[A12d] Canned Food 1.2 (update of JuliaEllie's mod)

Started by milon, November 06, 2015, 04:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milon

Canned Food 1.2

OUTDATED:
I'm going to discontinue updating this mod.  If you want to take over it, feel free.  Just make sure to give credit to JuliaEllie for her original work.  I don't care if I'm credited or not.

Description:
This mod adds a variety of canned food to the game.  Canned food options include veggies, meat, and soylent green.  ;)  Canned food is a meal that doesn't need to be frozen and won't spoil.  It takes 10 raw food and 1 steel to create 1 canned food, which can then be eaten as a meal or keep as a nonperishable ingredient.  To create Canned Food, just have some raw food and steel on hand, and set the bill at your local neighborhood Cook Stove.

Originally created by JuliaEllie (https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=7943.0), now updated to A12 by me.  I attempted to rebalance it a bit, but may need more work.  Let's take a look:

Changelog:
1.0   First release
1.1   Allows canned food to be used as an ingredient
1.2   Adds variety (veggies, meat, soylent green)

To Do:
- Rebalance stats
- Tweak graphics a bit (make cans smaller, touch up the pixely edges)
- Note to self: stop using PNG with transparency for the screenshots!
- Add jarring/preserving (jam from berries, etc)

License:
You may include this in other works, learn by looking at the code, etc.  Contact JuliaEllie for permission for anything else since this is her original work.

JuliaEllie

This is awesome :) I would recommend putting it in your dropbox so everyone can download it without logging in and add a screenshot to the thread :D. Thanks for maintaining my work <3

LustrousWolf

JuliaEllie

milon

Thanks for the dropbox tip.  I forgot you have to be logged in to access attachments.  Updated OP with pretty pictures and helpful words.  ;D

LustrousWolf

Thank you for clearly that up! The pictures are on now so it makes sense :P So it takes 10 food and 1 steel to make 1 can? And that one can is eaten as one meal?

milon

Yes, that's correct. Clearly I'm failing at this whole Tell-Us-What-You-Made thing, sorry about that. Updated OP again. Keep the questions coming! :)

LustrousWolf

Sorry about that xD Just wanted to clarify :P Thank you :)

milon

No worries, I actually really appreciate the feedback.  Speaking of which, please report any bugs, weirdness, imbalances, etc.  Thanks!  :)

milon

Update: Canned Food is now both raw ingredient (veggie only for now) and meal.  The raw ingredient gives a minor negative thought, and cooked into a meal gives a minor positive thought.

milon

Update 1.2
Canned food is now split into Veggies, Meat, and Soylent Green!  ;D

Austupaio

Considered involving the smithing/machining table in this somehow? Requiring that extra step, that also happens to be later in the tech tree, would help balance out the fairly cheap and easy way to make non-perishable food, which I think is fairly powerful. Canning does take some work after all, canneries are mildly complicated affairs IRL.

I like the idea though, it only makes sense you'd do something with the food other than cook it and throw it back on the floor. ;D

milon

That's a good idea.  I really like integrated existing game features, rather than creating a new production table for everything.  I'll give it some thought.

Kairon156

I understand this mod is for canned goods but I was wondering if you could add Jars to it. I would like to see Jam which could be used to add joy as well as normal hunger from strawberries. other Jared goods could be pickled eggs and pickled wieners/meat.

milon

Thanks for the suggestion, Kairon!  I'll add it to the to-do list.

Welcome to the forum!