Disabled Thrumbo

Started by Warchicken, November 22, 2015, 08:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warchicken

First playthrough and I incapacitate a Thrumbo is it worth to treat and tame?

BTW, what the heck is with the anti-robot question during registration?  What T.V. show, "Star Journey" was he talking about? Did he mean SG-1?

Komyets

Hmm... could be good to train someone's doctoring skills :D

Warchicken

Yeah I might as well just do that.  Im looking at the injuries and its a 132 year old Female Thrumbo with no permanent damage.  I sort of knicked it while I was hunting alpha beavers.

Duban

Quote from: Warchicken on November 22, 2015, 08:58:40 PM

BTW, what the heck is with the anti-robot question during registration?  What T.V. show, "Star Journey" was he talking about? Did he mean SG-1?

Trek is another word for Journey. Therefore Star Journey = Star Trek. Yeah it's a really confusing piece of shit.

Warchicken

Quote from: Duban on November 22, 2015, 09:53:18 PM

Trek is another word for Journey. Therefore Star Journey = Star Trek. Yeah it's a really confusing piece of shit.

Man here I thought there was a new show I was missing out on.

Dodging Rain

Thrumbos are very difficult creatures.  At level 20 you have roughly 1% chance of taming it, takes almost as long to gain one level in training, and it has the 2nd largest appetite of the game (second to the alpha beavers).  It can haul a lot but by that time you'd probably gotten a several boars by the time you get a thrumbo trained to haul.  So what is it good for?  Defense mostly.  It is pretty much one of the tankiest and hard hitting creature of the game and a good candidate for the corner interception.

T####
#E____
#_###
#_#

The big problem though is that some unlucky hits will leave it permanently scarred and it a bit too precious of a pet to have permanently damaged so I would really only keep it if I had the -And a Dog said- pet bionic mod.

Is it worth keeping them?  I can't really say for sure since I am not that experienced and my comments are more biased towards liking boars and dogs for haulers and chickens for zerg defense (esting) though my own opinion says it is just a trophy pet.

milon

If you want a trophy pet, try to tame it.

If you want practical, butcher it. It's parts are really useful/valuable.

MeowRailroad

What I want to know is how you managed to "nick" it while hunting. What high-powered weapon were you using for an accidental shot to disable it?
Quote from: Tynan on December 02, 2016, 05:24:06 PM
This is like being in a remote fishing town in Libera and asking, "Why can't I just pay one of the fishermen $10 to take me back to Los Angeles?"

Warchicken

I was CLEARLY sniping a wild boar in the distance. . . several knicks later it gets enraged and I hid behind base wall.  Turrets shot it. took down three turrets before it decided to keel over.  A GREAT WAY to train doctors BTW. Tons of XP.  But decided not to tame. Something that big must also EAT big.  Selling the horn when I see a good price.

Limdood

btw, something i learned late.

Thrumbo horns are roughly equivalent to something like a superior quality steel gladius as a weapon - 15 damage, 1.66 CD.

I'd never even thought of the horn being a weapon, but in a couple games, i managed to take out a thrumbo via door ducking very early in the game....made good use of the horn as a weapon for a little while.

Komyets

Quote from: Limdood on November 23, 2015, 10:51:18 PM
btw, something i learned late.

Thrumbo horns are roughly equivalent to something like a superior quality steel gladius as a weapon - 15 damage, 1.66 CD.

I'd never even thought of the horn being a weapon, but in a couple games, i managed to take out a thrumbo via door ducking very early in the game....made good use of the horn as a weapon for a little while.

Yup, the Thrumbo Horn is a very respectable brawler weapon, especially when you have a brawler, but no melee weapon avaiable at the time, a better weapon should replace the horn eventually, when you find or craft one, but the Horn serves its purpose meanwhile, you dont want it to get damaged much or it loses its value!

zandadoum

about thrumbo horns:

1) they are superior t omany other weapons, but you can still craft better masterwork items with better DPS

2) if you don't have 101% good mood going on in your colony, i suggest brawlers "parking" their weapons in a shelf when not needed, because a berserk brawler with a too good weapon (like thrumbo horn) can kill another colonist way too easy... or at least cause some severe injuries

3) also careful on progressive storytellers like cassandra... an early game thrumbo kill will result in a spike in your wealth, meaning a spike in difficulty that is hard (or impossible) to lower again. i have seen many streamers kill a thrumbo early on and then getting pwned by huge raids when they still just had 3-4 guys and a turret

and now, back to topic:
i have downed thrumbos a lot. and many times did i try to heal them and tame them (lvl20 medic and tamer) without success... not just because taming is so hard, but because in order to down a thrumbo you have to hurt it a lot. and it takes a lot of time to heal it. most of the times, thrumbos i have captured have died of infection, even tho i had 2 lvl20 healers nonstop and glitterworld medicine assigned to them. also: you have to micromanage to switch your healers, because it needs so many hours to heal a thrumbo that your medics might collapse of exhaustion and then have a bad mood.

also: do they eat anything apart from trees? coz EFF THAT SH*T xD

Dodging Rain

They also eat plants and related so hay works but as expected, they eat a lot of it.

top_hat_tomato

Quote from: Duban on November 22, 2015, 09:53:18 PM

I got a question like "what are the 3 primary colors/colours , and I put red , blue , and yellow ...( it wanted RBG )

giannikampa

I use to wait for the thrumbos to get asleep and suddenly build 4 wood doors to block them when they wake up:

d
dTd

d=door
T=sleeping thrumbo

I set them on tame but I think it is a waste of time and food because it never happened to me in this situation, the main goal is to rescue them as soon as they become inconcius by malnutrition, almost one on three times i can get them rescued and fed in time, it seems easier to tame in this situation (still hard). If they die i take advantage from tailoring with 19 minimum skill a hi quality thrumbofur pant or two (dont tailor at lower skill, just set a proper order on the bench and the task will be performed as soon as someone gets to 19). plus meat plus horn plus no human suffering or risk.

remember to remove roof when deconstructing the 4 doors or someone can get hurt ;)

Tamed thrumbos looks kinda useless to me, i take them as trophy and hope for some hauling.

Lost a couple by alcool overdose.. strange suicidal creatures they are! got fancy pants and shirts
And as always.. sorry for my bad english