[A12d][ModPack] The ModVarietyPack

Started by simon-82, November 01, 2015, 02:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simon-82

Quote from: JAVAgamer on November 05, 2015, 02:51:46 PM
This is a great modpack!

The tech tree is realistic and has a very helpful interface (those small comments and stories are humorus) and the production chains (as far as I have seen) are very simple.
Unlike some other modpacks, this one doesn't overwhelm you with over 9000 different tiny items that are a living hell to micromanage and a completely "why the fuck would I do that?" research tree that literally send you to the stone age, expecting you to research your way up.
And all the mods work so well together.

Overall, I give this modpack a 10/10 rating!
Aww, thanks so much JAVAgamer! I am glad you enjoy it. If you got any ideas feel free to share them.

Also thanks to Encrtia for a long but very nice comment!

TLHeart

Quote from: simon-82 on November 05, 2015, 11:33:45 AM
Uhm, so I am away from my thread for a couple of days and this happens?

Oh well, nothing better than some good old Internet drama I guess? LOL

Anyway, I have been working on the modpack in the meantime :)
And I bring you today version 1.1 of the ModVarietyPack :)

What has changed:
So I heard you guys do not like seeds very much? I kinda do, but in all these posts was one idea that really got me thinking. It was this one here:
Quote from: Sukha on November 02, 2015, 04:01:02 AM
Farming is already balanced by the work required to maintain it. I would rather like to see a mod that limits the farmable land at the beginning and makes the player cultivate land first before farming is possible. I am not talking about crazy shit that requires electricity. I am talking about irrigation and fertilizer that was practiced by humans long before electricity.
So I got to work and came up with a new system without seeds.

In the new version there is a new system in place that only lets you gro on land you cultivated for growing first. On this soil you can plant the basic (Tier I I'm calling it) plants. Later you can fertilize the soil by adding Mulch to it. This allows better plants to be grown (Tier II). The next step would be to add water to the soil, this allows Tier III pants. And finally adding both (Fertilizer + Water) allows for "enriched soil" to plant the best plants in the modpack.
So far I think it's a pretty neat system.

Internet drama, Sky does not want an alternative, which you are providing.
Expect more attacks.

Now that is one interesting idea and implementation on crop growing... may just have to download and try it again.  Will have to see what you consider the different plant tiers to be. So long as you did not lock herbal medicine as a hi tier item, I will enjoy the new challenge.

Dopper

Love the new farming system.
By the way do you recommend a clean install?
Ive been overwriting without problems or should i expect any on the long run?

dismar

Sukha

Quote from: simon-82 on November 05, 2015, 11:33:45 AM
Uhm, so I am away from my thread for a couple of days and this happens?

Oh well, nothing better than some good old Internet drama I guess? LOL

Anyway, I have been working on the modpack in the meantime :)
And I bring you today version 1.1 of the ModVarietyPack :)

What has changed:
So I heard you guys do not like seeds very much? I kinda do, but in all these posts was one idea that really got me thinking. It was this one here:
Quote from: Sukha on November 02, 2015, 04:01:02 AM
Farming is already balanced by the work required to maintain it. I would rather like to see a mod that limits the farmable land at the beginning and makes the player cultivate land first before farming is possible. I am not talking about crazy shit that requires electricity. I am talking about irrigation and fertilizer that was practiced by humans long before electricity.
So I got to work and came up with a new system without seeds.

In the new version there is a new system in place that only lets you gro on land you cultivated for growing first. On this soil you can plant the basic (Tier I I'm calling it) plants. Later you can fertilize the soil by adding Mulch to it. This allows better plants to be grown (Tier II). The next step would be to add water to the soil, this allows Tier III pants. And finally adding both (Fertilizer + Water) allows for "enriched soil" to plant the best plants in the modpack.
So far I think it's a pretty neat system.

Well shit, mad respect and credit goes to you my friend. The system you describe is exactly what I had in mind lol, but don't let me get in on the limelight here.
Will try the new version asap.

Quote from: Dopper on November 05, 2015, 08:33:41 PM
Love the new farming system.
By the way do you recommend a clean install?
Ive been overwriting without problems or should i expect any on the long run?

Always clean install, if you encounter bugs you have no right to report them if you do a dirty install like that.

Delete all mods including core, copy clean core from backup, delete modconfig, start game without mods. Install new version of modpack, play.

