Tips for ModVarietyPack

Started by jldkrocks, November 22, 2015, 08:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLHeart

Quote from: Britnoth on November 29, 2015, 02:18:17 PM
QuoteThe principle is the same.

Sure it is.

QuoteIt means zig-zagging is a legitimate way of avoiding fire just like in real life.

I do not wish to play a mod that turns combat into 'arcadey gameplay' either, So I guess I will look elsewhere.

Quotetactical decision making

I actually laughed out loud at this. If you think tactical decision making is possible when you hide the chance to hit behind multiple, hidden factors. Good for you.

QuoteIf you don't want to think too hard

I didn't think too hard about just giving up on Combat Realism and avoiding any modpacks that include it, thanks!

Since there are only 2 published modpacks, and both include Combat realism, guess you will have to make your own...

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Britnoth on November 29, 2015, 02:18:17 PM
Sure it is.

So you're saying solid rock doesn't crumble when hit with bullets? Sure.

QuoteI do not wish to play a mod that turns combat into 'arcadey gameplay' either, So I guess I will look elsewhere.

Arcadey gameplay is what vanilla has, where combat is completely stylized with only superficial connection to reality.

QuoteI actually laughed out loud at this. If you think tactical decision making is possible when you hide the chance to hit behind multiple, hidden factors. Good for you.

You only need to know the general principles to make good decisions: aiming accuracy influences leading and rangefinding, shooting accuracy influences recoil and gun stability, moving and hiding behind cover makes you harder to hit. The former two are mentioned in the description of the stats, the last is common sense. And when compared to vanilla the general principles are easier to grasp because it is a system that anyone who has basic knowledge of how firearms works is already familiar with.

You might not see the exact values (because like I told you, that section of code cannot be changed without breaking compatibility with everyone and their dog) but neither do most RTS games tell you about these things, nevermind real commanders who know a mere fraction of the information we get presented with in Rimworld. Yet it never stopped anyone from making intelligent tactical decisions even if they didn't know the exact mathematical probabilities involved.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."