(Obsolete) TUTORIAL - Modding Guide

Started by AcDie, January 21, 2014, 05:15:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rokiyo

Is it possible to modify or remove existing things? (As opposed to adding only)

E.g. changing what resources are required to build metal walls

Sunspots

Quote from: Rokiyo on February 27, 2014, 01:50:03 AM

Yes, all you need to do is copy over the original object into your mod and it will overwrite it. See how the example RoyalBed mod overwrites the ordinary bed in order to change the price.

Tynan

You just need to use the same defName as something in the base game and it'll overwrite.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Architect

Quote from: Sunspots on February 27, 2014, 02:37:59 AM
Quote from: Rokiyo on February 27, 2014, 01:50:03 AM

Yes, all you need to do is copy over the original object into your mod and it will overwrite it. See how the example RoyalBed mod overwrites the ordinary bed in order to change the price.

Ohhhhhh is that what the second bit did, I just threw it out as example code XD I also accidentally deleted the royal bed folder altogether when testing other stuff, so it doesn't really matter anymore... Ah well XD
Check out BetterPower+ and all its derivatives by clicking the picture below.

It adds many new methods of power generation and uses for it, as well as other things such as incidents.

Alastir07

Where is the experience amount located?

Cooking meals currently doesn't seem to give any cooking experience, and butchering barely gives any, so I wanted to make a quick change so that it does, but I can't find where the experience given by a task is.

oniryuuko

The guide needs to be changed, for textures. DXT1 seems to no longer be what the texture files rely on. Unity Assets Explorer refuses to import any DXT1 file types because they're much smaller than what's currently in the assets file. DXT5 is the proper file size and imports just fine into UAE, and also loads into the game without any issue. DXT3 is the right file size, but on conversion back to .tex, has visual artifacts.

Tynan

Quote from: oniryuuko on March 08, 2014, 11:52:49 PM
The guide needs to be changed, for textures. DXT1 seems to no longer be what the texture files rely on. Unity Assets Explorer refuses to import any DXT1 file types because they're much smaller than what's currently in the assets file. DXT5 is the proper file size and imports just fine into UAE, and also loads into the game without any issue. DXT3 is the right file size, but on conversion back to .tex, has visual artifacts.

You shouldn't need to use DXT at all, the game supports loading from PNG now.

oniryuuko

Quote from: Tynan on March 09, 2014, 12:03:01 AM
Quote from: oniryuuko on March 08, 2014, 11:52:49 PM

You shouldn't need to use DXT at all, the game supports loading from PNG now.

The guide refers to editing the assets file, which the only editor the guide offers will only allow same file size replacement, so in order to follow the guide exactly as it's listed in order to change textures, it is, in fact, necessary to use DXT5 (Where the guide says to use DXT1). So long as it remains unchanged and stickied, people will attempt to follow it and hit a brick wall when Unity Assets Explorer won't import files.

Tynan

I suspect this guide is obsolete, it dates from back when you had to hack in assets to get them in the game.

Renham

I have a problem with my texture pack, I changed resource icons and many things.. well eveything actually, but i still find some of the old textures, for instance in some generations I find grass, cactus, plants, and a few others.
I removed every other texture from the core pack, but still shows the old ones. what can i do?
if you can imagine it I can build it with pixels.
if I cant well then imagine something else.

Tynan

This method of adding textures is obsolete. To add textures now, add PNGs to the /Textures folder and reference them by name. Look at some mods for examples.

Renham

yes i did it, but it still shows me the old textures too.
if you can imagine it I can build it with pixels.
if I cant well then imagine something else.

Tynan

I recommend you start a new thread, then, and re-explain the issue. I can't really figure out what you're asking :(

--LukeNation--

hi, this post is  great, i want ask how i can override a table of the game, or delete it and put my own table, (i know i can put my table, but i want one of the worktable (butchers table) that unlock with my own research, thanks

The World is on fire when I arrive,
Rimworld Extreme HardCore Modder,