[A14] Colony Manager

Started by Fluffy (l2032), November 18, 2015, 06:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGentlmen

Fluffy, how ya make ze animated gifs?

Grogfeld

This is a great tool. I'm so happy that You made it. Even with big modpacks and all those recipes its not complicated. Search option is fantastic and threshold feature is so powerful tool. I like it, i love it and i am sincerely grateful that You made it. Bravo.

I'm playing with ModVarietyPack and it works fine but manager desk is in medical tab so it was confusing when I've created orders and nothing was send to workstations. I didn't know that there was this desk. Silly me. In Dwarf Fortress Manager need to own room with desk to work. It's great that You implement something similar and how it works, just WOW! My researcher from time to time goes to desk and cheeks what need to be adjust. GREAT, now there is another job for him that doesn't slow down research.

Fluffy (l2032)

Quote from: Grogfeld on November 23, 2015, 02:30:51 AM
This is a great tool. I'm so happy that You made it. Even with big modpacks and all those recipes its not complicated. Search option is fantastic and threshold feature is so powerful tool. I like it, i love it and i am sincerely grateful that You made it. Bravo.

I'm playing with ModVarietyPack and it works fine but manager desk is in medical tab so it was confusing when I've created orders and nothing was send to workstations. I didn't know that there was this desk. Silly me. In Dwarf Fortress Manager need to own room with desk to work. It's great that You implement something similar and how it works, just WOW! My researcher from time to time goes to desk and cheeks what need to be adjust. GREAT, now there is another job for him that doesn't slow down research.

Glad you like it! I play with the MVP myself, it's a pretty well balanced pack, and the longer crafting chains are pretty easy to manage with this, so that's a nice bonus :). I did have to look for the table too, not really sure why it shows up in the medical tab - I've set it to show in the production tab of the architect, but I suppose the MVP renames the tabs or something. Anyhow, if/when simon adds this to the pack he'll fix that, in the mean time it's a pretty minor inconvenience.

As for gif screen captures;
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gif+screen+capture

darkitten

this works perfectly and is kinda every-mod.. no errors.. but i edited the redist heat addition on the end to have only duct systems in it... as they are included in mvp but give missing texture errors if i dont overwrite.. and i removed fertile ground from lt_soiling and made the soil cost mulch for balance

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<ModsConfigData>
  <buildNumber>914</buildNumber>
  <activeMods>
    <li>ProjectDog-ProjectDog1.5</li>
    <li>Biodiversity</li>
    <li>LT_Soiling</li>
    <li>Core</li>
    <li>Community Core Library</li>
    <li>Community Core Library - Vanilla Tweaks</li>
    <li>M&amp;Co. Common</li>
    <li>M&amp;Co. AlertSpeaker</li>
    <li>M&amp;Co. ForceField</li>
    <li>M&amp;Co. MiningHelmet</li>
    <li>EdBModOrder</li>
    <li>CombatRealism</li>
    <li>VeinMiner</li>
    <li>ModVarietyPack</li>
    <li>Rimsenal_CR</li>
    <li>Rimsenal_Federation</li>
    <li>BackstoriesCore</li>
    <li>EdBInterface</li>
    <li>EdBPrepareCarefully</li>
    <li>Pawn State Icons</li>
    <li>RW_EnhancedTabs</li>
    <li>RW_MedicalInfo</li>
    <li>RW_ResearchInfo</li>
    <li>Hospitality</li>
    <li>RT Storage</li>
    <li>LT_Infusion</li>
    <li>AutoEquip</li>
    <li>AutoEquipInfusion</li>
    <li>MAI</li>
    <li>RWAutoSell</li>
    <li>PowerArmourMKII-PowerArmourMKII1.1</li>
    <li>Additional Joy Objects V2.71</li>
    <li>Vegetable Garden v3.3</li>
    <li>Soda Brewing V1.41</li>
    <li>Soda Garden V1.20</li>
    <li>AdditionalJoySodas</li>
    <li>CampfireParty</li>
    <li>Ancient Amulets V1.01</li>
    <li>Silage 1.1</li>
    <li>CaveworldFlora</li>
    <li>CapsuleReactor</li>
    <li>RW_Cats-12d.9c</li>
    <li>Skynet_SK</li>
    <li>Assassin Dagger v1.01</li>
    <li>ZenGarden v1.00</li>
    <li>Suicide Bomb</li>
    <li>Mending_SK</li>
    <li>MedievalShields-MedievalShields1.4</li>
    <li>PersonalShieldMKII-PersonalShieldMKII1.2</li>
    <li>RimBeast</li>
    <li>Dont Mourn The Dead</li>
    <li>CombatRealism + Rimfire 1.8</li>
    <li>Turret Collection</li>
    <li>Turret Collection Overkill</li>
    <li>RW_A2B-0.12.1</li>
    <li>RW_A2B_selectors-0.12.1</li>
    <li>RW_A2B_Teleporter-0.12.1</li>
    <li>CombatRealism Defence</li>
    <li>LED Lights 1.3</li>
    <li>Dragons</li>
    <li>GourmetGarden</li>
    <li>ESM - SmoothWall - CR</li>
    <li>RW_Quick-Start-A12_v1</li>
    <li>LT_ExpHistory</li>
    <li>Food Preservation 1.0</li>
    <li>Ish_MedievalArmor</li>
    <li>Ish_MedievalDefenses</li>
    <li>Ish_MedievalNobleHouse</li>
    <li>Ish_MedievalWeapons</li>
    <li>Harsher Map Conditions</li>
    <li>Pirates!</li>
    <li>Norbals</li>
    <li>Sleep</li>
    <li>MechanoidTerraformer</li>
    <li>ESM - DoNotDisturb</li>
    <li>PowerCell-PowerCell1.2</li>
    <li>Cobblestone Floor v1.00</li>
    <li>Mad Skills</li>
    <li>FlameWeapons-FlameWeapons1.4</li>
    <li>LaserWeapons-LaserWeapons1.4</li>
    <li>GaussWeapons-GaussWeapons1.5</li>
    <li>PlasmaWeapons-PlasmaWeapons1.4</li>
    <li>kNumbers-0.2.1-A12d</li>
    <li>StorageSearch-1.0</li>
    <li>PowerSwitch</li>
    <li>EnhancedFireFight</li>
    <li>MoreMechanoids</li>
    <li>LT_NoCleaningPlease</li>
    <li>LT_Gardening</li>
    <li>LT_Brighten</li>
    <li>RW_Manager-A12d.2a</li>
    <li>LT_RedistHeat</li>
  </activeMods>
</ModsConfigData>

