[A14] Colony Manager

Started by Fluffy (l2032), November 18, 2015, 06:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stewydeadmike

Alright, thank you everything is working fine now.  ;D

Fluffy (l2032)

The order in the manager has two effects;
- higher jobs get done by the manager first, and therefore will be updated more often.
- if there's multiple jobs for the same workstation, bills on the workstation will be added in the same order, meaning higher jobs' products get crafted first.

The manager does NOT influence the priority of different types of work, e.g. butchering, cooking, crafting etc. etc.

This is for the simple reason that when a pawn is looking for work, he's not aware of where the work comes from - wether that is 'automagic' jobs, manually set jobs, or manager jobs. Having manager priorities be perfectly reflected in the game would A) conflict in unexpected ways with the work tab, but you'd still need the worktab for other types of jobs (e.g. doctoring, firefighting), so the result would be a mess. And B) require a full rewrite of the job/priority code, completely replacing vanilla. I don't have time for that, even if I thought it was a good idea.

Zhorts

Lovely mod, automates just enough to reduce the tedious tasks while still keeping the game a challenge rather than an auto-player! Tricky line to keep, in my experience.

I hope one of you has a solution to one of the quirks I have found: I use the Livestock manager extensively, and it works wonderfully for almost all animals. But not for chicken...
I keep my chicken in four groups:

• 4 male and 4 female adults in one enclosure as breeding pairs for new fertilized eggs and future chicken
  • 10 female adults in one enclosure to produce unfertilized eggs for food
  • The remaining females go in one enclosure, for selling or growing up some to become food
  • The remaining males go in a fourth enclosure, for selling or growing up to be slaughtered
However, Colony Manager has no way to distinguish my breeding pairs and my egg producing females from the rest, so they regularly get slaughtered when I set my "adult" limit to 4 males, 14 females. (There seems to be some "oldest first" or something in play as well, making the situation worse)
Ideally, I would like an option to designate some animals as "breeding stock", excluding them from slaughter orders. By then keeping group 2 and 3 above together, it doesn't matter if it's an original female or a new one that gets slaughtered. In a perfect world, the breeding stock can also be assigned its own area (as can be done now for male and female), thus keeping the adult males away from the unfertilized-egg-producing females...

Fluffy (l2032)

Hey Zhorts, first off thanks for the feedback, automation of tedious parts without becoming a magic button was exactly what I was going for, so I'm to hear I succeeded in that!

As for your chicken farm; it's definitely an idea to treat egg-laying animals differently, separating adults into a breeding stock and a food production stock. I'll have to think about how feasible it is, there might be some tricky interactions.

Oh and you're right about the oldest first thing, manager will try to designate the oldest adults, and the youngest juveniles. All other things being equal, that seemed like the best way to deal with maintaining an adult population and breeding new animals in general.

Grogfeld

I remember that I ask you Fluffy for something that adjust time between Pawn goes to manager desk, well I didn't expect that you create a different mod for this ;) This mod and Work tabs makes so much sense together. Now I just adjust two hours (8:00 and 20:00, start of work schedule for night and day workers ) in the day that gets priority 1 on managing and I have fully functioning colony without . Once again thanks Fluffy for great mods that makes life easier!

Gfurst

Awesome mod Fluffy, the manager jobs are amazing, they are always keeping of top of everything, like hunting and harvesting wild berries, it almost like easy mode.

I have some question of how users use it though:
Each job/resource things take one "job" for the manager worker to look into? I keep one manager as priority and she is also a researcher, so I'm she keeps always going to the manager desk instead of doing some valuable research. In which case, can't we choose the interval before something needs to be checked?

Somewhat similar, there is an issue when moving stuff around in storage, it ends up counting less than what you actually have, so for example I moved all my wood somewhere and suddenly a bunch of new chop orders appeared, thus resulting in nearly double the stockpile.

Also, do you guys set everything as manager jobs? I tried on even with meals and they seem to work pretty well, though I'm afraid of her being unable to manage for whatever reason. So it may be overkill.

edit: And almost forgot, with the new "no animal incest" thing, there could be some risk of having only siblings pet animals as a result of butchering the older. Seriously don't makes much sense since animals are always doing that. Eitherway, this new rule make farm animals much harder to deal with.

Fluffy (l2032)

Thanks! :)

Changing job intervals is something I've been thinking about, it's a variable already, it's just always set to the same value. I'll need to add a nice way to change it.

Moving stuff around shouldn't actually affect the count. In most cases, assuming you're not using stockpile filters and such, and for most resources, the counts used are the same as those shown in the top left of the screen. When your pawns move stuff, it will probably get temporarily deducted from this list as well (haven't tested), which might indeed cause more jobs.

I tend to use a lot of manager jobs, yeah. Also because I like having all of em in one place so I don't have to search for all the separate stations. Building the powered manager desk helps because it's quite a bit faster. When you have an AI core, researching and building the AI manager computer is definitely worthwhile - it can easily keep up with a mid-large colony.

As for animal incest, I released a mini-mod on the steam workshop for precisely this purpose. It basically removes the incest flag for relations between animals, so they breed with whatever is closest again.

Autocthon

Hi Fluffy

Sorry if you've answered this question before but, I've noticed the only folders available for DL on Githtub for this mod say "source code". Those are still the correct folders right? I noticed they have those Gitattribute and Gitignore files in them so I wondered if I had the right folder?

Jozay

Hey Fluffy
Thx for this great mod  :)  I made a translation in French

I tried to make a Pull Request on GitHub but ... "Unable to merge"  :o   

Bye

French translations :
- Hospitality
- EPOE
- More Vanilla Turret
- Colony Manager
- etc.
Feel free to MP me if you search a translator !
My GitHub repositorie

biship

just found this today, wow fantastic -thanks Mr Fluffy

Edit: I'm up to ~70 mods now, and behind CCL, this mod has to be the best out there. I don't think I could play without it.

Serenity

The power graphs are nice. That should really be in the main game. But I guess it's too difficult or impossible to separate this by networks? So if you have several independent power nets, you can statistics for each.

Fluffy (l2032)

@authochton, yeah, they're the correct ones.
It's mostly a problem with me being too lazy to create a zip file and attach it manually each time I do an update

@Jozay, thanks, I'll add it to the next release!

@biship, you're welcome :)

@serenity; I've thought about it, and it should theoretically be possible - but it would complicate things quite a bit. Maybe if/when I get a bit more free time and I'm a bit further down my to-do list of other ideas.

chaotix14

Do you think you could make it so the colony manager manages the general farming as well? Something as simple as stopping the sowing when threshold X is reached and then re-enabling the sowing when the stock dips below X?

I mean it might just be me, but I am always overkilling the farming part and the mirco can get just a tad tedious.

Jinxi

AWESOME!!! Thanks so much for this Mod. It makes my Rimworld much easier to manage especially in the later game with a hugh colony.

Btw....yesterday i just started a colony without any mod (actually i have 30 mods) to see how it works without. What should i say? Thanks to all modders for their incredible work and especially for the great ideas they implement in this great game.

bunz4u

Any word on if this mod will be updated to alpha 15? This is one of those mods that's almost hard for me to play without now that I've used it, and it'd be a disaster if there's no plans to update this to alpha 15 :(