All I want for mods right now are three things.

Started by sonicwolf, December 13, 2015, 04:31:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonicwolf

1) MORE RUINS/RUINED CITY MAP BIOME
In the game I greatly enjoy the little treasure boxes of ruins with cryosleep caskets in them, and/or mechanoids, plus the whole, "you can't see a damn thing past this wall, break it down to find out," intrigues me in like every way, I want to see what's inside, so, I break the wall down, of course if there's a door I'll use the door because I'm not the Kool-Aid guy. Anyway I want a city map and/or an option in the 'advanced' section when you select your map where it allows you to pick the amount of ruins you want there to be, which can be ranging all the way up to Ludeonicrous if the modder who takes on this task wishes. Just that I think a lot of people would find it nice to control the amount of ruins in the place they're landing, for the people who hate ruins and for the ones who adore them.

2) COLONIST RELATIONSHIPS/REPRODUCTION
I'm pretty sure we've all though the same question at some point, "don't these people have any friends or do they have sex or something?" Okay maybe that's just me because I'm dirty minded but still, the question remains to be unanswered but what this mod would entail is maybe friendships, as in colonists getting a mood boost multiplier from talking to friends and/or making that colonist want to be near their friends in their down time, I know I wouldn't be cloud watching if my friends were like 30 feet away probably walking in circles because colonists are weird, as for reproduction, I think it makes sense to have 1 female and 1 male(apologies to LGT but it's physically impossible, for now at least) and match them up depending on their characteristics, for instance maybe somebody who's masochistic would like somebody who's bloodthirsty and likes to hurt people(ooo kinky), or two joggers might like to run with each other, then after a while of this pair bonding, they'll go into a two-person bed and.. do the horizontal conga, to sum it up. Then I guess the girl can be pregnant, just for practicality I would say a month of in-game time, but if you want to be realistic nine months can work too, but that would make reproduction a pain in the ass since game time passes slowly compared to most games.

3) COLONIST LEADER/COLONY FACTION TYPES
It's hard to think of yourselves as simply, "the colony," while everyone else is a junk town or a raider town or something like that, the point of a leader could be to further diplomatic actions between factions, inspire hope and morality in the hearts of colonists during rough times, combat, pre-combat, etc. A leader could talk to leaders of other factions in more depth, providing dialogue such as, call to war, apologize, call meeting, demand tribute, send/ask trade caravan(maybe for just generally setting up trade routes), and much more, colony factions type can possibly alter who joins your colony, who likes/hates your colony, (if you're vanilla)what items your colonists start with, and so on.

SO, THAT'S ALL I'VE GOT FOR NOW, how do you guys like it?
About half of this aren't original ideas I thought of myself, but just went into a little bit more detail, nonetheless they're good mod ideas in my opinion and I'd honestly rather they get either implemented into the game or created by a talented(or ambitious) modder.

Sveinbjorn

I agree fully with the rest, but relationships are bound to come eventually to the base game, and reproduction is a bit meh. Would you really want to raise children in a place where giant centipedes and raiders are king?

BBoulanger

Ya and it would take 15 years just for the kids to be able to work
There is no try only do

milon

1 - The Miscellaneous with MAI mod allows you to define ruins/dungeons/etc. Check it out!

2 - Colonist relations will be a thing in the next alpha.  I promise!  But no, I doubt it will include making babies.

LittleGreenStone

Quote from: BBoulanger on December 16, 2015, 04:35:17 PM

Depends how the mod is made.
Cleaning, hauling, growing, stuff even a 6 years old can do.
It could be an expensive "joy activity", raising a kid, instead of a means to get more colonists.
It's entirely viable, and I'm disappointed it still isn't a thing.

Toggle

Remember, we can screw up harvesting and fail it. So I doubt you'll want your six year old planting or harvesting plants, they'll do like 2 things then wander off. They'd be of little help.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Sergeant Cynical

TenSaidYes

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on December 17, 2015, 02:17:27 PM
Remember, we can screw up harvesting and fail it. So I doubt you'll want your six year old planting or harvesting plants, they'll do like 2 things then wander off. They'd be of little help.

Anyone who has any experience with living in a rural area will tell you: Children routinely help out around the farm. Yes, even "young" children. When you're born into a family that farms, you learn how to farm as a kid. It might start off as 'feed the chickens and collect the eggs' or 'muck out the stables', but by eight or nine you'd better bet your butt you're going to be out in the field proper. The entire reason farmers tend to have large families is because they need the bodies to tend the land. They're not going to wait fifteen years to put them to work. They probably won't even wait 15 years to let them drive the tractor, and Rimworld doesn't have any tractors to be worrying about.

Farming is a way of life. Especially when you're farming to keep your family fed. There are no 'idle bodies' on a frontier ranch... and the Sci-Fi Frontier Survival experience is basically the whole point of playing RimWorld.

Claiming that somehow, because it's a task that can be failed, children shouldn't be doing it is really a very lazy excuse.

My colonies last virtually indefinitely these days, rather than the couple of months typical a few alphas ago. Sometimes a month or two or four goes by without a disaster. Frankly, it's absurd that I have to keep waiting for some random passer-by to get bashed over the head and arrested in order to keep growing my settlement out.

Quote from: Sveinbjorn on December 16, 2015, 04:13:40 PM
Would you really want to raise children in a place where giant centipedes and raiders are king?

This place is HOME now for them, and yes... that means they really would be raising their children in this bizarre and messed-up world. That's life. It springs up even under in the most hostile, unpleasant conditions.

