Neurotrainer brain damage repair.

Started by zlongshark, December 14, 2015, 10:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zlongshark

I see this is discussed so much in the forums "How do i fixed my colonist mixing frontal cortex that was blasted out of his head by a rocket launcher?"

I really think its reasonable that brain repair technology exists in game when there is other technologies like neurotrainers. Just insert the nanoprobes into the brain and let them repair the damaged tissue.. "It's not rocket science" ahah
"Who would have guessed you could order beer in the outer rim of the galaxy"

Regret

That would take the risk out of headshots.
Easier game, but less fun.

JimmyAgnt007

IIRC Tynan has stated he wants some things to be persistent.  A lasting punishment for failing to protect someone.  As in he doesnt want people to blow past brain damage as a minor issue that gets fixed soon enough.

As a compromise though id suggest treating it like a disease.  Combination of glitterworld meds and Neurotrainer treatments to get the person back to something closer to normal.  Make it a long term effort. 

Grimandevil

if u fancy using prosthetic's mod, there are some brain implants that 'cure' brain damage.
welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.

zlongshark

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on December 15, 2015, 09:12:05 AM
IIRC Tynan has stated he wants some things to be persistent.  A lasting punishment for failing to protect someone.  As in he doesnt want people to blow past brain damage as a minor issue that gets fixed soon enough.

As a compromise though id suggest treating it like a disease.  Combination of glitterworld meds and Neurotrainer treatments to get the person back to something closer to normal.  Make it a long term effort.

Yeah that is a good point, i enjoy how the game punishes you for risky mistakes, I have to watch my colonist hobble around eating daylilies. As you mentioned it would be good to have something to slightly improve the situation even if i cost 10K silver.

Kajin

Could always make it so that you lose something when you gain back functionality from the brain implants. Maybe you'll get permanent changes to skills and personality? Ones that debilitate the character in some way but not to the point where they spend the whole damn day walking from their bedroom to the dining room.

JimmyAgnt007

maybe a mobility assist implant that speeds up the walking speed of the brain damaged.  but make them unable to learn any new skills or only capable of dumb labor or they can only do their top 3 skills.  I think the thing we hate the most is the slowness of them.   

Regret

I'm thinking cyborg-slavery as a possible mechanic.
Install cyborgenslavement chip in brain. After that all skills lost except a handful.
Or maybe just a cap on skill level?
Either way the cyborg drone can still do dumb labor and can still use certain skills but at a much lower cap, let's say 8.
No research, obviously.

If you want to give players an incentive to be even more horrible:
- Let it force all skills up to 8.
- Make the chip craftable.
- Allow the chip to be installed in prisoners.

Seeing a cyborg slave would have a large negative mood-buff.

That would create some interesting choices, though it may make this game even more of a sociopath training course.

zlongshark

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on December 16, 2015, 09:32:29 AM
maybe a mobility assist implant that speeds up the walking speed of the brain damaged.  but make them unable to learn any new skills or only capable of dumb labor or they can only do their top 3 skills.  I think the thing we hate the most is the slowness of them.

The slowness is something else! Why cant we remove the mechinoid artificial brain and install that ahah

JimmyAgnt007

Quote from: zlongshark on December 16, 2015, 06:33:33 PM
The slowness is something else! Why cant we remove the mechinoid artificial brain and install that ahah

That would be awesome!  A human with a mechanoid brain, throw the loyalty switch. 

cultist

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on December 17, 2015, 01:20:20 PM
That would be awesome!  A human with a mechanoid brain, throw the loyalty switch.

Yes, let's put the brain of the murderous steel-monster from the sky into the body of the tribal we shot up and have kept in a dirty cell, feeding him remains of his friends and family.

I mean, what could go wrong?

Klitri

I don't like this idea on its own, I think few severe injuries should be curable in an easy one swoop action.

I think if anything pawns in Rimworld should be 100% fixable, but after an extremely long and extensive research branch of medicine and anatomy. It should require the best of the best technology to cure, and a neurotrainer doesn't really fit that bill. It's too convenient, and how would Nanobots repair brain cells anyway?

JimmyAgnt007

Nanobots are about the only thing that could repair brain tissue.  Im sure there are a lot of wiki pages full of the specifics but they are little machines that could lay down new neural connections and even replace missing tissue with themselves. 

Xom

It'd make sense that nanobots would repair damage, but even if fixed it would cause some memory loss, perhaps losing some skill levels and XP while regaining functionality.

Scars are an interesting mechanic and they add flavour but it's downright unrealistic and unfun for EVERY scar to leave permanent pain and debility. If a colonist has three old gunshots from being in half a dozen firefights what does it say to his enemies? In Rimworld it says  that the penalties those scars instil completely overshadow the one level of weapon skill that colonist earned from all that combat, so they can take 'im. I'm not against debilitating wounds but it would be nice to be able to let the characters adapt and grow thanks to the damage they take. If they had to deal with a lot of pain, some pain resistance should develop. If they had to deal with a lot of hardship some stability would be nice. Otherwise characters just lose value along with pieces of themselves as if they are machines.

Reviire

Related to fixing the problem, but not the suggested fix. Turning brain damaged colonists into machine-powered slaves, the body just existing as a structure to be controlled. Idk, if it's off topic i'll delete the post.

Quote from: Gizogin on March 16, 2012, 11:59:01 PM
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums.