Battery Storage is bugged.

Started by Volumunox, November 30, 2015, 07:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volumunox

As a follow up to my previous thread "Power output is bugged" I've found another issue, in this case a decline in power stored for each increase in the number of batteries.
Basically the more batteries you have the less surplus energy is stored.

My methodology is as followed: X = Battery O = Power source
Setup : XO   XOX   XXOX   XXOXX   XXXOXX   XXXOXXX

The test is started with each battery at 0. All batteries begin charging at the same time and the test is stopped when the single battery (control) hits 100w stored.
All totals should equal 100w, spread across the number of batteries, as that is the assumption.

The below numbers are:
Amount of power in each battery X Number of batteries = Total stored power

For the Wind Turbine the following statistics for each battery, in order of increasing number of batteries:
100x1=100
50x2=100
28x3=84
21x4=84
16x5=80
13x6=78

For the Solar Panels the following statistics for each battery, in order of increasing number of batteries:
100x1=100
50x2=100
33x3=99 (most likely because of odd number, assume 100)
19x4=76
16x5=80
14x6=84

For the Geothermal the following statistics for each battery, in order of increasing number of batteries (only had 5 vents):
100x1=100
50x2=100
33x3=99 (most likely because of odd number, assume 100)
25x4=100
20x5=100

This shows a fundamental issue with having a large networks and the storage needed, unless the colony only uses Geothermal energy.

milon

Quote from: Volumunox on November 30, 2015, 07:11:49 PM

The test is started with each battery at 0. All batteries begin charging at the same time and the test is stopped when the single battery (control) hits 100w stored.
All totals should equal 100w, spread across the number of batteries, as that is the assumption.

That's not how batteries work.  In case you haven't seen the reply in your other thread yet:

Quote from: TLHeart on December 01, 2015, 07:29:47 AM
See your presumption that batteries store 50% of the excess is false.

As tynan has stated in the past, the batteries consume 2 watts of power, and store 1 watt when there is an excess, meaning they provide 50% efficient storage. They do NOT store 50% of the excess power.

- snip -

Batteries themselves consume some power.  More batteries = more power consumption = less surplus to store.  I haven't done the math so I could be wrong, but I believe this is behaving as it should.

Volumunox

you're right, i've done the math on it after the other explanation was giving about the ticks.

Personally, i think it models the physical world awfully, power is not a fixed amount on a macro scale, it's fluent.

Also the majority of wiki's needs to be updated to reflect how a battery actually stores power, which is what my presumption build upon.
It's been hard to find anything "official" outside of player experimentation, which also was limited.
For example:
http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Battery - "When connected to a power grid which produces more power than is consumed, the batteries will start charging up. Batteries charge at 50% efficiency, which means that only half of the available surplus energy counts towards charging them. Batteries need a connected power line to charge or power equipment."

http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Power - "If a power generator's output exceeds appliances power consumption, excess power will be distributed evenly amongst all non-full connected batteries, charging all batteries at the same rate. Likewise, if power consumption exceeds power generation, all non-empty batteries will deplete at the same rate to fill the power gap."

milon

Yeah, the wiki isn't official, unfortunately.  Anyone can add to it, which is great, except if their understanding isn't perfect.  Lots of it is very out dated too, especially when game mechanics change from one version to the next.  Please update the wiki with your findings, if you haven't yet.

And if you have suggestions for modelling power flow, distribution, etc (especially if it's not too computational-intensive), post it on the Suggestions thread for Tynan to look at.

TLHeart

Quote from: Volumunox on December 02, 2015, 01:42:30 PM
you're right, i've done the math on it after the other explanation was giving about the ticks.

Personally, i think it models the physical world awfully, power is not a fixed amount on a macro scale, it's fluent.

Also the majority of wiki's needs to be updated to reflect how a battery actually stores power, which is what my presumption build upon.
It's been hard to find anything "official" outside of player experimentation, which also was limited.
For example:
http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Battery - "When connected to a power grid which produces more power than is consumed, the batteries will start charging up. Batteries charge at 50% efficiency, which means that only half of the available surplus energy counts towards charging them. Batteries need a connected power line to charge or power equipment."

http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Power - "If a power generator's output exceeds appliances power consumption, excess power will be distributed evenly amongst all non-full connected batteries, charging all batteries at the same rate. Likewise, if power consumption exceeds power generation, all non-empty batteries will deplete at the same rate to fill the power gap."

welcome to the world of an alpha game in development. The wiki can be edited by anyone, with anything they want to say. Many, many things in the wiki are wrong, and it really is not worth the time to change it, since every 60 days, it needs updated, changed again.

With Tynan on his "vacation" recharge, we have a longer time between alpha releases, but who really wants to edit the wiki of all the wrong information, that we all expect to change again come spring.