So, someone complained that my last ice base wasn't cold enough.

Started by Duban, November 08, 2015, 08:33:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLHeart

Quote from: Duban on November 10, 2015, 08:06:45 AM
Quote from: TLHeart on November 10, 2015, 01:27:45 AM

Strawberries do not have the fastest grow time, and they also have the lowest yield.

see this thread about what foods give the best yield. https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=15554.0
Food does decay outside, every day.

Except you completely missed the fact that rice has a growth rate of 70% on gravel while Strawberries have a growth rate of 82%. All arable land on ice sheet maps is gravel which gives strawberries the faster turnaround time. Then, the goal of your first harvest isn't to get a lot of food. The goal of your first round of crops is to get the first round of crops as quickly as possible after touchdown. This makes strawberries  the clear winner for a brand new ice sheet colony.

Strawberies: 5.3/.82 = 6.46 days
Rice: 4.89/.7 = 7.98 days

Also, food doesn't decay in the "x days until rotted" sense when left outside, but it is damaged and will eventually be destroyed.

Did not miss anything, as I stated, those comparisons are for NORMAL soil. 

You want to look at food decay, strawberries have the fastest decay rate also only 14 days.

Duban

Quote from: TLHeart on November 10, 2015, 02:54:52 PM

Did not miss anything, as I stated, those comparisons are for NORMAL soil. 

You "corrected" me with idealized numbers that were blatantly wrong given that my advice was specific to ice sheet maps. I even said that we were growing on gravel in the post you first replied to. Strawberries have the fastest turnaround time in these circumstances which is important when you're trying not to starve your first week on an ice sheet. The low yeilds is not relevant. You just need food, ANY FOOD, as fast as you can once your initial survival packets run out. After that I recommended switching to potatoes because they do best on gravel. Again, advice specific to ice sheet maps that you shit on with out of context information.

Quote from: TLHeart on November 10, 2015, 02:54:52 PMYou want to look at food decay, strawberries have the fastest decay rate also only 14 days.

Which is irrelevant when the outside temperature never breaks -35C. Again, I was giving advice specific to surviving on an ice sheet map to someone who specifically said they were having trouble surviving the first month on an ice sheet. My point is that food doesn't decay outside on an ice sheet because it is ALWAYS FROZEN, but strawberries left outside will still get damaged if they aren't covered by a roof (even though their decay timer says never).

Again, you crashed into this thread and corrected me with a complete disregard for context. You fucked up. Mistakes happen, but what I don't understand is why you can't man up to your mistakes and admit you didn't read this thread properly before throwing around in-corrections.

Limdood

just be careful using the word "decay"

In the context of this game, "decay" can mean EITHER "spoils" or "environmentally degrades to 0 hp"

To clarify, food will never SPOIL in ice sheets, but will be damaged by environment until 0 hp, so a simple wall will keep it good forever (one advantage to ice sheets...never have to worry about freezers!).  This is an advantage for veggies, in that they don't have to be hauled immediately (they can survive a couple weeks outside) and a BIG advantage for corpses, which don't spoil (due to temp) and don't deteriorate HP (do to game design).

To add to the discussion overall - to build a successful ice base, its probably quite important to learn what items take hp damage outdoors and which don't.  (weapons, apparel, leathers, cloths, veggies, meats, wood all degrade.  body parts, metals, stones, and (most?) objects don't)  With resource scarcity, this makes it easier to decide which items need to be stockpiled indoors, and which ones can be left outside.

Duban

Quote from: Limdood on November 10, 2015, 08:00:49 PM
just be careful using the word "decay"

In the context of this game, "decay" can mean EITHER "spoils" or "environmentally degrades to 0 hp"

To clarify, food will never SPOIL in ice sheets, but will be damaged by environment until 0 hp, so a simple wall will keep it good forever (one advantage to ice sheets...never have to worry about freezers!). 

Fair enough on making the distinction going forward, but he said strawberries have a shelf life of 14 days so it seems unlikely that was the source of any confusion.