Is there a steam price yet?

Started by Tuomari, November 19, 2015, 10:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuomari

according to FAQ this game will be in steam, so is there any information how much its going to cost becose 30d for alpha game is way too much.

Korben Dallas

Honestly, for the price I\d say its more then fair. I had to pay 42.00 CDN and I've got no regrets. Just get the game if you're interested you won't be disappointed.

Tuomari

i have watched Quill's lets play series of RimWorld (alpha 12) and yes im interested, but not everyone can just buy 30d game if they are interested in it

Tuomari

I just hope that when it comes in early access its price would be about the same as "Gnomoria" because they seem to be around same quality and Gnomoria's price is very fair.

Otherwise i might need to pass on this one.

milon

Not everyone can spare $30 instantly, but everyone can save. I had to save up, which means budgeting and saying no to other purchases. And I have no regrets whatsoever.

FYI, I believe Tynan has said before that the price is the price. It's $30 now, or $30 later. The biggest difference is how soon you own the game.  But I could be mistaken, of course.

Tuomari

If it's going to actually cost 30$ on steam its way too much. I get that at the beginning with Kickstarter you can ask high prices from people who want to support this game at the very beginning but usually this type of indie games are 5-10$
Maybe i just wishlist it and buy it on sale at later date.

Austupaio

On release the game will easily sell for twenty to thirty dollars with the right marketing, therefore it will probably be around there so that Tynan can make a profit. That's just business. The price will go down over time, just like everything on Steam.

AFAIK, there's no marketing or pricing information yet, as Tynan does not seem to be gearing up for release yet.

Thane

O.o  30 dollars for a game like this is expensive? I've easily gotten more enjoyment and playtime out of it than many so called AAA titles.
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

DeltaV

Quote from: Tuomari on November 20, 2015, 08:00:44 AM
If it's going to actually cost 30$ on steam its way too much. I get that at the beginning with Kickstarter you can ask high prices from people who want to support this game at the very beginning but usually this type of indie games are 5-10$
Maybe i just wishlist it and buy it on sale at later date.

No idea where you're pulling that from. Any indie game that you buy on greenlight or whatever for $5 is going to have far less substance than Rimworld. It's a bit on the pricey side as indie goes, but not for lack of content.
Quote from: Douglas AdamsIt is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Tuomari

Quote from: DeltaV on November 20, 2015, 09:41:41 PM
No idea where you're pulling that from. Any indie game that you buy on greenlight or whatever for $5 is going to have far less substance than Rimworld. It's a bit on the pricey side as indie goes, but not for lack of content.

I pulled that from Steam Indie games list. Out of 20 NEW indie games 19 was 0-15 d mark.  Only "Vendetta - Curse of Raven's Cry" was 49,99 which is just ridiculous.

REMworlder

I don't know what you want us to say? Almost everyone here thinks the game is worth the $30 we paid for it. A huge part of the game's value is that it's playable and largely bug-free right now, more than most games on Steam, plus it has lots of future content in store.

If you don't wait it, don't buy it. Call Tynan's bluff. Simple.

Not all games are created equal.

Tuomari

Quote from: REMworlder on November 21, 2015, 02:07:57 AM
I don't know what you want us to say? Almost everyone here thinks the game is worth the $30 we paid for it. A huge part of the game's value is that it's playable and largely bug-free right now, more than most games on Steam, plus it has lots of future content in store.

If you don't wait it, don't buy it. Call Tynan's bluff. Simple.

Not all games are created equal.

Chill Mr. fanboy, all i meant that IN MY OPINION 30$ is a bit too much but i also said in my previous post that if it really is going to be 30d on steam i'm just going to wait for it to be on sale because this game really seems interesting. No need to become so defensive.

TLHeart

Personally, I hope he raises the price with the steam release... in the current state of development, it beats many AAA games that cost $50 to $70.

REMworlder

Quote from: Tuomari on November 21, 2015, 02:22:54 AM
Chill Mr. fanboy, all i meant that IN MY OPINION 30$ is a bit too much but i also said in my previous post that if it really is going to be 30d on steam i'm just going to wait for it to be on sale because this game really seems interesting. No need to become so defensive.

Growing up with $50-$60 games like Age of Mythology (which is still $30 in Steam btw) or Age of Empires III (still $40) I really don't see $30 as that much, especially since if you're earning in USD you're not getting absolutely hammered on the exchange rate like some people. Honestly if you don't feel like waiting that's fine. The game won't be on Steam for a few months anyways.

Beyond that, let me be totally honest. Cards on the table. I used to get asked about price points during work and it absolutely killed me -- not that I don't get asked still. A part of my soul is irrevocably gone and all that's left in its place is cost accounting that 99% of people don't care about and they'll go and buy clothing or alcohol with 50% markup but then shriek and rend their clothing when the tariff rate they pay for imports rises 5%. And honestly at an industrial level where you're making thousands or millions of something that's understandable because it can add up.

But let's talk about price points at an individual level where a single purchase is in play. $30 is almost as much as the average American spends on fast food in a week ($25). At this rate the average American could buy 40 copies of RimWorld a year instead of 250 domestic Big Macs. $30 is half of what the latest annual version of Call of Duty costs. $30 is a pair of Levis jeans. $30 is a handle of Johnny Walker. But you wouldn't walk into your local Spec's or Target and ask why they charge so much for that?

Quote from: Tynan on December 10, 2014, 03:01:52 PM
We don't really do sales. I think they distort the market a lot so I've avoided them. It sucks when you buy the game and it goes on sale 2 days later.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=7884.msg79264#msg79264

Veneke

It's a bit crazy to start comparing spending $30 on a video game to $30 on a pair of jeans. Really what you should be looking at is the price of comparable games on the market. So the price of indie city-building games like Banished, Planetbase, DF-9, Gnomoria, Clockwork Empires, Project Aura, and so on, should be where you draw a comparison. Price-wise they typically go from $10 to $20 with some outliers like Clockwork Empires and Prison Architect pushing up to $30.

So although Rimworld is on the pricey side it isn't totally out of sync with the market. As others have said it's definitely worth the money in terms of hours/dollar, and unlike quite a number of indie city builders has comparatively few problems. So the price is justifiable, in my view anyway, at this stage of development on the basis that the game is not yet finished and is being worked on.

Whether it will continue to be justified is another question, and that's one of the real problems of high-cost entry barriers to early access indie games. Take Prison Architect which recently went to 1.0. It charged $30 and, during development, it was a solid purchase. Is it worth $30 now? Probably not given the longstanding issues with it that can't be fixed (like the inability to use more than one core which severely impedes long-term gameplay), and issues which the developers won't or can't fix (like poor pathfinding for guards). That's the gamble you take by purchasing Rimworld (or any other game in active development) prior to 1.0. You pay what you expect the game will be worth to you before it can deliver on that expectation. So whether it's too expensive right now is a very subjective thing that ultimately depends on whether you are willing to take that gamble. There's no question though that the high price of Rimworld makes that more of a gamble than if it was priced at $20... but I suppose that's pretty obvious so I'll stop talking now. :P