[A14] Colony Manager

Started by Fluffy (l2032), November 18, 2015, 06:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fluffy (l2032)

Allright, that seems fair enough. I already have a 'waiting time' variable on all the jobs, I'll just need to expose it to be changed.

Sorry if my earlier response was a bit snappy, I do appreciate the feedback!

sidfu

dont worry about it if i got angry at everytime someone was snappy on internet i would never have time to do anything.

Fluffy (l2032)

sure, but I try to hold myself to a higher standard. Making the internet more civil one post at a time :P

Mrshilka

Quote from: sidfu on March 23, 2016, 03:42:11 PM
ok here some things.
1. harvest trees have it decide to cut trees based on logs in the logging area u set not the stock pile. it will keep setting trees right now to cut as it only looks at stockpile.
2. make stone blocks doesnt look at differnt stone block types but looks for just stone blocks so any other stone typess are ignored and it will keep adding no matter what other stone block types u have.
3. manageing the desk is consered lower than all other jobs. a example i wanted my crafter to randomly check the desk as they crafting to update bills but it wont work like that. tthey will craft till everything is finish before they check the desk.
4. add a slider to not update a job if its been updated before that time. a sllider to say only update the job if it hasnt been checked in a certain time would be good. way it is right now if u have alot of jobs some never get updated as it dont get past the first ones. this way they can go thru the tasks faster and dont spend all day on a few jobs and more can be did.(currently on hardcore mod i cant have more than 15 jobs on it as it takes all day for it to update as it keeps redoing the first ones)
5.if u have it set to just do the desk sometimes(not always) they ignore their joy/anything time schedule slots. this is probaly caused by number 4 above as everytime they man the desk they checkl every job fully again so they missing their schedule checks.

other than those things everything works fine. love the mod takes a bit of the micro manage out.
im useing the hardcore sk mod pack if that helps any with those things.

Remember friend you can modify the priority order jobs in the Sk pack, you can place managing in front of crafting if you so desire!.

Fluffy (l2032)

Quote from: Mrshilka on March 25, 2016, 04:54:08 AM
<snip>

Remember friend you can modify the priority order jobs in the Sk pack, you can place managing in front of crafting if you so desire!.
That is actually my Enhanced Tabs that allows you to do that, just saying ;)

forumaccount

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on March 25, 2016, 05:06:11 AM
<snip>

And it is so handy. I don't care which colonist gets it done, I just need it done!
Steam Workshop destroys modding communities. Don't let your town become a megastore's parking lot!

Mrshilka

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on March 25, 2016, 05:06:11 AM
<snip>

Respect Fluffy:) was not sure who made the mod that allowed it but it is fantastic:) Thanks for another great mod.
Also updated your mod int he pack myself I cannot believe how much food you gather when people automatically harvest mushroom at the instant they are ready to be done.

Erik

is it possible that there is a problem when adding this mod to an existing save?
when opening, all my people finish their active job, and then stop. they just go to "standing"

I think the problem occurs because in my save, my people don't have the skill "managing", so if I go to my "work" tab, I see only one or 2 of my people, while my colony counts about 21 I think.
when I opened my save I got a debugger view saying this for every one of my people: "did not find skill of def managing, returning shooting 4 (4369 133xp)" the last numbers are based on their shooting skill I think.
screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kjz4in7qiw83mys/Schermafdruk%202016-03-26%2017.28.06.png

sidfu

found a small issue not sure what causes it. i have mine set up with arond 10 bills to do some basic upkeep like metal bars and wood planks. ealier my crafters stoped moveing and wouldnt do job so did normal that fix it. remove all jobs from both mine and the manager.  but i noticed what might have caused it. even thou i removed all bills even my own and no one was manning the desk(growing season she to busy) it keep reputting a bill for one of the items on there over and over. log had message about 10 tasks per tick( ill get exactg message next time).
seems to mee for whatever reason when she was updateing bills she was getting stuck at that bill and keep trying to apply it which caused it.

probaly a bug with game and not your mod butt thought i would mention it just incase a thought comes to your mind.

keep up the good work realy enjoy your mod.

