Big Red Buttons

Started by Livingston I Presume, November 10, 2015, 05:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Livingston I Presume

So IED's are great, but sometimes it can be annoying when animals run over them and sometimes a raider lead element might set off them off before you want them to explode.  Or maybe you need to deny the enemy and bring down a decent half of you colony along with everything in it?  So wouldn't be nice if you could remote detonate a much more expensive and bigger explosive?  Especially if it destroyed rock, so you could do some old fashioned TNT mining?  That might be beside the point, but like the "Launch Ship" button it'd be neat if they were a few more button that the player could click that does stuff, (Primitive sounding I know) because pressing the big red button is strangely satisfying.

NuclearStudent

It should be possible to make something like this simply by putting in a one tile range single use bomb. You could probably jig this up in an afternoon by cannibalizing the Smart Mine mod.

Limdood

I think a minimum of direct player involvement is the cornerstone of this game.  The only reason that the ship launch is a player pressed button is because presumably there are no more clickable colonists by that point (or there COULD be no more clickable colonists), so the player HAS to be the one to activate it.

The more buttons i click, or actions -I- can take to directly affect the game, the less like rimworld it would feel.  I LOVE the way switches are done, for example, with the colonists having to run over to hit them, instead of me as a player just smacking a button.

Gigantic manually-detonatable bombs?  sure.  But make them have to be colonist activated (its almost no different, just takes a little planning ahead to have a drafted colonist standing right next to it).

FyrnSkulblaka

These were actually a thing a loooooooooooong time ago. Remote explosives were taken out ages ago, because Tynan (From what I understand) felt they were to OP and messed with the Rimworld feel. It was just too easy to lay tonnes of explosives and not have to worry about doing any real fighting.

MeowRailroad

Have colonists lay a fuse wire, and have them place an explosive, like a bag of powder explosive or a box of TNT, and then have a colonist-activated detonator at the end. Some of the power-conduit code could probably be re-purposed for this. Alternatively you could make a remote that a colonist can carry, but a more advanced detonator would have to be used at the end of the wire.

Maybe certain types of explosives would do different things? (Some would be better for demolition, some for mining, some for war purposes)

Or you could just build some batteries and hope it is raining when you want to set off the explosives.  :) (But seriously, folks! How do batteries made of steel explode so easily?)
Quote from: Tynan on December 02, 2016, 05:24:06 PM
This is like being in a remote fishing town in Libera and asking, "Why can't I just pay one of the fishermen $10 to take me back to Los Angeles?"