Alpha Animals (aka Vanilla Friendly Animals)

Started by A Friend, December 15, 2015, 11:00:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you want an early release? We can do that if wanted, but the animals won't have the special abilities (Like projectile attacks) that was planned for them.

Release it early, I'd like some variety now. This human leather chair that I sit on cannot hold my patience any longer.
6 (37.5%)
Heck no. Why wouldn't you want to see the Gallatross throw nuke rocks!? That's heresy!
10 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: February 10, 2016, 06:48:44 AM

LittleGreenStone

Quote from: A Friend on December 16, 2015, 10:24:27 PM
I'm not really aware of what it officially means but I meant that it looks like it could be something that you can find in game without it feeling weirdly out of place. Tynan and crew already seems to have the normal animals covered, so I'm focusing more on the It's-3000-Years-Into-The-Future-Why-Shouldn't-We-Be-Finding-Walking-Cactuses?-Type of animals.

Anyways, I already garnered some ideas for new animals. Though I may decide to drop ideas if I find their designs somewhat extremely hard to do.
- Bouldermit (A hermit crab with a boulder for a shell.)
- Devilsheep (I remember there was a suggestion thread for sheeps to be included.)
- Cactipine (A porcupine and cactus hybrid, credits to Skullywag for the idea and Shinzy for the name)
- Gallatross (Probably another legendary animal like the Thrumbo, no designs yet, just the *cool name.)
- Tetrafex (Or something with Tetra, I like the word. Like the above probably going to be a legendary animal, still just a name though.)

Earlier, I was looking up my old SPORE folder for some ideas and... other than the somewhat cool names like the Gallatross and Tetrafex, I'm gonna look for designs elsewhere. *shudder

First of all, I apologize for the sh*tstorm in the thread. Maybe I didn't like Global Moderator's attitude (at first) explaining it, he was right about...what he was trying to make us realize, I guess, even if he didn't explicitly say it...
I could've settle it via private messages or just leave it at that, but I didn't.
My apologies for that.

Quote from: A Friend on December 16, 2015, 10:24:27 PM"I'm not really aware of what it officially means but I meant that it looks like it could be something that you can find in game without it feeling weirdly out of place"
Like the dragons from a mod that add dragons? I see, it makes sense.
IMO you've achieved that perfectly.

"I'm focusing more on the It's-3000-Years-Into-The-Future-Why-Shouldn't-We-Be-Finding-Walking-Cactuses?-Type of animals."

True that. At first only the boomrat had an out-of-this-world feature, with the habit of going down in a ball of fire, but Boomalopes and especially Thrumbros (orwhat) sure look weird, even if based on real animals. I love the sense of variety that walking cacti gives.
Although that Hydralisk/Ravener feels strangely familiar, that does the trick too.

Anyways, I already garnered some ideas for new animals. Though I may decide to drop ideas if I find their designs somewhat extremely hard to do.
I can only suggest what you've been doing so far; keep it simple. Since creatures aren't animated, them having detailed, full-size limbs, especially legs, would make any creature look weirdly out-of-place.
Like those dragons I mentioned.

Anyway, as long as it's a blob, drawn in rimworld style, I think it'll be fine.
In the end, Rimworld's universe includes cavemen, industrial planets, glitter worlds, hive worlds, full fledged artificial intelligence, spacefaring technology, sci-fi weapons, bionics, genetic engineering andas I said, some strange creatures too, all that in the vanilla game.
I don't think you could make an out-of-place creature, only an out-of-place texture of a creature.

I like the idea of the Bouldermit, maybe I'm mistaken but did you perhaps think about something along the lines of a "mimic", a "trap" that looks like an object but isn't?
It would be funny (although quite a pain) if my haulers were to be randomly attacked by "rock chunks" while doing their job.
Although I suppose it wouldn't really be simple to make it happen.

"- Tetrafex (Or something with Tetra, I like the word."
"tetra" gives the sense there's four of something. Regular limbs wouldn't too original, but heads, tails, horns, it'd give a meaning behind the creature's name if it had four of something, something that makes this creature unique.
It'd be a good name if that was true.

