Carpet<Smooth stone floors???

Started by Sometenranadom, November 28, 2015, 01:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Regret

Quote from: TLHeart on December 02, 2015, 09:36:24 AM
Quote from: Regret on December 02, 2015, 05:47:20 AM
Quote from: milon on December 01, 2015, 05:07:35 AM
Quote from: Regret on November 29, 2015, 06:06:57 PM
I did read something about floors existing in 2 layers, which is why you can remove certain floors.
I haven't noticed any results of stacking though, I think only the top layer counts.

There's floor, and there's terrain. Flooring can always be pulled up to reveal the terrain, and terrain cannot be changed. Terrain only matters if there's no flooring on top of it.
Good to know, does smoothed stone count as floor or terrain?

you can remove flooring, but you can not remove smoothed stone, it is terrain.
Yep, tested it myself earlier today. So a stacking bonus would be possible, though not necessarily desirable.
Doesn't work that way at the moment AFAIK.

TitaniumTurtle

I would take polished marble floors over hardwood or carpet anyday.

Regret

Quote from: TitaniumTurtle on December 04, 2015, 01:53:19 AM
Marble is very pretty and easy to clean as well.
Though if it is the actually bedrock I don't think it will ever warm up. I wouldn't build my house on  a heatsink, I hate having cold feet.
Carpets would do wonders for keeping my feet warm, but are horrible to keep clean.

Even expensive marble tiles with proper insulation still feel cold. Floor-heating would be required, making the floor even more expensive.
As a middle ground I would prefer solid planks of aged oak with a triple layer of thermal insulation below.
But then again, I grew up on wood floors. I may just be biased.

TitaniumTurtle

Quote from: Regret on December 06, 2015, 05:08:22 PM
Quote from: TitaniumTurtle on December 04, 2015, 01:53:19 AM
Marble is very pretty and easy to clean as well.
Though if it is the actually bedrock I don't think it will ever warm up. I wouldn't build my house on  a heatsink, I hate having cold feet.
Carpets would do wonders for keeping my feet warm, but are horrible to keep clean.

Even expensive marble tiles with proper insulation still feel cold. Floor-heating would be required, making the floor even more expensive.
As a middle ground I would prefer solid planks of aged oak with a triple layer of thermal insulation below.
But then again, I grew up on wood floors. I may just be biased.
You are right about the temperature issues, except one thing that I would love to see in the actual game is that the earth below roughly 12 feet begins to have a natural temperature of well above freezing. Depending on your location in the U.S. alone the average ground temperature sits about mid 40s to low 70s (Fahrenheit). Obviously these are different planets, but it stands to reason that a natural underground temperature could be set to match per biome. This would therefore make natural, solid, smooth, stone floors a fairly reasonable (at worst uncomfortable) temperature. That coupled with ambient heat of the air and its not really an issue. All that aside though, my original comment was purely remarking on the beauty aspect of the stone. I also find wood to be more attractive than tile myself.

wiscrack

Off topic, how can I remove floor if I see them from some old abandoned building, or I cant?

milon

Under the Floors menu, use the Remove Floor command.  ;)

Austupaio

Just to note though, getting rid of that floor is purely to get at the soil underneath it, removing it does not give you the resources.