So, someone complained that my last ice base wasn't cold enough.

Started by Duban, November 08, 2015, 08:33:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duban

http://i.imgur.com/H1FNTLi.jpg
-50C summers

http://i.imgur.com/8d9HFfN.jpg
-100C winters.

Better?

Edit: Inserting an image was cropping the temperature out of my picture.

b0rsuk

Duban

Quote from: b0rsuk on November 08, 2015, 08:48:17 AM
How do you deal with sappers ?

Generally speaking, my wealth is growing slow enough that the AI doesn't even bother with sappers. The one time they sent sappers it was from the south and I have a few extra turrets sitting around for that. The cold also helps as I just need to keep invaders busy rather than actually fight them off.

b0rsuk

Duban

Quote from: b0rsuk on November 08, 2015, 08:57:33 AM
So, Russian Roulette.

A bit. It's a calculated risk, though. I've never seen invaders come from the top right, and from most other directions I can hold them off as long as I need to. Plus, my base has multiple layers with storage areas protected by a couple turrets that surround the critical growing areas so I can fight there if needed.

Limdood

Duban

Quote from: Limdood on November 08, 2015, 10:44:29 AM
map seed and location?

I believe the seed was "juqq" with the 300x400 planet size, but is there any way to double check this? Anyways, check the elevation map. There should be a mountain in the top left corner of the map and one of the highest points should have an elevation just north of 6 kilometers. 6009 meters elevation if I remember correctly. The map was 1 step above the default (the larger of the two medium map sizes).

Edit: Please tell me if there's a better way to do this. I've only had the game two weeks.

Duban

Quote from: Duban on November 08, 2015, 11:00:36 AM
Quote from: Limdood on November 08, 2015, 10:44:29 AM
map seed and location?

I believe the seed was "juqq" with the 300x400 planet size, but is there any way to double check this? Anyways, check the elevation map. There should be a mountain in the top left corner of the map and one of the highest points should have an elevation just north of 6 kilometers. 6009 meters elevation if I remember correctly. The map was 1 step above the default (the larger of the two medium map sizes).

Edit: Please tell me if there's a better way to do this. I've only had the game two weeks.

Found it it's juqq (400x300) coordinates 5.86E by 77.87N with 275x275 map size.

milon

Easy way to find in the future: start a new colony on the same world. The seed is written at the top-right corner of the map. The colony itself is findable on the map when you're deciding where to land. You can also open the save file in a text editor - it's recorded near the top.

postm00v

I always find ice sheet colonies highly impressive. I've started maybe a dozen colonies on ice sheets, but I always fail to get enough food by the time my survival meals run out.

Is this with mods btw?

Duban

Quote from: postm00v on November 09, 2015, 04:09:13 PM
I always find ice sheet colonies highly impressive. I've started maybe a dozen colonies on ice sheets, but I always fail to get enough food by the time my survival meals run out.

Is this with mods btw?

Nope, 100% stock. You should have your first stock of food growing by night 3, night 2 if it's borderline ice sheet. Also, your first crop should be strawberries since they have the fastest turnaround time. Later move to potatoes as they have the best growth rate on gravel. Also, food won't decay outdoors, but storms will damage them. So make sure to have a roof over your food storage.

Edit: For the record you don't need hydroponics to grow indoors. Only warmth and light. Hydroponics are only needed to grow on rocks, ice sheets, and other places that plants can't be planted on.

Damien Hart

Old colonies aren't actually shown on the map when you start a new game any more, probably because Tynan separated the world file from the save file; you can still find your own colony on the world tab while you're playing though.

TLHeart

Quote from: Duban on November 09, 2015, 10:37:27 PM
Quote from: postm00v on November 09, 2015, 04:09:13 PM

Is this with mods btw?

Nope, 100% stock. You should have your first stock of food growing by night 3, night 2 if it's borderline ice sheet. Also, your first crop should be strawberries since they have the fastest turnaround time. Later move to potatoes as they have the best growth rate on gravel. Also, food won't decay outdoors, but storms will damage them. So make sure to have a roof over your food storage.

Edit: For the record you don't need hydroponics to grow indoors. Only warmth and light. Hydroponics are only needed to grow on rocks, ice sheets, and other places that plants can't be planted on.

Strawberries do not have the fastest grow time, and they also have the lowest yield.

see this thread about what foods give the best yield. https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=15554.0
Food does decay outside, every day.

Duban

Quote from: TLHeart on November 10, 2015, 01:27:45 AM

Strawberries do not have the fastest grow time, and they also have the lowest yield.

see this thread about what foods give the best yield. https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=15554.0
Food does decay outside, every day.

Except you completely missed the fact that rice has a growth rate of 70% on gravel while Strawberries have a growth rate of 82%. All arable land on ice sheet maps is gravel which gives strawberries the faster turnaround time. Then, the goal of your first harvest isn't to get a lot of food. The goal of your first round of crops is to get the first round of crops as quickly as possible after touchdown. This makes strawberries  the clear winner for a brand new ice sheet colony.

Strawberies: 5.3/.82 = 6.46 days
Rice: 4.89/.7 = 7.98 days

Also, food doesn't decay in the "x days until rotted" sense when left outside, but it is damaged and will eventually be destroyed.

Pickle

With the seed "andy" you can find some map where the temperature goes under -115C sometimes.

I really like ice sheet map, but it's less fun when it's too cold because raiders dies before reaching your base, and you can't even go and take the loot xD

Here is my not-so-cold ice sheet map, with some mods like harsher map condition and redistheat.

http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=505988Capturedu20151110180858.png

- There wasn't enough gravel to do a proper farm on my map
- I captured some manhunting muffalos and wargs - thanks Randy - and now I have some vegetable problems and a puppies invasion xD
- I love cleaning and hauling robots