Computer Question

Started by MeowRailroad, November 27, 2015, 12:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeowRailroad

Will Rimworld run well on either of these specs? They are from the Trainz Forums as I needed to know what stuff can run Trainz as I am getting a new computer, and I have never gotten a Windows computer before.
Minimum:
Processor: Pentium D 3.4GHz (or equiv)
Memory: 1 GB RAM
Graphics: nVidia GeForce 7200/128MB or equivalent
Hard Drive: Approx. 16GB hard drive space
Sound: DirectX 9.0c or compatible Sound Card,
DirectX 9.0c
Mouse and keyboard

Recommended:
Processor: Core 2 Duo (or equivalent),
Memory: 2 GB RAM,
Graphics: nVidia GeForce 8800 (or equiv)
Hard Drive: Approx. 16GB hard drive space,
Sound: DirectX 9.0c or compatible Sound Card,
DirectX 9.0c
Mouse and keyboard
Quote from: Tynan on December 02, 2016, 05:24:06 PM
This is like being in a remote fishing town in Libera and asking, "Why can't I just pay one of the fishermen $10 to take me back to Los Angeles?"

harpo99999

either spec should run rimworld, BUT it will benefit from MOAR RAMS (suggest 4gb or more(if 32 bit OS lik xp there is a OS limit of 4GB)(if 64 bit os then limit is by motherboard of computer)),
also will benefit from more GHZ on the cpu,
but not much benefit from more cores other than in the OS at present (tynan might add multi-threading potential but it is not seen at present)

milon

I haven't read anything about RimWorld on WinXP, so I can't comment on that. The minimum specs will run it, but it will likely be slow or else lag when a lot happens at once.  It will still be quite playable, however, but you may want to turn down the graphical quality.

The recommended specs will run RimWorld quite happily with no problems.

MeowRailroad

Okay, thank you for helping me out. I know almost nothing about windows so I need a lot of help with making decisions about it.
This is like being in a remote fishing town in Libera and asking, "Why can't I just pay one of the fishermen $10 to take me back to Los Angeles?"

Shurp

BTW, you'll also want a screen resolution with at least 768 lines.  1024x768 is fine.  800x600 will lose menu options.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

MeowRailroad

Yeah, I currently have 1280x1024, and I will probably be getting a bigger monitor.

cultist

Get Windows 7. Windows 8 is a mess, and Vista is full of security holes because it's not supported any more.

Do you use a mac usually? I think mac is supported.

Toggle

Quote from: cultist on November 29, 2015, 05:40:07 PM
Get Windows 7. Windows 8 is a mess, and Vista is full of security holes because it's not supported any more.

Do you use a mac usually? I think mac is supported.

Mac and linux are supported, but I wouldn't be one to suggest mac over windows. Apparently it should run fine anyways, so there's no need to comment on the OS currently.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

top_hat_tomato

I ran Rimworld on a Dell Latitude D630 ( Core 2 Duo 1.86GHz - 2 GB RAM ) and it worked fine on a 200 by 200 world  but it was a bit laggy on 250 by 250

RawCode

1gb memory is joke.

I have such computer on workplace, working with it is pain and suffering, opening multiple word documents close to impossible task due to extreme response time due to swapping.

harpo99999

agreed, 1gb is extremly painfull to do ANYTHING with current operating systems, 4gb is enormously better

MeowRailroad

I was thinking about using Windows 10 and more GB.

harpo99999

window X has some issues that can effect games (at least from the few forums that I read) so might not be the best choice for a gamer

RawCode

7-64 + 16gb memory will allow you to use computer for few years without any issues.