AM
Hey you have Pumpkin listed twice in a few defs
Thanks! I just love pumpkins, nah, it was because of Halloween, nah, my bad thanks for finding it though :)

Sukha

Quote from: simon-82 on November 02, 2015, 08:00:39 AM
I think we are agreeing here on not agreeing at all :)
If you want to do it that way, go ahead. But then you of course run the risk of losing it all once your crops start dying in winter time. But that's entirely your fault by not planning accordingly. And you chose to do it that way when there are other options. I was just trying to show you a solution to the problem you described.

Its not my fault, its faulty mechanics. All plants don't die during winter period, they go dormant. But this is not farming simulator, hence I should not be micromanaging growing cycles and seed planting.
I am not here for a guide on how to not loose my plants due to stupid mechanic. Just voicing my observations on obvious flaws in the said mechanics.

You are closing an eye on an issue by saying that you don't have to use it that way...
I thought mods were supposed to expand possibilities, not limit them.

On Rimsenal issue. Idk man, everyone who is not Tribespeople have Rimsenal gear. Sometimes more sometimes less, but when its beginning of the game on Hildegun after like 5 raids all my colonists have OP Rimsenal stuff. Progression in this game with weapons never works precisely because of the random factor. Which is why it would be more fun to straight up balance all weapons and allow for ultimate variety.

Vic_Boss

Quote from: Dopper on November 01, 2015, 08:11:02 PM
Quote from: Vic_Boss on November 01, 2015, 07:40:56 PM
Is this not supposed to work with the current release? I've been trying to install it and get all mods working but I keep getting the 'incompatible or corrupt mods' message that keeps stopping me from activating the mods, I've tried a fresh install, re-downloading and everything else, what gives?

I haven't installed any other mods either, just the ones in this pack.

What do you mean? did you follow the instructions in the readme? And I mean that I can't activate some of the mods in the pack because every time I activate some of them, the a message pops up saying that some mods were incompatible or corrupted and all of the mods were de-activated. Am I doing something wrong or what?

I would have read the readme file if the file was openable and wasn't an unknown format for me, and

skullywag

Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

hwfanatic

Three pages and a readme later I still have no idea what this modpack does.

Morkul

Played it some now but I really dislike the seed part so much that it removes all the fun for me.  Not adding realism just micromanagement, IMHO.

So now to the big question: Is there any east way to disable seeds without braking the whole mod pack?

TLHeart

Quote from: skullywag on November 02, 2015, 09:13:40 AM
Readme:

https://github.com/simon-82/ModVarietyPack/blob/master/README.md

that is not a true readme file, since it requires you to go to a web page... a readme file NEEDS to be able to be opened locally.

TLHeart

on the overpowered rimsinel weapons... 1st raid, shiv, second raid tribal, 3rd raid via a chased refugee event, I have 1 optic pistol.  4th raid, more tribal. artifact event, 2 sythers, dead thanks to the huge tribal visitors. 6th event, peacekeepers, now have 3 optic pistols, 1 optics rifle, for my 6 colonists.

Raids are now a non event.

On github, requires an account.

And since I stopped playing when I hit the broken glassworks, I will say this about seeds... Great Idea, but really does not work in game.  Don't need seeds to prevent being able to grow everything from the beginning. Saying that Just growing inside eliminates the problem, is a closed minded argument.. especially since the first part says, "★ A modpack about variety and player choice. "

Seeds adds lots of micromanagement, extra work time, and a whole lot of frustration to the game. People either love or hate seeds, very few are in the middle.

Beautancus

Kind of (actually very) n00b question, first forum post and all...and I'm sure I'm missing something very plainly stated somewhere...but what's the correct load order for the mods in this pack?

TLHeart

Quote from: Beautancus on November 02, 2015, 01:26:48 PM
Kind of (actually very) n00b question, first forum post and all...and I'm sure I'm missing something very plainly stated somewhere...but what's the correct load order for the mods in this pack?

he provides the correct load order via the modconfig file, which is in his savedata file.

dismar

I personally hate seeds myself. But i've been asked by ppl who love the seeds to write my large mod to use them.

I love the changes you've made to the garden in this mod.

I think you will get more bad feed back from the seeds then you expect. I write my mod in two flavors one with seeds and one without. The one without gets updated first and Is loved by a lot more ppl. By since I try and write for all the ppl I'm try and supply both.