Also...
You said you are...lacking imagination for creatures at the moment.
I would/could give you sketches, general ideas of creatures I have in mind, in a style that of 5 years olds', but I feel it would be rude, me telling you what and how to do.
If, however, you're interested in it, I'd be willing to give it a shot.

A Friend

Hmm, thinking about it. I'm not really lacking in imagination. The problem is that they rely mostly on details (Specifically legs. LONG LEGS). Something the art style discourages. Simplifying these creatures results in a similar silhouette to what I already made, making them less unique.

I think the right phrase is that I'm lacking ideas in shapes to work with. I don't know if that sentence is correct. Bleh. But sure! Feel free to message me drawings, I might get some ideas from it.

Edit: Or maybe the correct phrase is: I'm having trouble making it look simple but distinct. Eugh, I can't relay my thoughts correctly what is happening
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

A Friend

My internet is being wonky, disabling me from playing online vidya gaems. So I started making animal textures again in the meantime. Here's a rock with crab claws.

Bouldermit

Still taking ideas and descriptions. Specifically for the scorpion one. Drawing blanks there.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

NoImageAvailable

Your spider is missing a pair of appendages, just sayin'

Also "A cactus genetically modified to give it life." seems rather silly considering plants are already alive, might want to change that to "give it sentience" or some such.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

A Friend

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on December 24, 2015, 09:29:24 AM
Your spider is missing a pair of appendages, just sayin'

The important thing is that it looks like a spider. Going by Rimworld logic, it shouldn't even have legs! It would be something like this:

Though truthfully, I tried experimenting with how the legs where placed and it looked pretty bad compared to what I have now. Let's just say it's a minor effect of genetic engineering.

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on December 24, 2015, 09:29:24 AM
Also "A cactus genetically modified to give it life." seems rather silly considering plants are already alive, might want to change that to "give it sentience" or some such.

Noted. Plant lives matter.

A Friend

milon

Fun idea for the Bouldermit: never really gets aggressive on its own (pray they doesn't go psycho though!), but does passive crush (blunt) damage to everything as it moves.  Not sure how to mod that aspect, but where there's a will there's a way!

A Friend

Quote from: milon on December 29, 2015, 06:53:10 AM
Fun idea for the Bouldermit: never really gets aggressive on its own (pray they doesn't go psycho though!), but does passive crush (blunt) damage to everything as it moves.  Not sure how to mod that aspect, but where there's a will there's a way!

Anything it moves on?
I see this making someone who made an unprotected field of solar panels cry. Let's add it.

Edit:
Also, I've been trying to find ways to reduce/remove the Needlepost's legs. After many failed attempts, I found a pretty neat balance of it having no legs and not looking like a walking pickle or a lewd object.

mrofa

All i do is clutter all around.

A Friend

How do you guys feel about short-range mortar-sized explosive attacks?

Gallatross

Alistaire

I tried adding something similar to a bouldermit but they would spawn from an event that would only trigger when there were rocks laying
around outside of stockpiles. Would remove the rock and spawn the creature much like Gnomoria's golems. Maybe you want to incorporate
that, just an idea.

Toggle

Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

A Friend

Quote from: Alistaire on December 30, 2015, 04:43:30 AM
I tried adding something similar to a bouldermit but they would spawn from an event that would only trigger when there were rocks laying
around outside of stockpiles. Would remove the rock and spawn the creature much like Gnomoria's golems. Maybe you want to incorporate
that, just an idea.

I could see it affecting chunks that are in your stockpile instead. The event could spawn a number of hungry little bouldermits that are pretty harmless but will feed on your crops and meals when given the chance. Some kind of nuisance event. But coupled with milon's passive crush idea, it would be like sabotage. I like it. But no guarantees!

Anyways, another addition to arid shrublands and probably deserts too.

Cactipine

Edit: I added this edit caution.
+ new names and ideas!

- Razorjacks, a pack of warg-like creatures that shoot 3 burst projectiles at you. Probably gonna be for forest biomes.
- Lockjaws, looks like a giant lobster claw that grew legs. Probably gonna be for jungle biomes.

skullywag

just adding a "i friggin love all these". Keep going. If you need modding help, just yell.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Toggle

Yeah I'm pretty sure any modder would be willing to help you if ya need it, your animals are amazing.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.