Metal Tiles really need to be cheaper

Started by Elixiar, November 21, 2015, 07:29:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elixiar

5 is way too high, you can easily spend upwards of 600 on a decent size room. Fine if it's stone but a colony can crumble without steel!
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

zandadoum

Quote from: Elixiar on November 21, 2015, 07:29:40 AM
5 is way too high, you can easily spend upwards of 600 on a decent size room. Fine if it's stone but a colony can crumble without steel!
then don't build steel floors if you can't afford it?

for starters i never build steel floors because i would not do that IRL either. one flashstorm next to your base and all your colonists electrified? i know this doesn't happen ingame, but that's the reason i'd never use steel for floors.

other than that, IF i would use steel floors, it would be after many years, when there's really nothing else you can do with all the silver. before that, steel is needed for important stuff like cooking table, turrets, electric wiring. why on earth would i want to use it for floors?

Duban

Quote from: Elixiar on November 21, 2015, 07:29:40 AM

I'm pretty sure the entire point of steel tiles is that you're spending a ridiculous price for the sake of appearances. They aren't supposed to be practical. They're supposed to look nice with a high price tag.

TLHeart

If steel floors were supposed to look nice, then the beauty would be higher than 2, like everything else, except for sliver, gold, and smoothed stone.

Duban

Quote from: TLHeart on November 21, 2015, 11:09:09 AM
If steel floors were supposed to look nice, then the beauty would be higher than 2, like everything else, except for sliver, gold, and smoothed stone.

They're supposed to look nice to the creator/player. They have a specific style that's good for world building. They're niche, that's all.

Elixiar

Sure but my point is they never feel affordable, unless a colony is really rich. Most of the time in late game my steel normally dwindles from constant replacement of turrets.

It feels more steep than sterile tiles and they are supposed to have a special purpose, 3 metal was fine like before.
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

ZestyLemons

Quote from: Duban on November 21, 2015, 11:10:51 AM
Quote from: TLHeart on November 21, 2015, 11:09:09 AM

They're supposed to look nice to the creator/player. They have a specific style that's good for world building. They're niche, that's all.

To be fair, if the argument for steel tiles being expensive is "because they look nice", that should really be reflected in the game as their beauty rating being proportional to the cost of building them. It's kind of silly to make them expensive and not that pretty in-game and say that the cost barrier is there because "players think they look nice".
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

REMworlder

Floors in general could use some love and could be so much cooler, but like furniture they're probably a work in progress we'll see some changes to next version.

But I'm pretty sure metal tiles being expensive is a conscious decision made to reflect the beauty of stone floors, because metal tiles are the nicest floor you can build from day 0 without using precious metals.

Here's how the beauty offered by metal tiles compares to the beauty from statues:

For the record, all the sculptures in question are steel

Doing quick and dirty math, metal tiles are equivalent to normal quality small sculptures. Considering the player doesn't have to invest all that's required for making a sculpture, including talent and the risk the produced sculpture is bad quality, metal tiles are a nice bargain.

There are other factors, but I think this sums up the value proposition for metal tiles pretty well.

note: I couldn't get a normal grand steel sculpture to spawn in dev mode if you're wondering about the 3 cited grand steel sculpture types. Need to pray for forgiveness from the data gods because it can be a little misleading...