[A16] Izzyssentials (v1.16)

Started by IzzyHRC, November 02, 2015, 09:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IzzyHRC

Quote from: blud on September 13, 2016, 01:06:52 AM
want to try this but i don't see a steam link and when i try searching through there it gives me the A14 versions

Yea I suggest downloading it manually from here atm... I'm having issues updating my mods on steam.
Best guess is that steam doesn't see me as the owner of my own mods? Don't know for sure, figuring it out.

Quote from: Nommy on September 13, 2016, 06:35:42 AM
Thanks for the update, this mod looks cool. There's two things which don't make sense to me about the functional walls though:
Why do the wall switches have less HP than normal walls?
Why do wall switches and wall lights cost more stuff (stone/wood etc) to build than regular walls?

I'd have expected to pay the cost of a wall+switch or wall+light for a wall with a light/switch on it, have it be equally as strong and take longer to construct to balance having combined functionality.

Hope you're feeling better too BTW, good luck!

Thanks for taking a look at the mod!

So I just looked at the numbers and they are a little bit wonky.
Generally I want the cost of the wallswitch and the lights to be a bit less then the sum of its parts.
While both having slightly less HP then normal walls simply due to structural imbalance.
(Wall gets build, holes and slits get drilled in to place the wires. Means more materials get used but overall the wall is less strong)

That said ... my numbers aren't correct :p so thanks for pointing me to that! (Written it down for a change)
The cost of both should be: 5 (wood/stone/whatevs... for the wall) + 10 steel (instead of 15 for the regular switch/lamp).
And both HP should be 325 instead of the 225 now. (with the wall being 350).

I hope my rambling is somewhat clear.
You're the first to point out something so darn obvious come to think of it, thx!

PS:
Doing fine atm, steps at a time right? And thx :)

dragonregure

I doont get the sensor switch work..
How many radius to active and deactive it? can i set the radius?

IzzyHRC

Quote from: dragonregure on September 13, 2016, 10:24:40 AM
I doont get the sensor switch work..
How many radius to active and deactive it? can i set the radius?

You'll have to complete the sensor research before you'll be able to build/use the switch.
(Even if you're in god mode, you'll still have to do the research.)
Afterwards place the sensor down somewhere on a power line.
When you select the sensor you'll see some icons on the bottom of your screen.
Mouse over them for more information.

When you first build the sensor it will be in "manual" mode. (You'll see the large M icon on the bottom.)
Press the large M icon to change to 'automatic' mode. (Now it's a large A icon)
More Icons appear and you'll see the radius in which the sensor will activate.
Press target to select the target: friend or foe.
Press 'increase radius' to ... yea.
Press 'decrease radius' to .... you know.

Hope that helps.

blud

Quote from: IzzyHRC on September 13, 2016, 08:25:26 AM
Quote from: blud on September 13, 2016, 01:06:52 AM
want to try this but i don't see a steam link and when i try searching through there it gives me the A14 versions

Yea I suggest downloading it manually from here atm... I'm having issues updating my mods on steam.
Best guess is that steam doesn't see me as the owner of my own mods? Don't know for sure, figuring it out.

argh,therein lies the problem of knowing how i go about installing mods not using workshop.... :-[

IzzyHRC

Quote from: blud on September 13, 2016, 03:44:45 PM
argh,therein lies the problem of knowing how i go about installing mods not using workshop.... :-[

Ah, but it is in fact really easy!
Just open up your Steam library.
Rightclick on Rimworld in your list of games.
Leftclick on properties in the dropdown menu (right at the botom.)
This will open up a new screen called "Rimworld - Properties".

Leftclick on local files (The middle tab on that new screen)
Leftclick on "Browse Local Files..."
This will open up an explorer window where Steam installed Rimworld.
In that window you'll see the map called "Mods"
Open it!

Should only have one map in it called "Core", thats all the game files.
(off-topic: You can even edit the xml text files in there to alter your blocks/items in game  :) ... make a backup though when you do that...)

This Mods folder is where you manually "install" mods not found on steam.

Now if you download my mod from the link in the topic you'll get an archive file called "Izzyssentials.rar"
Simply put that file in the mods folder.
Right click the file and select "Extract here" from the drop down menu.

Start up the game and activate the mods using the main menu.

AND DONE!

Takes 5 minutes and now you're able to install any Rimworld mod you want!
Including mine of course!
;D

(Or wait till I can get the workshop to cooperate with me to get the mod online...)

blud

That was surprisingly easy.
Thanks for taking your time to explain that,and doubly thanks for making this.
One question:i am assuming this doesn't take into consideration the mod that reduces power reqs for lighting? my normal lamps are at 25w but the wall lights are at 50w.

IzzyHRC

Quote from: blud on September 13, 2016, 08:17:21 PM
That was surprisingly easy.
Thanks for taking your time to explain that,and doubly thanks for making this.
One question:i am assuming this doesn't take into consideration the mod that reduces power reqs for lighting? my normal lamps are at 25w but the wall lights are at 50w.

