Multi-Analyzer question

Started by nuschler22, November 03, 2015, 04:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nuschler22

I have it next to the research bench, but it show's it's "inactive."  Does it need to be in a specific spot (left,right, behind?).  I have it behind it, but it's offset by one so that only half of it is touching. 

skullywag

Is anyone researching? from what I know it works like all other compFactorys it can only connect a certian number of buildings and is based on range, the placeworker should show what buildings its going to connect to when you are placing the blueprint.

Add to my todo list - look into feasibility of overriding compfactory to highlight its connected building for claritys sake.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

ison

Is there a "line of sight" (no walls) between the center of the research bench and the center of the multi-analyzer? In A13 this requirement will be relaxed and a line of sight between any of the cells occupied by buildings will make the connection possible.

nuschler22

Quote from: ison on November 04, 2015, 08:57:35 AM
Is there a "line of sight" (no walls) between the center of the research bench and the center of the multi-analyzer? In A13 this requirement will be relaxed and a line of sight between any of the cells occupied by buildings will make the connection possible.

I thought it had to be touching, so this is how it is set up.....

MM
RRRRR
    O

With MM being the Multi-Analyzer, RRRRR being the research bench and O being the researcher.

ison

xMM
RRRRR
    O

If there's a wall at the "x", then it means that there's no line of sight between the centers of the buildings. For now, the only option is to make sure that there's nothing blocking the way between the center of the multi analyzer and the center of the research bench and it should work fine. If that's not the case, then I'd be interested in seeing a screenshot of your colony.

skullywag

Ison could you look into the point j made abov about making the connection more obvious like having the connected building have its cell highlighted ala prisoner room highlighting or something similar. I feel i never truly know which buildings are connected.

Edit - see this for example of how confused people are:

https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/3rlg4n/surviving_infections/
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

ison

I agree that sometimes it's not obvious which facility is connected to which building and it's often hard to see the connections when buildings are close to each other. I think it's an issue worth addressing before the final release, though not of high priority right now, especially that there is currently no easy, obvious way to highlight a building.

nuschler22

Quote from: ison on November 04, 2015, 04:08:14 PM
      xMM
RRRRR
    O

If there's a wall at the "x", then it means that there's no line of sight between the centers of the buildings. For now, the only option is to make sure that there's nothing blocking the way between the center of the multi analyzer and the center of the research bench and it should work fine. If that's not the case, then I'd be interested in seeing a screenshot of your colony.

This is probably it, because there is a wall there.  Thanks!