Why is it so hot?

Started by Cardbo, November 02, 2015, 11:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cardbo

Granted, there's a heat wave, but I've got a walkin freezer with no roof, its set to -2 degrees on both refrigeration units, an airlock, and its still 25 Celsius inside the fridge. 

Why?

EDIT: Sorry.  Meant to say there was a roof. 

JO01

I think you have youre coolers faced the wrong way.

Cardbo

Quote from: JO01 on November 03, 2015, 12:39:29 AM
I think you have youre coolers faced the wrong way.

I don't think so.  Its always been blue is inside the room.  Red is outside the room.

JO01

silenced

There's something called "Heat Wave" going  on in your map, and the two coolers are WAY to few for that LARGE room. You should add at least 4 more just for cases like this.

Additional, setting it to -2°C may be fine for saving energy, but it's better to set it to -11°C.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ...

Limdood

ummm, walkin freezer with no roof?

no roof means its outdoors...you can't control outside temperature.

Also, to cool a 13x13 room, which is what i use as the default, you need about 3 coolers...i use 4 because 3 won't cut it in a heatwave.  Your freezer is even bigger.  You put a window air conditioner in a gymnasium in the summertime and turn it on, and i don't think you'll notice much...Bigger space needs more ACs

Lastly, make sure your ACs are all set to the same temperature...its embarrassing to find out you set your first cooler to freeze the freezer, but the other ones are just set on default.

Cardbo

Quote from: Limdood on November 03, 2015, 01:19:29 AM
ummm, walkin freezer with no roof?

no roof means its outdoors...you can't control outside temperature.

Meant to say it had a roof. :-[

Also, to cool a 13x13 room, which is what i use as the default, you need about 3 coolers...i use 4 because 3 won't cut it in a heatwave.  Your freezer is even bigger.  You put a window air conditioner in a gymnasium in the summertime and turn it on, and i don't think you'll notice much...Bigger space needs more ACs

Lastly, make sure your ACs are all set to the same temperature...its embarrassing to find out you set your first cooler to freeze the freezer, but the other ones are just set on default.

Ok, so the room is too big.  Might be better to go with multiple smaller rooms.  Whats an ideal size room with 1 cooler?

REMworlder

Yeah, the room's really big for only two coolers. I wouldn't expect any noticeable change to start until you have 4+.

Limdood

you could try multiple 5x5 rooms w/one cooler each...see if that's enough (it might not be for a heatwave).  Get em all in a row and set each one to hold a certain type of good.  It'll look neat even if it loses a bit of efficiency.

I prefer my 13x13 (not including walls) because it is my ideal modular base design.  13x13 will fit a trade beacon perfectly in the center of the room (it'll need a support - i use 2, one on each side of the beacon).  You can also divide it up into 4 6x6 bedrooms quite easily.  My latest base has 12 of these 13x13 rooms....4 storages, 1 dining room, 1 prison, 1 generator room (solar and geothermal), 4 quad-bedrooms, and 1 last module with 2 bedrooms and a 2-bedroom-wide medbay.  Houses 18 colonists with oodles of storage space.

milon

As I've said before, it's not only the size of the room but also the ambient air temperature that affects how many coolers you need. Heat leaks, remember. And your freezer is not exactly insulated either.

And you probably *do* want to stagger cooler temps for efficiency reasons.

Limdood

Quote from: milon on November 03, 2015, 03:41:42 PM

Interesting.  I'm assuming that having 3 coolers at -10 and one at -16 is kind of what you mean?  so that the 4 coolers work to get it to -10, then 3 of them go into low power mode?

TLHeart

Quote from: Limdood on November 04, 2015, 10:32:43 AM

Interesting.  I'm assuming that having 3 coolers at -10 and one at -16 is kind of what you mean?  so that the 4 coolers work to get it to -10, then 3 of them go into low power mode?

Better yet, first cooler set to -10, then -8, -6, -4.... most of the time 2 or 3 coolers are running at low power, and only kick on when needed.

Limdood

yay! i learned something in a thread where i was trying to GIVE advice!  I LOVE when that happens!

milon

Quote from: TLHeart on November 04, 2015, 10:45:03 AM
Quote from: Limdood on November 04, 2015, 10:32:43 AM

Better yet, first cooler set to -10, then -8, -6, -4.... most of the time 2 or 3 coolers are running at low power, and only kick on when needed.

Yes, but I usually make them colder, like -21'C, -20'C, etc.  I like my frozen food FROZEN.  :D

GOForce3

The coolers are placed correctly, but don't produce nearly enough cooling for that big room in a heat wave.  You'll probably need 4 coolers to get that big room to your target temp.  You can put 2 coolers where that little 1x2 open area is and make that 1x2 area unroofed.  I do that for internal rooms that I want to freeze things where there's no outside walls.  All you need is a tiny little enclosed room and remove the roof and the hot exhaust of the coolers doesn't ramp up the heat (it'll stay the same temp as outdoor ambient).