[A12d][ModPack] The ModVarietyPack

Started by simon-82, November 01, 2015, 02:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simon-82

Quote from: TLHeart on November 17, 2015, 01:52:01 PM
I have to agree that a 2% increase for fertilizing soil does not work. I as the player should get to choose what plants get the grow/output boost, not be locked in by arbitrary program decisions. If I want a fast growing potato farm, and slow growing low yield carrots, that should be my choice. Having plants the require better soil to even be planted is fine, and realistic. But getting a minuscule increase from improving the soil of other plants is not.

The curve needs to follow the base game, cultivated soil base grow time. Fertilized soil should increase the growth rate by at least 10%, watered soil another 10% and enriched soil another 20%. The base game rich soil is 140% of normal soil.

Right now there is no incentive to ever improve the soil, if you don't want to grow the additional plants.
The problem is, there is only one value to tweak that. Fertility.
Let's say the fertility of cultivated soil (the base) is 100% and fertilized is 140%.
Now you plant potatoes on cultivated soil. They need a 100% soil to grow, so they grow at 100% and get a big boost on fertilized soil. All is fine.
Here is the problem:
The better plant needs at least a soil with 140% fertility to grow. Now it won't grow if you seed that on cultivated soil BUT if you seed it on fertilized soil it will still grow with a big boost of 140%. But it should actually grow at around 100%.

EDIT: 2nd hotfix is ready to download (v.1.14b)

- fixed electric oven workgiver
- nerfed minigun turret
- lowered the amount of work for extracting biomatter
- buffed the output of Xerigum. Now 3 per plant in 10 days. Up from 1 per plant in 14 days.

Sinza

Something else that bothered me a bit:
The roof support doesn't show the reach of it. Is this intended?

Quote from: simon-82 on November 17, 2015, 02:02:00 PM
Yes the windows are mostly cosmetic. Ourside light won't come through. The only way to get sun into a room is by unroofing it I am afraid.

Thats sad to hear... Maybe changing the windows to be a lightsource with a timed or to the outside lighting conditions connected function would be a workaround?

Quote from: simon-82 on November 17, 2015, 02:02:00 PM
Thanks for the other suggestions.
As for the trees, I think that wouldn't be possible. I would need to make all soil growable again.

If you dont mind getting some suggestions i've got some more :)!?

PS: For the extended Power Switch functionality there is already a mod:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=2890.0

NemesisN

Quote from: TLHeart on November 17, 2015, 01:33:21 PM

Yes combat realism makes that change to the centipedes... It takes a different tactic now to kill mechs, as they are damage resistant to bullets, due to their armor. But they do take damage from frag weapons.

A tank laying down cover fire should decimate infantry, that is what they do.

what tactic to kill them ? they destroy my entire base and kill all people from safe distance....why do they have insane range on a machine gun.....the bullets even spread when it goes long distance hitting everything....my artillery get destroyed....they have a range across half of the map....I need to build in one corner of the map my artillery and hope they land in another corner of the map.....its like a bullet rain I can't defend it....its OP
Join the RimWorld fan community group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1404635226524821/

Fluffy (l2032)

you could put a few walls down, you know. Mortars don't need line of sight to hit. That said, centipedes are a b***h to kill, I agree.

Good to hear the oven is getting fixed, I was starting to think I was going crazy. On that note, what's so special about bread? Seems to take a rather absurd amount of wheat to make flour and then bread, when compared to just making meals?

NemesisN

I still need someone to defend the walls in front for them to not brake in......they will just keep moving forward and be a harder target to kill....mortars are not that accurate
Join the RimWorld fan community group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1404635226524821/

simon-82

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on November 17, 2015, 06:34:19 PM
Good to hear the oven is getting fixed, I was starting to think I was going crazy. On that note, what's so special about bread? Seems to take a rather absurd amount of wheat to make flour and then bread, when compared to just making meals?
Yep, sorry about the oven not working. It was simply too advanced for the colonists to use I suppose.  ::)
And now that it is working, more flour for everybody! Hope that balances the bread in comparison to meals. You also get two loafs of bread for the recipe btw.

v.1.15 released (find it here)
- increased amount of flour from grounding
- fixed syringe recipe
- added radius for RoofSupport
- added CCL standing lamps
- added CaveWorldFlora
- added Mechanoid Terraformer
- added invisible power conduits
- added advanced power switch

NoImageAvailable

One of the things about modding realism into games is it can reveal all kinds of absurdities in a game's setting. If we look at Centipedes for example, we can assume that an Inferno cannon would be a futuristic equivalent to something like a 100mm cannon today, a heavy charge blaster would be equivalent to a 30mm machine cannon. This is the kind of weaponry you'd see on a modern day IFV.