Not a problem! Glad my wall of text was understandable at least :)
And nope I haven't heard of that mod and it will prob not override my mod...

However! I just showed the mod folder right?
Now that you downloaded my mod by hand you actually have the xml files right in there.
You can change the 50 to 25 by hand if you want as its not hard coded.

Just navigate to: "RimWorld\Mods\Izzyssentials Lights\Defs\ThingDefs"
Open the file "HRC_Buildings_Lights.xml" with some kind of text editor like notepad or microsoft word.
Look for the following text somewhere at the bottom of the text.
"<basePowerConsumption>50</basePowerConsumption>"
(either by scrolling down or using the search function)
Change the 50 to 25.
Save and
Boom! You just modded a mod.

Good luck with your colony!

Nommy

Quote from: IzzyHRC on September 13, 2016, 08:25:26 AM
Generally I want the cost of the wallswitch and the lights to be a bit less then the sum of its parts.
While both having slightly less HP then normal walls simply due to structural imbalance.
(Wall gets build, holes and slits get drilled in to place the wires. Means more materials get used but overall the wall is less strong)
I don't think making it weaker than normal walls is a good idea. That would always slightly irritate me and make me not want to use the wall lights. What if you have a normal wall set up then you add some lights into it and suddenly enemies start targeting a weak spot instead of going around like before? That'd suck don't you think?

I think all wall mods should retain the primary function of the wall which is essentially HP/blocks. So if I have x blocks I can make a wall from here to here and still have the same defensive properties regardless of whether I put lights/switches or whatever in it. And I'd rather not have to be concerned about the extra cost of putting a light on a wall as opposed to next to it when I'm tight for steel or components either. Like power conduits where you can put them next to a wall or on it, it's just a nice cosmetic convenience and it'd be great IMO if lights and switches (and sunlamps?) were the same.

That's what I'm looking for anyway and I hope you set it up that way because I'm a little OCD about it :) I can just tweak it but it would be nice not to have to and I figure others might like the same. Anyway, thanks.

blud

IzzyHRC

Changelog
~Added in new blocks: Ceiling lamp (suggested by: Othobrithol) , Floor lamp~
Behaves like you would suspect.
~Changed Core to accommodate new blocks.~
~Changed values of the following blocks.~
@Standing Lamp (+ceiling lamp +floor lamp)
-Cost lowered from total of 25 to a total of 15
Now needing 10 steel and 5 'x' to build.
@WallLight
-Cost lowered from total of 25 to a total of 15
Now needing 10 steel and 5 'x' to build.
-WorkToMake increased from 150 to 175
@WallSwitch
-Cost changed from total of 35 to a total of 16
Now needing 10 steel,5 'x' and 1 component to build.
-MaxHitPoints increased from 225 to 350
-WorkToMake increased from 150 to 200
@SensorSwitch
-Cost changed from total of 21 to a total of 16
Now needing 10 steel,5 'x' and 1 component to build.
(thx Nommy for making me revisit these blocks.)

IzzyHRC

Quote from: Nommy on September 15, 2016, 12:47:17 AM
I don't think making it weaker than normal walls is a good idea. That would always slightly irritate me and make me not want to use the wall lights. What if you have a normal wall set up then you add some lights into it and suddenly enemies start targeting a weak spot instead of going around like before? That'd suck don't you think?

I think all wall mods should retain the primary function of the wall which is essentially HP/blocks. So if I have x blocks I can make a wall from here to here and still have the same defensive properties regardless of whether I put lights/switches or whatever in it. And I'd rather not have to be concerned about the extra cost of putting a light on a wall as opposed to next to it when I'm tight for steel or components either. Like power conduits where you can put them next to a wall or on it, it's just a nice cosmetic convenience and it'd be great IMO if lights and switches (and sunlamps?) were the same.

That's what I'm looking for anyway and I hope you set it up that way because I'm a little OCD about it :) I can just tweak it but it would be nice not to have to and I figure others might like the same. Anyway, thanks.

Well I decided to go with your route :)
As well as adding some more light sources.
Thx for the input! Let me know if you find anything else that seems out of place.

Canute

Doh,
finaly understood the sensor switches ! :-)
They never worked for me, because i ignored the friend/foe button and thought you can set a target with that.
After i found it out, i tryed it out if i can use this for workbenches to power down them when they arn't used.
But this don't work since when they are powered down they are complety off and pawn's won't move close to them anymore to activate it.
So the only use for Sensor switch with friend settings are lamps/room temps or does anyone else found one?
So why not integrate the sensor switch into lamps straight ?

lc-soz

Izzy, you are awesome! You have made the best switch mod amplifier I have found! The great design and functions that work including the switch inside a wall are awesome! Thank you very much for your incredible work!

lc-soz

Another cool feature would be to detect pawn inside a specific room or area, which would me more efficient to turn on all equipment when a pawn is in a hospital, for example.

kaptain_kavern

Powerswitch By Haplo have this feature : https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=2890.0

Hey Izzy buddy, nice to see you there from time to time  ;)  Hope your doing well