Ideal room size in Alpha 12?

Started by nuschler22, November 03, 2015, 03:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nuschler22

Just began playing again.  In the past, I've always made room sizes 6x5 because I think that was the ideal room size for giving the spacious reward.

Has anything changed?  What do you use and why?  Where does the spacious thing fit now?

Thanks!

laston

Its integrate into the room Impressiveness score...

I usually make mine 7x7 or so and a few sculptures to increase it.

cultist

Quote from: laston on November 03, 2015, 07:51:37 PM

True, but the "spacious interior" mood buff still exists. Not sure if this is an oversight.

Something like 9x9 should trigger it, if the room is empty. If you put stuff in there, it needs to be bigger.

nuschler22

Quote from: cultist on November 04, 2015, 05:06:48 AM

True, but the "spacious interior" mood buff still exists. Not sure if this is an oversight.

Something like 9x9 should trigger it, if the room is empty. If you put stuff in there, it needs to be bigger.

Isn't 9x9 a little big for a bedroom?

TLHeart

Quote from: nuschler22 on November 04, 2015, 03:49:14 PM
Quote from: cultist on November 04, 2015, 05:06:48 AM

Isn't 9x9 a little big for a bedroom?

yes it is, and since they spend so little time in the bedroom awake, it is a waste of space... get better use making a large dinning room, and a large rec room.

zandadoum

why you guys care so much about bedroom size? the size-mood bonus only lasts while they are actually in it.

you can have a 2x2 or a 20x20 bedroom, won't matter one bit once they wake up and leave.

beauty, impressiveness and luxury on the other hand, those seem to be more important. but not only the bedroom.
i also make dining room, game room and work room look good so they have a bonus while they are in there.

you need to worry about the rooms where they spend most time while awake, screw the bedroom

i always play RR extreme, so mood is important and depending on map, resources to build or space available is little.
my colonists are just fine with 2x3 bedrooms. i only upgrade to 5x6 or 6x7 bedrooms later on to make the base look pretty.
its also important to give them separate bedrooms ASAP, even if small ones: the disturbed sleep mood hurts much more than the cramped space mood, because disturbed sleep lasts a long time while the cramped space fades as soon as they move into the open.

cultist

OP said rooms, not bedrooms. It pays to have a large dining room, i.e. because colonists tend to hang out there long enough to get the buff.

Dave-In-Texas

large bedrooms can be helpful.  colonists spend a lot of time meditating/praying after all.

TLHeart

Quote from: Dave-In-Texas on November 05, 2015, 08:20:33 PM
large bedrooms can be helpful.  colonists spend a lot of time meditating/praying after all.

not in my colonies, as they have so much joy they don't need it.  Also the cramped debuff only lasts as long as they are AWAKE in that space. As soon as they leave, and enter a larger area, it goes away.

cultist

colonists spend a lot of time meditating/praying after all.

Only if they don't have other options. Meditative is the only "free" joy activity (does not require you to build anything), so you will often see colonists gain joy through meditation, praying, walking, stargazing etc. early on. However, once you give them other joy options they won't spend as much time on meditative joy activities.

TLHeart

Quote from: cultist on November 05, 2015, 10:59:46 PM
colonists spend a lot of time meditating/praying after all.

Only if they don't have other options. Meditative is the only "free" joy activity (does not require you to build anything), so you will often see colonists gain joy through meditation, praying, walking, stargazing etc. early on. However, once you give them other joy options they won't spend as much time on meditative joy activities.

Set their jobs up according to their passions, and they get joy from working. Very Free.

cultist

Quote from: TLHeart on November 05, 2015, 11:25:22 PM
Set their jobs up according to their passions, and they get joy from working. Very Free.
They will still build up a a tolerance though, so they will need to take some real joy time off at some point. But yes, work passion is very useful. Especially early on or during hard times.