i dont know how to use code block? please how do i make [](/spoiler) work?

Fluffy (l2032)

mind putting the list in a code block? Good to hear it works with all of them (even if there's not really anything that should go wrong :P )

willow512

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on November 18, 2015, 06:20:55 PM
   Requires a new save.
Bamm, old save gone!
I liked version 1 it'll be worth it :)

You say the mod manages the priorities on work tables.....
Suppose I have two different type tables, that both use crafting skill. But I only have one crafter. The manager will give both tables jobs. But does the crafter properly do the table with high priority items first? Or is priority managed per table?

That would be cool, but I can't think of a way you could accomplish this.

I had the problem on a game that I had bills on both glass works and stone cutting tables. My crafter kept moving towards the stone cutting table to do stone cutting work while glass work was much more important to the colony. I had to manually suspend stone cutting. Which, as is traditional in these cases, I promptly forgot to turn back on..

Fluffy (l2032)

@Willows, glad to hear you like it :)

As for the priorities, I'm afraid it's per table. I have figured out how to change 'global' priorities (as in the worktypes (the columns in the work tab) and workgivers (each worktable has a workgiver, as does each 'action', e.g. milking, hunting, feeding patients, etc. etc.), the Enhanced Tabs mod lets you manually change these, so you can indeed set glassworks to be higher priority than stonecutting.

However, I don't think I can do this automatically based on the global priorities list. For one, it's hard to figure out which workgivers handle which tables. A more direct problem is that we still wouldn't be able to do bill A on table I, then B on table II then C on table I again - tables (workgivers) would be prioritized as a block, as they are now. I'm a bit loathe to mess with these priorities without direct user input telling the mod to do so. Particularly because this would also involve changing the priorities of worktypes, which is a pretty big thing and can have a massive impact on your game.

TLDR;
It's complicated, and very prone to bugs/unintended effects if not done with direct user input - I'ld rather not touch it.

Dodging Rain

I'm fairly sure that I am doing something wrong but I am getting a strange problem with the production tab.  I have the manager have two sculpture tables produce 25 sculpture each to hit the threshold up to 50 sculpture total which is fine.  However, I ed up with repetitive orders for the same thing over time.

Fluffy (l2032)

that definitely should not be happening. Does it only happen with sculptures?

Could you send me your save game?

willow512

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on November 23, 2015, 02:06:37 PMIt's complicated, and very prone to bugs/unintended effects if not done with direct user input - I'ld rather not touch it.
I understand, I couldn't think up a solution myself. Unless the game gives you some way to prioritize individual tasks for workers as opposed to task types. Which I don't believe it does. The automatic alternatives I can think of are overly complicated unintuitive, or just stupid ;)

On another note: I've been playing with it all night last night. And it really works nicely. So kudo's!!! However anally retentive me wanted to set up some tasks to work differently than the default. And I think I found a bug there...

Take a butcher animal job. You can set the trigger to do the job until you have N meat products. However, of course I wanted the job to be done while animal corpses were available. I could not get that to work. I tried setting the trigger to do while animal corpses>0.  The status symbol suggested that the task was completed, even though there were animal carcasses in my fridge. It didn't schedule the job either (Which at least is consistent). And I couldn't get it to work by restoring the original trigger. I eventually deleted the task and remade it. Which fixed it.