Writing a mod is such a pain in the ass lol. And you've put a lot of work into this mod pack. I would definitely love to see a seedless version of this mod. But even so it's a good first release. Have fun tracking down the bugs !

simon-82

Quote from: TLHeart on November 02, 2015, 01:06:44 PM
that is not a true readme file, since it requires you to go to a web page... a readme file NEEDS to be able to be opened locally.
Well, the readme file is included in the modpack and my Windows Editor can open it just fine...

Quote from: TLHeart on November 02, 2015, 01:24:21 PM
on the overpowered rimsinel weapons... 1st raid, shiv, second raid tribal, 3rd raid via a chased refugee event, I have 1 optic pistol.  4th raid, more tribal. artifact event, 2 sythers, dead thanks to the huge tribal visitors. 6th event, peacekeepers, now have 3 optic pistols, 1 optics rifle, for my 6 colonists.
And since I stopped playing when I hit the broken glassworks, I will say this about seeds... Great Idea, but really does not work in game.  Don't need seeds to prevent being able to grow everything from the beginning. Saying that Just growing inside eliminates the problem, is a closed minded argument.. especially since the first part says, "★ A modpack about variety and player choice. "

Seeds adds lots of micromanagement, extra work time, and a whole lot of frustration to the game. People either love or hate seeds, very few are in the middle.
The rimsenal weapons are a problem I will need to figure out. They just appear too randomly. I can't poperly control when the player gets them. Maybe I remove the rimsenal faction and just leave the weapons in. So they can get crafted lategame or bought for tons of silver?

It is very true what you say about seeds. People either love or hate seeds and you made it quite clear what you think about them. If you read my posts again you can see that I just showed the guy a possible solution for his problem. I never said that growing inside is the only way to play it "right".
As for seeds adding lots of micromanagement. As Fluffy said earlier: "how hard is it to just disable seeding in autumn, hope to get your last harvest in on time and then start seeding again in spring?" That's lots of micromanagement?
As for seeds adding extra work time. True, but I there are haul bots in the modpack. They are pretty good at suppoerting your growers if they at some point can't handle it alone.

But I actually had enough of the discussion now if seeds are "good" or not.
I decided they should be in the modpack because I like having them.
I also explained why I think that they don't limit player choice.
So let's leave it that way, people love or hate seeds, no matter what ;)

Quote from: dismar on November 02, 2015, 03:20:01 PM
I personally hate seeds myself. But i've been asked by ppl who love the seeds to write my large mod to use them.

I love the changes you've made to the garden in this mod.

I think you will get more bad feed back from the seeds then you expect. I write my mod in two flavors one with seeds and one without. The one without gets updated first and Is loved by a lot more ppl. By since I try and write for all the ppl I'm try and supply both.

Writing a mod is such a pain in the ass lol. And you've put a lot of work into this mod pack. I would definitely love to see a seedless version of this mod. But even so it's a good first release. Have fun tracking down the bugs !
Thanks for the kind words dismar!
Ah well, I did the modpack for myself in the first place. I am not here to please anybody. If people like it, they can play with it, if not, they just don't.
And thanks for finding the double pumpkins hehe... it's already fixed :)

Beautancus

Appreciated.

TLHeart

removing the faction will not affect when the weapons spawn in, as  the weapon is available, it will be used by other factions, at anytime. the ONLY factions limited to specific weapons are the tribal, and the mechs.

As dismar said, he has two versions of his mod pack, without seeds, his preferred style, and one with seeds, so others can also use his mod.

an MD extension is NOT a default mode that can be open by any windows program. Try to actually read an md file opened with notepad.... or wordpad.  a true readme file is a text file.

TLHeart

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on November 02, 2015, 03:40:24 AM
Quote from: TLHeart on November 01, 2015, 08:41:31 PM
Quote from: Sukha on November 01, 2015, 05:15:50 PM
Right off the bat I can say, I like the overall quality of the mod. Feels very clean. Research tree is very well done for once lol.

A few UI elements are missing. Like the ability to assign priorities to all colonists not 1 at a time, same thing with medicine. Stonecutters table needs separate queries for different types of blocks.

Since Enhanced tabs is loaded after Edb interface, the edB interface is overwritten, and the nice feature across the top to set every colonist to the same number in mass is missing.  Change the order of those two mods, loading edb after enhanced tabs, and you will get the top bar back, but loose the sorting ability provided by Enhanced.

Stone cutting just needs the stone cutting tweeks mod.
Enhanced has the same functionality, but you need to click the column headers  (i.e. jobtype names) to mass assign priorities.

Fluffy, all clicking the jobtype does is sort by skill level, it does not set the entire column to a job priority of 1 or 2 or 3 or 4, like I can with the EdB interface. At least with the version supplied with this mod.