If the mentality were widely prevalent that we just shouldn't breed in places where bad things might happen, humanity would have gone extinct after the first generation.

BBoulanger

Quote from: LittleGreenStone on December 17, 2015, 12:44:58 PM

Depends how the mod is made.
Cleaning, hauling, growing, stuff even a 6 years old can do.
It could be an expensive "joy activity", raising a kid, instead of a means to get more colonists.
It's entirely viable, and I'm disappointed it still isn't a thing.
Ya I see where you're coming from children can do only basic activities
There is no try only do

LittleGreenStone

Quote from: TenSaidYes on December 17, 2015, 03:41:47 PM

This place is HOME now for them, and yes... that means they really would be raising their children in this bizarre and messed-up world. That's life. It springs up even under in the most hostile, unpleasant conditions.

If the mentality were widely prevalent that we just shouldn't breed in places where bad things might happen, humanity would have gone extinct after the first generation.

My thoughts exactly, the colony is their home, children isn't a rarity in homes, and housework kids do isn't called "child labor" for a reason. It's entirely viable.

And yes, instead of 2 or even 5 mature growers, I'd like twice that, because even if they fail more often, they will get experience, and they will be able to tend to a larger field, increasing the total income.

Besides; hauling, even if not full stacks,
cleaning, always a pain especially in larger colonies,
these two jobs take up about 75% of my colonists' time starting the 3rd year, but often sooner.
Even if not as growers, little colonists running around would be plenty useful to me.

sonicwolf

Well I'm not saying it HAS to take that long, maybe child maturity can be a faster process just like with what I suggested with pregnancy, I mean nobody's going to wait that long in-game or otherwise for a virtual child(I hope), but what I'm saying is, maybe a kid's childhood could go from infant to little kid to pre-teen to 15 year old average colonist, except all of those phases can work within the timespan of a year, maybe even less than so, also I was thinking little kid and pre-teen could be like animals with advanced training(except a little smarter) skill. Well. Without the whole running at danger and punching it in the throat thing.

RoboticManiac

I'm on board with the child idea. Personally speaking, I don't run my colonies for efficiency's sake, but rather the story. And if one fears they won't do anything of use, save eat food, they could (depending on age) do some basic work, like cleaning or farming (How hard could it be  :P).

But I find the ruins idea to be far more conceivable in the short term. The idea of fighting off raiders in a ruined city block by block sounds like real fun. I think the best challenge here would come from trying to find arable land and trying to set up good defensive positions.

TenSaidYes

Quote from: RoboticManiac on December 21, 2015, 11:05:09 PM
I'm on board with the child idea. Personally speaking, I don't run my colonies for efficiency's sake, but rather the story. And if one fears they won't do anything of use, save eat food, they could (depending on age) do some basic work, like cleaning or farming (How hard could it be  :P).

But I find the ruins idea to be far more conceivable in the short term. The idea of fighting off raiders in a ruined city block by block sounds like real fun. I think the best challenge here would come from trying to find arable land and trying to set up good defensive positions.

Interestingly, having played around some with the devmode controls, I've determined that the game doesn't implode when a colonist becomes pregnant. I couldn't manage to keep the colony alive long enough to find out if the colonist would then spawn a new pawn at the end of the 90 human gestation period thanks to a mechanoid invasion, but it seems to me that the challenge of implementing such a system lies not in the technicality, but in doing it adequately.

As it stands, the pawn you get if you use the command to make a colonist give birth is completely random (backstory included) and unrelated in any way to the one that spawned it... but how hard could it be to have any child birthed by a colonist given that colonist's surname and some kind of 'Rimworld kid' childhood backstory?

Now, with that out of my system for tonight, I'd like to say that I really do like the idea of proper ruined settlements and cities... although with the limited size of maps I can see why that might not be at the top of most peoples' lists. Ruins already take up quite a lot of real estate, but they're really mostly useless as it stands. The exception of course is the Ancient Danger chambers... but those are really the only thing to get excited about when checking out a new world.

sonicwolf

Quote from: TenSaidYes on December 22, 2015, 02:25:36 AM
Quote from: RoboticManiac on December 21, 2015, 11:05:09 PM

Interestingly, having played around some with the devmode controls, I've determined that the game doesn't implode when a colonist becomes pregnant. I couldn't manage to keep the colony alive long enough to find out if the colonist would then spawn a new pawn at the end of the 90 human gestation period thanks to a mechanoid invasion, but it seems to me that the challenge of implementing such a system lies not in the technicality, but in doing it adequately.

As it stands, the pawn you get if you use the command to make a colonist give birth is completely random (backstory included) and unrelated in any way to the one that spawned it... but how hard could it be to have any child birthed by a colonist given that colonist's surname and some kind of 'Rimworld kid' childhood backstory?

Now, with that out of my system for tonight, I'd like to say that I really do like the idea of proper ruined settlements and cities... although with the limited size of maps I can see why that might not be at the top of most peoples' lists. Ruins already take up quite a lot of real estate, but they're really mostly useless as it stands. The exception of course is the Ancient Danger chambers... but those are really the only thing to get excited about when checking out a new world.
Precisely what I mean when I say ruins, I mean the Ancient Danger chambers, but in a different way, the city could be inhabited by raiders, there could be a hospital with medical beds, maybe a bomb shelter or something that's absolutely filled with cryo caskets, it makes ruins exciting to go into, as well as adding some variety to what might be inside.

As for the childhood background maybe while that pawn is in their childhood stage whatever happens to them could affect their backstory outcome, either that or they could just have the Colony Kid backstory, which could give +1 or +2 to all stats and not restrict the pawn from doing anything.