That trigger logic is very cool by the way! :) Apart from the fact that it doesn't work right now I can think up loads of cool things to do with it! An and feature could work. (Make glass while sand>400 and glass<200)

Another thing, the selection dialog for setting up the trigger ingredients has no scroll bar, it's a tree, and a lot of the contents of the tree ends up hidden outside the underside of the dialog.

While making blocks. I thought : Wouldn't it be nice if the manager could check which blocks are nearby and schedule blocks of that type.

And a tiny one, I notice the default threshold is set at 600, while most items you can produce need nowhere near as much. I think a threshold of 200 would be a more useful default, particularly in starting colonies.

Did you consider a workbench that includes an AI core so it no longer requires a manager to do the manager task?

Just a bunch of ideas that came up whilst playing with your mod. Pick or ignore what you like. ;)

Fluffy (l2032)

Quote from: willow512 on November 24, 2015, 03:53:24 AM
On another note: I've been playing with it all night last night. And it really works nicely. So kudo's!!! However anally retentive me wanted to set up some tasks to work differently than the default. And I think I found a bug there...
Oh noes!

Take a butcher animal job. You can set the trigger to do the job until you have N meat products. However, of course I wanted the job to be done while animal corpses were available. I could not get that to work. I tried setting the trigger to do while animal corpses>0.  The status symbol suggested that the task was completed, even though there were animal carcasses in my fridge. It didn't schedule the job either (Which at least is consistent). And I couldn't get it to work by restoring the original trigger. I eventually deleted the task and remade it. Which fixed it.
Bugger. Yeah, that was actually on an old to do list which completely slipped me by; greater than thresholds don't really work at all at the moment, I'll get on that tonight.

That trigger logic is very cool by the way! :) Apart from the fact that it doesn't work right now I can think up loads of cool things to do with it! An and feature could work. (Make glass while sand>400 and glass<200)
Having multiple triggers is actually a cool idea, and should be possible with some minor modifications to the logic, and some less minor modifications to the UI. I'll keep that on a suggestions list for now ;).

Another thing, the selection dialog for setting up the trigger ingredients has no scroll bar, it's a tree, and a lot of the contents of the tree ends up hidden outside the underside of the dialog.
Noted, again, has been on my to-do list (it's even visible in the screengrabs in the frontpage) for a while, but slipped my mind.

While making blocks. I thought : Wouldn't it be nice if the manager could check which blocks are nearby and schedule blocks of that type.
I could add an area filter to the Trigger, only problem is that the number of uses for areas is getting a bit out of hand. Would have to add more areas soon... Alternatively, and perhaps a better idea that's closer to your suggestion, is to provide a toggle to only count resources that are within range of the already present ingredient radius.

And a tiny one, I notice the default threshold is set at 600, while most items you can produce need nowhere near as much. I think a threshold of 200 would be a more useful default, particularly in starting colonies.
Yeah, I noticed that too. I've tried to set defaults sensibly (can't recall how exactly right now) but they're a bit high. For 'single' items such as apparel and weapons they're at 20, which is also too high.

Did you consider a workbench that includes an AI core so it no longer requires a manager to do the manager task?
I did consider an automated workbench, hadn't considered it using an AI core yet, but that's a great idea!

Just a bunch of ideas that came up whilst playing with your mod. Pick or ignore what you like. ;)
Thanks for the very helpful feedback, and I hope you keep enjoying playing with the mod :)

Iwillbenicetou

Mod Help! The basics on how to download mods!

willow512

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on November 24, 2015, 05:26:28 AM
Thanks for the very helpful feedback, and I hope you keep enjoying playing with the mod :)
;D ;D ;D
I probably will.. If I spot anything else I'll be sure to suggest it. Thank you for the great interaction.

Fluffy (l2032)

Greater than filters and scrollbars are fixed. Defaults are now set a factor of four lower - let me know how that works out.

This update is not on the front page yet, there's some other things I'm working on I want to release at the same time. You can get the update from the github if you want - just go to the mod's front page and download from there (so not the releases section). NOTE: PROBABLY REQUIRES A NEW GAME - BACKUP ACCORDINGLY.

Counts on jobs with greater than triggers are only calculated correctly if;
there's only one thingdef in the trigger thingfilter (i.e. only rice, not the whole vegetarian category. Also doesn't work with whole meat category).
the recipe selected actually uses the thingdef in the thingfilter.

If both are true, the count is correctly set. If not, it assumes each bill will 'destroy' 1, and assign jobs accordingly. When the job is updated, any outstanding jobs that were overassigned will be deleted - so assuming you have a manager who semi-regularly checks the jobs, it should be fine. Otherwise, assign single defs only for now.)

simon-82

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on November 18, 2015, 06:20:55 PM
Should work perfectly fine with other mods that add bills, assuming they do nothing too fancy/weird. (I've tested, and the screengrabs were taken, with the Mod Variety Pack which adds a good number of recipes.)
I knew I saw those recipes before!  :P

Nice mod!