Nuclear power

Started by zlongshark, December 06, 2015, 08:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyAgnt007

I just mod the ships antimatter reactor to produce 100k power and be build-able underground.  You can set the price to be whatever you want.  Its good enough for now. 

Though whatever end game power source there is shouldnt just be a build and forget item.  A nuke plant as we described would be a good challenge for an established base to take care of.  It doesnt need to be super realistic.  Maybe require more than one type of unique part to build.  Tynans blog already stated that there will be mechanical components in the game so some extension of that would be involved.

Thane

I like this idea. *Throws Yellow Cake on the ground* That cake was not sweet and delicious and did not contain flour, eggs, sugar or milk. :D
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

Mechanoid Hivemind

Quote from: Thane on December 08, 2015, 11:21:59 PM
I like this idea. *Throws Yellow Cake on the ground* That cake was not sweet and delicious and did not contain flour, eggs, sugar or milk. :D
Ha science joke i love it
yellow cake uranium
The individual is obsolete. When you and your kind are extinct, we will cleanse our collective memory of the stain of your existence.

Klitri

How about instead of building it, you buy pieces from exotic traders that can be constructed beside eachother and eventually turned into the whole nuclear power plant? It could also be some sort of fusion generator instead that's not as massive in scale.

Shabazza

Hm. When thinking of the purpose of the game (get a ship asap to leave the planet),
I doubt that such a complex thing like a nuclear reactor will suit the game.
Maybe something like a low-power-continuous-output RTG will fit better.

And I don't like the idea of requiring a lvl 20 builder.
I never got a lvl 20 builder trained. Only rolled.

Regret

This game has a purpose?

Shabazza

Well, I guess most players do not care too much about leaving the planet. ^^
They just want to see how long they can last against those Raiders.
But actually, yes, it has a purpose or a goal. XD

Keychan

With an long research chain and constant maintenance, it would be fair to put nuclear power as an endgame power source.  Powered by uranium, the reactor could be large or small.  It could require work that maintains 'stability' from pawns to upkeep it from it having a nuclear fallout.  Work speed based on construction or research, the work would be just the pawn tending to the reactor and increasing the stability. 

If the colony fails to upkeep the reactor or it gets destroyed, the reactor could, depending on size, create a nuclear fallout or make an area radiated with radiated slag. Like suggested earlier, research into hazmat suits would be good for removing the slag safely, but still leaving the area slightly radiated.

DoctorNick

Quote from: Shabazza on January 03, 2016, 03:51:29 PM
Hm. When thinking of the purpose of the game (get a ship asap to leave the planet),
I doubt that such a complex thing like a nuclear reactor will suit the game.

Upthread I stated my intention to write a longer post about the potential of nuclear power in RimWorld and I still intend to do that, but I have to pop in and address the above comment real fast.

RimWorld as it stands now has you take a tiny group of people... (!)

Who range from surgeons from super advanced sci-fi planets to cave dwelling tribals... (!!)

That can manage to refine raw materials, fabricate complex components and build advanced technology 'somehow'... (!!!)

Leading to them perhaps ultimately building a god damned starship with a slaved artificial intelligence powered by nothing less than a antimatter fueled reactor. (!!!!)

I know it's a game.

I know we have to abstract certain things.

I know that and because of that if you're going to be okay with something as utterly, totally, completely beyond-the-pale preposterous as "We built an antimatter powered starship, in a cave, from a box of scraps!" it really rings hollow to me to turn around and say that somehow them being able to build something that at it's most basic level is 1940's vintage technology is somehow 'Too Complicated.'

Not trying to be mean or hostile or anything...but really?
Hi everybody!