Mrshilka

Quote from: Erik on March 26, 2016, 12:37:47 PM
is it possible that there is a problem when adding this mod to an existing save?
when opening, all my people finish their active job, and then stop. they just go to "standing"

I think the problem occurs because in my save, my people don't have the skill "managing", so if I go to my "work" tab, I see only one or 2 of my people, while my colony counts about 21 I think.
when I opened my save I got a debugger view saying this for every one of my people: "did not find skill of def managing, returning shooting 4 (4369 133xp)" the last numbers are based on their shooting skill I think.
screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kjz4in7qiw83mys/Schermafdruk%202016-03-26%2017.28.06.png

Mod specifically says it will break old saves because of the managing work skill.

sidfu

dont know what it is. yesterday mod was fine. today keep getting the more than 10 tasks a tick on my crafters.

ive not addded any orders only thing i have did is add some pallets to hold stuff. wonder if its haveing  issues scanning the 5 pallets i added at the benches. guess ill try by haveing the pallets hold justs raw mats intead of completeed stuff.

Fluffy (l2032)

As mentioned in the OP, the mod requires a new game.

10 jobs in 10 ticks error are more or less a random appearance in the game, and occur more the more mods you install. As far as I know, they're not specifically related to anything I do in the manager. As for pallets, assuming they work with the vanilla resource counts (e.g. the counts in the upper left corner are correct - you can easily check this), there's no reason they would be a a particular problem.

If you turn on devmode, you can usually get some idea of which pawn/job is causing the 10 jobs errors, then just delete the worktable that is making him bug out, which usually does the trick. If the error does appear related to the manager mod, I'd really appreciate a copy of the output_log.txt.

Fafn1r

I'm wondering - is this mod only for setting up chain production lines? What if I want to craft a specific amount of building materials for a single structure? Like "keep enough steel for 2 wind turbines until they are built, outside of the production chain".

Hmm. Perhaps I could do this by setting up stockpiles and restrictions. By the way, have you thought about stockpile management? Managing production to set aside materials for building or automatically moving meals from a refrigerator to a stockpile close to a dining table.

I've noticed an issue when the manager sets up too much jobs when the materials are not yet in a stockpile. I don't really mind, because with long production chains, only the cheapest items are crafted more than needed. Let's classify it as a "pawn error". But I do need to prioritize hauling with this management system.

EDIT: Got the same bug with setting multiple jobs.
worktable screen
debug log
You are saying that it can be fixed by deleting and respawning the worktable? What's causing it anyway?

Fluffy (l2032)

Hey nimander, thanks for the feedback.

Currently, this mod is only for 'fixed' thresholds. So yeah, you specify an amount and/or some other criteria, and the managers will keep creating bills to meet that amount. I've got some ideas for a 'just in time'/'planning mode' sort of approach, where you'd be able to build things without actually having the ingredients, and the list of required ingredients would be sent as one-time jobs to your worktables. This is similar to how Gnomoria does things, as well as DF when you have the mod that does that (can't remember what it's called). That's going to be after A13, and after I've updated my current set of mods though.

As for the manager overproducing; this is true. I think you'll find the exact same thing happens when you set a 'do until x' job normally (not 100% sure on that though). This is because I use the built-in resource tracker to avoid having to scan the entire map every time I need a thingcount (and that's a lot of times). This vanilla tracker only counts what is in stockpiles for goods that count as resources (so basically everything but apparel and weapons). I could rewrite this to do a full scan, but that would be much slower - and it introduces a new problem; do you really want droppods at the other end of the map to count?

As for the 10 jobs in 10 ticks error, as far as I'm aware, this is a vanilla issue. I'm not sure what causes it, but I haven't actually touched the job code, I just set more bills. Hence, I think it's unlikely this is caused by the manager, it just crops up more often because there are more jobs (and you may have other mods/a modpack that add even more jobs).

And yeah, I've managed to fix these bugs in my own playthrough by rebuilding the offending worktables. YMMV.

Fafn1r

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on April 01, 2016, 05:00:26 AMdo you really want droppods at the other end of the map to count?

Not really, as I play only on the biggest maps. The cutting-too-much-wood thing can be easily solved by placing a forest-wide stockpile with lower priority than the main wood stockpile.

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on April 01, 2016, 05:00:26 AMAs for the 10 jobs in 10 ticks error, as far as I'm aware, this is a vanilla issue. I'm not sure what causes it, but I haven't actually touched the job code, I just set more bills. Hence, I think it's unlikely this is caused by the manager, it just crops up more often because there are more jobs (and you may have other mods/a modpack that add even more jobs).

It's just my intuition, but from what I've seen your mod handles setting jobs differently than vanilla - it assigns specific colonists, hence the ability to set highest skill colonist to do the job. Debug log also confirms this. So, this may be it - the bug has roots in the piece of code that picks a colonist.