Heating and cooling an underground base (RedistHeat and such)

Started by OSMC, December 13, 2015, 04:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OSMC

I have an underground bunker using a modified version of the gent's modpack. I have sort of figured out how to use the ducts and such, but I can't manage to keep my colonists warm. I have several industrial heaters in a room set to 160 and intake vents all around them and outputs in each room, but the heat does not transfer. The rooms deeper in the mountain are around 30 degrees when the outside is at 60. Am I doing something wrong?

Coenmcj

Because your vents aren't all connected up from the heaters to your room you need heating.
Check the photo for example

Edit : Same is happening in your battery room, infact, alot of your pipe network is disjointed.

[attachment deleted due to age]
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

OSMC

that I saw and had fixed, but still the temperature in the heat room fluctuated wildly and the net temperature of the ducts stayed at around 40

rditto48801

It's been a little while since I have played Rimworld, but I have a few stray ideas for troubleshooting since I have used RedistHeat before.

How many input vents do you have in the heater room?
Are they the powered fan type? Regular vents likely won't have enough capacity. (I would go with 4-6 powered fans/vents myself in the heater room)
Are any of the vents blocked/obstructed by something that prevents it from affecting the interior space they are facing into?
Are the output vents open/working when you click on them? What temp are they set to maintain?
Have you double checked to make sure you haven't accidentally built the wrong type of vent in one or more rooms?
Are any of the rooms with output vents marked as being anything other than 'inside' by any chance?
Always (less than) eager to stockpile 3 metric tons of steel to replicate a useful gun.

Dr. Watson. Proving that being wrong is one step closer to being right.

OSMC

The only kind of vents i see are intakes, smart vents, and outputs. They say they are working and every room that there is  a vent  is indoors the smart ones are all set to 70, there are 6 inputs and 5 smart outputs.
Thanks for the help

LittleGreenStone

You're doing it wrong...

Do yourself a favor and deconstruct it all,
and build a few regular heaters in rooms you want to heat up.

There is little to no reason to use duct pipes to heat up your base. It requires more power, it takes more resources and time to build, and it's not as efficient, even if done perfectly. And yours is a far cry from perfection, I see over a dozen mistakes, pipes disconnected from one another.

It's mostly useful when you want to cool rooms down, diverting the heat coolers generate outside your base, instead of boiling everything in the adjacent rooms.

I'm not kidding, deconstruct it all and build a few regular heaters. It's simple, cheaper, more reliable, more efficient and it'll heat up rooms faster.

OSMC

Okay... They need a buff or something then, because I would love to be more civilized and have central heating

LittleGreenStone

Quote from: OSMC on December 16, 2015, 02:44:36 PM
more civilized

There's nothing more civilized than achieving maximum efficiency. Even if the method seems "barbaric".
Sometimes central heating just isn't the thing you need.

Also, "Central heating". Sometimes it's better to put a single (yes, a single) industrial heater in your big(gest) room, and use simple vents (not pipes, just vents equalizing the temperature between two rooms) to heat the adjacent rooms.

Here? I (too) have trouble heating up (or cooling down) rooms by venting air from one room to the others using intakes and outlets. Temperature inside the room keeps bouncing up and down, heaters and outlets (maybe intakes too? Don't remember) sapping the power, without me achieving much.

The pipes, however, are very useful to;
-vent excess heat elsewhere or outside (emphasis on 'excess')
-cool down rooms using the...forgot its name (looked it up, "duct cooler" is the name), the thing that cools the pipe network directly.
Building coolers using that thing, and connecting them to smart outlets via pipelines works perfectly.

IF we had a similar heater, that heats up the pipe network directly (can it do that? Actually, I've never tried it can't), then central heating would be a viable option. That's pretty much how central heating works to anyway, not by heating up whole rooms to then vent the heat...

RickyMartini

It's bad enough that the temperature distribution system in the core game is already broken and way to buggy, but I have trouble keeping my base stable even with this mod.

Fluffy (l2032)

I tend to just get my corridor (usually have one massive corridor branching through the entire (mountain) base) to the temperature I want, and build vents to all the rooms that should be kept a comfortable temperature. At the start of the game I draw cold from the freezer with smart vents, later on one or more dedicated hot/cold rooms directly linked to the hallway. Works fine, and much simpler than a duct network. Even tho I absolutely love the idea of airco in the game, fiddling with multiple networks on outlets specific to each is just too annoying for me to set up. Particularly because by the time I want/need/can afford such a system, my base will be fairly huge.