Should I bother bringing Industrial Rim back slowly?

Started by Cala13er, January 21, 2015, 04:45:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should I bother slowly bring Industrial rim back?

Yes
71 (92.2%)
No
4 (5.2%)
There is another mod that covers it (Link me to it)
2 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Azuchisamurai

hey cna i ask you for some help? im trying to make a mod that adds a recipe to the cooking stove to cook xerigium and cloth into medicine i got the recipe and the thingsdef sorted and far as i know it shouldnt need a workgiverdef but i can initiate the job and the colonists wont do it as if i did have a work giver def problem but i dont know how to do a workgiver for just a recipe

Cala13er

Quote from: Azuchisamurai on January 22, 2015, 04:47:21 PM
hey cna i ask you for some help? im trying to make a mod that adds a recipe to the cooking stove to cook xerigium and cloth into medicine i got the recipe and the thingsdef sorted and far as i know it shouldnt need a workgiverdef but i can initiate the job and the colonists wont do it as if i did have a work giver def problem but i dont know how to do a workgiver for just a recipe

Shove this in the help forum mate. Haven't modded rimworld for AGESSs. And have forgotten most of the xml part. So can't help you until I re-teach myself everything.

alonerhapsody

Yas

Since iRim gonna come back...

... may I suggest to make it modular from start on? (Sry, I do love modular mods, they are sooooooo handy).

As far as I understood, you will publish a part, and then add another one, and so on? So it would fit the process anyways.

And also consider the advantages in future with Alpha 10 when one part of the mod dont want to upgrade but you can release the 19 other ones yet :)

noone

Just to add my two cents, IRim was brilliant, and it'd be great to have it (or something alike) back. Its (temporary) disappearance led me to create the A2B system of conveyor belts, which has gone a long way since it first came out. I guess that may be one of the mod that covers a little aspect of the original IRim.

On that note, A2B has a good momentum at the moment. We recently went "faceless" to make sure the mod does't rely on a single person, but will hopefully outlast any one of us :-) Dare I suggest - very humbly - a possible interaction between A2B and IRim 2.0 ? If you decide to go for a modular approach, then A2B could be seen as a separate module. Once again, just a very humble suggestion. You may very well want to do things differently to A2B. But the A2B board might also be willing to do some things differently to match some of the IRim 2.0 requirements ...

Cala13er

Quote from: noone on February 24, 2015, 04:41:23 PM
--cut--

The conveyor belts were always the hardest part for me, I tried to do more than possible with them which was silly for me, and it was actually the main reason why Industrial Rim took so long to update, I was trying to create an extremely complex system that worked similar to factorio, which I almost achieved.

But yeah, I will have to recreate that whole system. As I designed Industrial Rim to be a stand-alone mod (not in the aspect that it worked without rimworld ;) but where it was used as the main mod). Not modular if you get me, and I planned on keeping it that way, when I publish the mod, which will be soon. Hopefully before Alpha 11, when enough updates are up that I can call it a feature heavy mod, I will do a poll on whether to make it modular. I want the users of the mod to decide what happens to Industrial Rim. Like I did before, polls for updates and features :) We'll see how it goes.

As for your conveyor belts, they're really nice, far superior and better than mine were or are probably going to be for a while. And I'm impressed, would love possible integration into IRim? Mainly due to the fact that of course, it's a standalone mod, I don't really go out of my way to make compatibility between my mod and others. It's not selfishness, more laziness. Sorry guys :/

Cala13er

Well, I'm returning and will be bringing Industrial Rim back to life just to see what I can do now, had a lot of practice.

TenSaidYes

This is quite possibly the coolest thing I've heard all day. I really loved Industrial Rim, so a resurrection is definitely very welcome!

Cala13er

Quote from: TenSaidYes on December 17, 2015, 03:49:51 PM
This is quite possibly the coolest thing I've heard all day. I really loved Industrial Rim, so a resurrection is definitely very welcome!

It's people like you that give modders motivation. :D