Now if we look at modern day IFV's, they carry (machine) cannons as main armament capable of engaging targets well over a kilometer out with coaxial machine guns capable of engaging point targets at around 800m. In terms of armor they are usually designed to be protected against machine cannons frontally with all-around protection against heavy machine guns.

Now if we consider the Centipede to be a sort of advanced AI IFV without the carrying capacity you'd have something that would perform even better. It would be impervious to anything short of explosives or machine cannons. But Rimworld combat is focused around small scale combat involving light infantry so throwing in an armored combat vehicle like that completely throws off all balance hence nods to gameplay need to be made. For example making Centipedes vulnerable to small arms fire.

But in the end they still act like armored vehicles and pose a very different threat from the light infantry you're normally facing, so you need specialized tactics to defeat them. It used to be easier in previous Alphas, but A12 broke a bunch of stuff regarding aiming which is most noticable with long windup, long burst time weapons such as the Centipedes have. The other problem is the availability of proper anti-tank weapons, I think the addition of an improvised cannon turret akin to the mortar might be helpful. More accurate fire support than a mortar but direct fire only and must still be manned and provided with shells, it would allow the player to effectively combat armored assaults.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

Sinza

Thank you simon!
I'm happy to see that you're reacting this fast to suggested improvements.

Any opinion about my suggested workaround for the windows?

The caveworldflora mod is really nice, a good idea to add that!

A few other mods i found really useful in the past are:
- Brighten from Latta's small mods -> https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11171.msg111224#msg111224
- Medical Drinks from yMods - Small Vanilla Enhancements! -> https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=10850.0 (sadly out of date)
- Do not Disturb and Smooth Walls from e's small mods -> https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=16098.0
- Mechanical Walls from Mechanical Defense 2 -> https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=7380.0

Maybe you'll find the one or the other also useful.

Greetings,
Sinza

simon-82

Oh by the way, I have a request to all of you playing with the modpack:

I am still looking for some screenshots for the first post of this thread.
If you have a nice colony to show, upload a screenshot and share it :)

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on November 18, 2015, 12:54:52 PM(...) I think the addition of an improvised cannon turret akin to the mortar might be helpful. More accurate fire support than a mortar but direct fire only and must still be manned and provided with shells, it would allow the player to effectively combat armored assaults.
Funny that you mention that. I have a cannon turret in the pack that acts exactly as you described it. Needs to be manned, direct fire, needs cannon shells, high AP. Maybe if I bump up the range of that one to be on par with the Centipede? I am just worried that would be overpowered then.

Quote from: Sinza on November 18, 2015, 12:59:45 PM
Thank you simon!
I'm happy to see that you're reacting this fast to suggested improvements.

Any opinion about my suggested workaround for the windows?
(...)
You're welcome :)
About the windows, I am not sure if I want to keep them the way they are. Draggable like a wall I mean. I was thinking of changing them to single square items that can be added in between walls. Not sure if I understand your "workaround". What are you exactly trying to accomplish with this?
Good suggestions again. I like the medical drinks :)

NemesisN

I think centipede machine gun range needs a patch. I mean its just stupid that sniper rifle can't reach the distance a machine gun can reach not to mention the fact that machine gun fires rain of bullets constantly comparing to sniper rifle that has a delay with each shoot

either that or a better security options against it like cannons that have a long distance range, that are a lot more accurate then mortars and that are specific in damage against heavy units like centipede

this mod pack right now if you get attacked by a centipede with a machine gun you are pretty much done for not to mention if you get attacked by more then 1

TLHeart

Quote from: NemesisN on November 17, 2015, 09:41:11 PM
I still need someone to defend the walls in front for them to not brake in......they will just keep moving forward and be a harder target to kill....mortars are not that accurate

Actually with Combat realism, mortars are accurate. And emp mortars are a great Friend against mechs.

kexici

If you looking for window look at bunker tech , maybe it will be work.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=14763.0

NemesisN

I found a mod called Turret Collection witch works fine with this mod pack

It has cannons to handle overpowered centipede....its still a challenge because of their insane range but you can still strategies with these cannons....I needs 5 direct hits or more to kill one centipede

its a nice mod to go with this mod pack since this mod pack does not have much going on in security compare to other things available

InebriatedFetus

Can't seem to get this to work, followed the install instructions but nothing happens. I don't know what I'm doing wrong..

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: simon-82 on November 18, 2015, 01:11:19 PM
Funny that you mention that. I have a cannon turret in the pack that acts exactly as you described it. Needs to be manned, direct fire, needs cannon shells, high AP. Maybe if I bump up the range of that one to be on par with the Centipede? I am just worried that would be overpowered then.

CR already has a cannon turret for this exact purpose, but it has to be bought. I'm thinking about adding an improvised version with reduced accuracy to the next release, just so players are guaranteed access to some kind of anti-tank weapon.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."