About the new version:
Playing on Hild Extreme, getting only tribal raids now. Are other raids ever comming? I have many hostiles in the Factions tab, but no one ever comes.
About tribals, maybe add Norbals/Pirates for some variety? (will need to balance their weaponry though)

simon-82

Quote from: Sukha on November 05, 2015, 09:54:03 PM
About the new version:
Playing on Hild Extreme, getting only tribal raids now. Are other raids ever comming? I have many hostiles in the Factions tab, but no one ever comes.
About tribals, maybe add Norbals/Pirates for some variety? (will need to balance their weaponry though)
Hm, I did not touch the factions. Only toned down the dmg / accuracy of the rimsenal weapons. I will take a look at Norbals and see how much work it would be to bring other factions in.

Quote from: TLHeart on November 05, 2015, 05:10:08 PMSo long as you did not lock herbal medicine as a hi tier item, I will enjoy the new challenge.
Herbal meds are available very early at the chemlab. Need power though.
Btw, thanks for reporting the issue on github! I have it fixed soon :)

Pheanox

I haven't played the new version yet but I will this weekend, these thoughts are based on the first version:

I greatly enjoyed this modpack, it worked fairly flawlessly.  I like the quotes added to research.  This is definitely the mod-pack I'll be using for now.  And I love the Seeds Please mod, so I stand with you on that issue.  I'll check out the new system though, it seems interesting.

Couple of questions for you though.  I heard there is an issue with glass-making, is that fixed?   I noticed it wasn't mentioned in your little patch notes on the forum. 

A possible incompatibility:  I added Mountain Temp to this mod and all mountain rooms had a temperature of 0 and would not warm up.  Not sure if that is an incompatibility with the mod and your modpack, or a bug with the Mountain Temp mod.

Look forward to trying out the new farming system!

TLHeart

Brainstorm time,
big question is how to identify as I progress which plants I can plant where. Unlock the plants that need fertilizer, compost, but there is no indication when I set the field up, that the plant I select will not be sowed in that field, until it is fertilized... and I hate making lists to refer to as I play.

Some type of grouping of the plants in the grow tab possible? after the flowers, and regular trees, then all the plants are alphabetized, with no way to tell what plants require better soil.

simon-82

Quote from: TLHeart on November 06, 2015, 07:33:12 AM
Brainstorm time,
big question is how to identify as I progress which plants I can plant where. Unlock the plants that need fertilizer, compost, but there is no indication when I set the field up, that the plant I select will not be sowed in that field, until it is fertilized... and I hate making lists to refer to as I play.

Some type of grouping of the plants in the grow tab possible? after the flowers, and regular trees, then all the plants are alphabetized, with no way to tell what plants require better soil.
I have written it in the research projects.
Maybe also add something to the description of each plant? If you select the growing zone and  then the plant to grow, there is an "i" symbol which opens the description. Maybe add "requires at least fertilized soil to grow" there?

paragonid

simon-82, hello, would love to hear the answer for this too:

Quote from: Pheanox on November 06, 2015, 04:43:07 AM
I heard there is an issue with glass-making, is that fixed?

simon-82

Quote from: paragonid on November 06, 2015, 10:11:42 AM
simon-82, hello, would love to hear the answer for this too:

I heard there is an issue with glass-making, is that fixed?
Sorry! Yes that is fixed ;)

I actually just updated the modpack again, this brings it up to version 1.11.
Changelog and download here as always :)
As pointed out before, always do a clean install.

Dopper

Well you seem the versatile type, can you please add a way to copy bills from a worktable to another (of the same type)? i guess im not the only one thinking about this.

simon-82

A possible incompatibility:  I added Mountain Temp to this mod and all mountain rooms had a temperature of 0 and would not warm up.  Not sure if that is an incompatibility with the mod and your modpack, or a bug with the Mountain Temp mod.
Not sure what is going on there as I haven't tried this mod yet. There is the redist-heat mod in the modpack that messes with temperature stuff. Nothing else. Hm, have you tried loading that mod before or after the modpack?

Quote from: Dopper on November 06, 2015, 11:29:07 AM
Well you seem the versatile type, can you please add a way to copy bills from a worktable to another (of the same type)? i guess im not the only one thinking about this.
That seems like a pretty cool idea but I have really no idea how that could be done unfortunately.

Wild Card

Hey this looks really great
I`m going to try it right now, keep it up, and thanx for what appears to be a great modpack ;)

Dopper

Quote from: simon-82 on November 06, 2015, 11:50:48 AM
Not sure what is going on there as I haven't tried this mod yet. There is the redist-heat mod in the modpack that messes with temperature stuff. Nothing else. Hm, have you tried loading that mod before or after the modpack?

Quote from: Dopper on November 06, 2015, 11:29:07 AM
That seems like a pretty cool idea but I have really no idea how that could be done unfortunately.
Thanks for thinking about it at least xD