Power Output is bugged.

Started by Volumunox, November 30, 2015, 06:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volumunox

So, i love data and statistics and all that nonsense and i thought, why not make a power chart for everything to better manage power flow.

What i found was weird, to say the least.
Our presumption is that Batteries store 50% of the surplus.

If the time is switched to 1 minute intervals and the game gets to run for 1 in game hour, then the output should be the total (daily) output divided by 24 (hours) and corrected for the battery efficiency as the stored medium.

In order to test this, the methodology is as follows: X = Battery O = Power source
Setup: XO
Timeframe: measured for one ingame hour at peak output (Wind turbine ignored, due to number of variables)

Solar Panel output should be 1700W divided with 24h equals 71W (rounded)
Solar Panel battery = 25W
In this case it gives a battery that is only 32,9% efficient instead of 50%

Geothermal output should be 3600W divided with 24h equals 150W
Geothermal battery = 52W
In this case it gives a battery that is only 34,69% efficient instead of 50%

Given that they have different values in regards to percentage, one can assume that the power output itself is off in this case.
The results has been confirmed on two different installs of Rimworld.

You can also go look at the thread "Battery Storage bug"

TLHeart

methodology is flawed to start. Solar panels also vary output, based upon amount of sunlight.

Second did you run the game for EXACTLY 1 hour of game time? 30,000 ticks/24 = 1250 ticks? or did you try to pause the game at one hour?

Volumunox

It shouldn't be varied when the solar panel is in it's peak hour.

And pausing the game at exactly the right time would be very difficult to master. instead i've done the same thing over and over with the same result, reinstalling the game to ensure a clean file and it's been tested on another computer with the same results.
The power displayed doesn't change. So unless there is another way to view power, it's flawed.

EDIT: also the numbers are still way off, even 100's of ticks off.

TLHeart

See your presumption that batteries store 50% of the excess is false.

As tynan has stated in the past, the batteries consume 2 watts of power, and store 1 watt when there is an excess, meaning they provide 50% efficient storage. They do NOT store 50% of the excess power.

The fastest a battery will go from 0 to 1000 watts stored is 400 normal ticks... which is 19.2 hours. Does not matter how much surplus power there is on the grid, so long as there is surplus power, the battery will consume up to 5 watts, storing 50% of the watts, per normal tick.

So using your example of geo thermal 1 hour being 150 watts, which is  20.8 normal ticks, so at 20*5*0.5= 50.   21*5*0.5=52.5. As the batteries only update on the normal tick, not every tick.

Tynan

I did some tests and everything appears to be working fine.

Bear in mind that several power plants, like solar etc, make different amounts of power at different times (or on different days).
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog