Alpha Animals (aka Vanilla Friendly Animals)

Started by A Friend, December 15, 2015, 11:00:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you want an early release? We can do that if wanted, but the animals won't have the special abilities (Like projectile attacks) that was planned for them.

Release it early, I'd like some variety now. This human leather chair that I sit on cannot hold my patience any longer.
6 (37.5%)
Heck no. Why wouldn't you want to see the Gallatross throw nuke rocks!? That's heresy!
10 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: February 10, 2016, 06:48:44 AM

A Friend

Hello, I draw stuff. Skullywag mostly codes them into a mod. And Milon helped out on the initial batch along with the sound effects before he became busy with RL stuff.

What I want to do here is to give a bit more life to the sci-fi side of Rimworld by adding mutant, hybrid, special variants, or just plain alien-like fauna into the game. Along with the intent of having each animal bring something unique to the table like the boomrats and boomalopes. Whether it be walking tanks, living resource farm, indestructible plant monsters, night time stalkers, or plain speedy giant spiders.

Some of these are still a WIP ok and may be subject to changes in the future.

Batch 1

Arctic Lion for Ice sheets and Tundras

These large descendants of the now extinct lion were specifically engineered as ambush units by the navy for extreme low temp environments. Its fur is prized throughout the black market for its unique light reflecting ability and its tough leather provides surprisingly high thermal insulation.
Even though its danger and capabilities are common knowledge; many still attempt to bag its head. Those who try usually end up losing theirs.

Frostmite for Ice sheets and Tundras

A large parasite usually found in cold places. They sweep the cold barren lands in search of corpses buried in the snow. Eating the preserved flesh and leaving a ravaged skeleton in its place; devoid of their former identity.

Feralisk for Boreal Forests

Someone once thought that creating supersized spiders for silk production was a good idea. Their home planet is now reduced to a Marble World; a world wiped clean by atomic fire.

Groundrunner
for Temperate Forests

A hybrid between a bear and mole, Groundrunners originally came from Cave Worlds. They were used as walking heavy tools by the locals when they hit parts that plasteel can't break, and for hauling large boulders that their owners can't lift.
Due to their domesticated origins, they are surprisingly docile and easy to tame. Their incredible strength and sharp claws allows them to break rocks with relative ease. But out here in the Rim, those claws are usually reserved for ripping power armors apart along with their wearers.

Mammoth Worm
for Arid Biomes

An extremely large, genetically-engineered worm. Despite its incredibly intimidating size and arsenal, these huge creatures are rather quite peaceful. It was once part of the worker caste of an artificial ecosystem of insectoids designed to fight mechanoid invasions. It carried and moved things that its little cousins cannot.
While generally peaceful, if provoked, it becomes a terrifying force that can rival those of mechanoid Centipedes.

Raptor Shrimp for Tropical Rainforests

A large genetically modified creature, its origins unknown. They are known to make homes in tropical regions. Instilling fear among the local inhabitants as those who pass through its territory are often reported to go missing; their bodies never found.
The few that survived an encounter with these monsters report bullets being shrugged off, limbs of their companions being torn apart, and the statement "The grass has eyes."

Needlepost for Desert Biomes

A cactus genetically modified to give it sentience. The first iteration of this creature was supposed to be a stationary tactical deterrent (the Whip Cactus).  But having no intelligence or mobility crippled its effectiveness. With a little genetic engineering, it was given a mobile body, an infantile intelligence, and toxic barbs for good measure. The result backfired as commands proved ineffective. The facility was promptly overrun by the experiments; and a horde of angry cactuses escaped into the wilderness.

Barbslinger for Desert Biomes

A large genetically-modified scorpion. Unrelated to the insectoid species, no one really knows where they came from. But judging by its capability to rip apart living things within reach and shish kebab those outside of it; it's no stranger to combat.

Batch 2

Bouldermit for All biomes

A large genetically-engineered crab which uses a boulder for a shell. It is alternatively known as the Atlas Crab throughout various colonized planets. These massive creatures sport incredible strength and are commonly seen carrying giant boulders that would normally crush living things and machinery alike. Legends tell of one such creature that has grown so large and so powerful that it had entire mountains for a home.
Despite first impressions, it is quite peaceful. Preferring to ignore any form of assault it may receive. Its predators are more likely to die of old age than to take down such an armored creature.

Devilsheep sold by Traders
Male

Female

A genetically engineered sheep capable of producing extremely strong and valuable red wool. Some see a simple livestock; others, a demonic entity of corruption. Don't listen to its whispers.

Gallatross (Legendary) for All biomes

Throughout every world,
Flow the tale of old,
A creature with untold might
And an immeasurable height.
Strength that machines can't copy
Power that so-called gods call heresy.
Beware, beware would-be foes
Beware, the wrath of the Gallatross.

Cactipine for Arid Biomes and Desert Biomes

In an effort to make deserts more viable for colonization, scientists introduced a variety of genetically modified creatures that are made to survive the melting heat and provide food to those who wished to live in such harsh conditions. One such creature is the Cactipine. Despite its name, it is actually a giant rat infused with the DNA of a cactus. It resulted in the specimen gaining sharp medicinal quills, hardened green skin, and a funny tasting "meat" that confused vegetarians and carnivores alike.

Tetraslug (Legendary) for All biomes

These massive slugs are a common sight among Glitterworld controlled territories; Lumbering about as glorified power plants. Outside of it, they are deployed as a mobile power source for Glitterworld research expeditions.
It is rare to see one without the iconic power cores that protrude from their backs. As their unique bodily chemical composition are capable of outputting power that far surpasses any known natural sources. Thus they are widely valued by every technologically developing civilization throughout the galaxy.
While a gentle giant that would prefer to run away instead of fight, modified slugs come armored with plasteel shells, quad cores that can act as Tesla cannons, and a Tactical AI inserted within the brain that takes over and makes no hesitation to use all of its armament to obliterate any perceived threat within vicinity.

Megalouse for Boreal Forests and Temperate Forests

A large genetically engineered pillbug. These creatures once served as the frontline skirmishers of an insectoid hive; A collection of genetically modified insects made as a weapon against Mechanoid invasions. Their job consisted of reducing lone Mechanoid infantry to swiss cheese; And they were good at it. Even the mighty Centipede was no match against the swarm of spikes.
Nowadays, they can be found roaming in packs that's a joke compared to their former numbers and with killer instincts that waits to be reawakened once more.

Lockjaw for Tropical Rainforests

A very large animal native to this planet's tropical regions. Nicknamed Lockjaws for their incredibly strong bite force, the giants can separate limb from body with little effort.
But despite having a guillotine for a mouth, it does not seem to be an aggressive creature; Preferring to prey on the local wildlife rather than the local populace.

Nightling for Boreal Forests, Temperate Forests and Arid Biomes

A large deformed beast with rows of quills on its back.
But during these past few decades, disturbing reports of ravaged corpses peppered with black javelins started to increase in alarming numbers. With entire caravans slaughtered in ways worse than any pirate group could possibly accomplish. People started to fear the dark and the cackling horrors waiting within them.

Batch 3

Meadow Ave for Temperate Forests

http://imgur.com/a/2ns1m - Rainbow Collection

A large flightless bird with colorful feathers. Mostly found in the plains eating fruits and berries, Meadow Aves naturally attract the eyes and hands of those who wander by. Many forget that underneath the majestic feathery coat is a wild animal with a razor sharp beak and claws to match.

Aerofleet for Temperate Forests and Boreal Forests

A small floating gelatinous creature. Propelled by the hydrogen it collects from water and various plant matter; these squishy creatures wander the lands, aimlessly bouncing off objects in its path.
One of the few rare creatures around here that is strangely isn't out for human blood. Well, isn't that nice?

Blizzarisk for Tundras

None yet - Giant fuzzy snow spiders that will bite eat your face

Ironhusk Beetles sold by Traders

None yet - Peaceful and bulky "farm" animal that occasionally sheds steel plates that you can use. Eats only wood.

Wildpods for Boreal Forests

None yet - Giant mushroom cyclops that's highly resistant to bullets but dies "quickly" to fire damage. Get flamethrower mods while they're hot.

Vanilla Redesigns
Megascarab

Spelopede

Megaspider

That's kind of it for now
Post your ideas, suggestions, and thoughts whether if I should trim the legs further below!
Oh and specify which biome(s)

Release thread and Download Link:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=26549.0

Planned:

* A redo of some of the batch 1 animals. (Particularly the Raptor Shrimp and Scorpion.)
* Add unique skeletons for each animals. Particularly the bigger ones.
* Thermadons (Big insectoid bugs that shoot firebombs at you. Probs gonna be for Tundra biomes)
* Slurrypedes (Some kind of Mechanoid livestock that eats anything organic, then you can milk it for nutrient paste. Sold by Traders.)
* Alphas (Giant insectoid that can fire a barrage of fire bombs, imagine a Centipede with an inferno cannon, but bigger and shoots in bursts of 4.)
* Great Devourers (Some legendary dune worm insectoid that can 1 hit kill almost anything but rewards you with tons of plasteel, gold, jade and other valuables when you kill it. For extreme deserts only.)
* Wolfspiders (Fast insectoid ants that act like manhunter packs.)
* Do enough of these insectoid thingies to create a varied raid event of them.
* Add to the rimworld lore via descriptions.
* Some kind of electric ram that causes electric damage and stun pawns they hit.
* An animal that sets you on fire when it melees you.
* Bedbug (A tiny insect that injects tranquilizers on its enemies. Sleep tight, you've let the bedbugs bite.)
* Animus Vox (Very rare psionic fox that gives massive buffs on "snuggles")
* Arid shrubland equivalent of the Arctic Lion.
* Mini variants of the Needlepost, Wildpod, and Bouldermit.
  Needlerolls, Wildpawns and Pebblemits respectively.
* Aerofleet variants that explode firefoam, flames, or just plain stuns things
* Unique drops for the more extreme and elite animals so there's at least some incentive to try hunting them (then failing miserably as your face is ripped off by a giant spider.)

* find the motivation to draw again

Note that some ideas may be changed or removed entirely if I don't think it fits.

Change log

12/11/16
- Terramorph redesign, also renamed to Mammoth Worm
- Needlepost recolor

11/26/16
- Raptor Shrimp redesign
- Minor desc. edits to the Barbslinger and Needlepost

11/5/16
- Barbslinger redesign.
- Added Devilsheep description.
- Description edits.

11/4/2016
- Plans!

10/16/16
- Megaspider redesign.
- Cleaned up the thread to be more info-ey. (Also to make it look cooler, I like looking cool... like I'm in an ice cube suit.)

10/2/16
- Spelopede redesign

10/1/16
- Megascarab redesign.

9/24/16
- Wildpods

5/9/16
- Ironhusk added.

5/8/16
- Blizzarisk added.

4/15/2016
- Minor change in Megalouse description.

4/14/16
- Added an imgur link for the Meadow Ave variants.
- Aerofleet description added.
- Meadow Ave description added

4/11/216
- Minor changes to Feralisk textures.

4/8/16
- Aerofleet added.

3/12/2016
- Batch 3 started
- Meadow Ave added

3/7/2016
- Nightling desc. added
- Planned Section
- Small changes to Barbslinger desc.

2/5/2016
- Less clutter
- Poll edits

Note that this change log only applies to this thread and not really to the progress of the mod itself.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Melaquidez

I love this idea <3
The variety and the appearance of this creatures it's so lovely
I distinguish three main scenarios:

-A planet devastated by the atomic fire with mutant insects
-An arctic planet with extreme temperatures and furry creatures like immense bears or wolves
-Some sort of desert planet with a variety of underground creatures

Toggle

Just a note... These are all friggin amazing. And below is my idea's for the 3 creatures you've yet to write a story for. I can come up with some idea's, but they may need rewording.

Raptor Shrimp. A genetically modified creature, it's origins unknown. They're known to be used for battle with their fearsome Pincers and armored body. While not the best match against ranged, they trump most melee combat. With large lifespans, they roam whatever worlds they're left on, outlasting any colony that tames them.

The Needlepost. An interesting creature, a cactus genetically modified to give it life. The Needleposts were created for a tougher, flexible cactus that could be eaten and used for armour. These creatures have limited combat ability, but their needles contain unknown toxins, which can be harvested.
|                                                                   |                                                                     |     
So, the needlepost combat, I felt like explaining that a bit. The snake bite in Rimworld has xml to create toxic buildup on enemies when bitten. I feel like the needlepost would have limited combat options, so having it use a similar xml sort to poison enemies would be useful. That can be harvested for weapons, say bows, that do the same. You could also decide to make it go the other way, the toxins do not effect enemies but when harvested could be used in medicine, etc.

And that's all for now. Sorry if ya meant it for suggestions for animals instead of stories Friend, I just kind of felt like spinning these out, it's good even if it gives ya idea's for them. :D And that's all for now since I need to go eat some food.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

MisterVertigo

These are really great! I have no creative talent whatsoever, so I'm not much help there.

Just the other day I was thinking how it was strange that on a distant alien world we would have elephants, rhinos, rabbits, squirrels, etc. I thought it would be cool if someone with more talent than me could mod in replacements for "earth" creature with something else. Nothing else would need to change, just the names and the graphics. We already have muffalo which are alien, and the Trumbo (I think that's spelled right). Those are great!

I think these could go a long way towards that thought. Good luck!
"In vertigo you will be..."

"Relax, people. It's a teeny indie game; don't kill it with love." - Bozobub

Toggle

LittleGreenStone

I'd suggest making a "squirrel-type" small, fast, relatively strong but squishy, easily tamable creature.
Overwhelming the enemy using numbers rather than quality.

How would it look like? Well, it'd have a head, legs and...eyes...
I'm leaving it to you, I can't really draw with words. :)
You could name it Swarmling or something you fancy.
Also, you could connect creatures; here I suggested a small, fast, squishy swarm creature, you could make a bigger, slower "queen" in a similar style. Like the way scythers and centipedes are.

Also, you said "vanilla friendly", not sure what that means. Most vanilla animals are realistic, except for the exploding things, oversized bugs and the thumboros (or what)... o_o
With your walking cacti and zerg (or tyranid?) I think you should continue trying to mix different features of different kinds of creatures (or plants) into one. Bugs, lizards, mammals...and potatoes, make the small big, the big small, add armor, or unnecessarily large numbers of limbs...or tentacles.

I love these creatures and your art too, I think there's much potential in mixing various mythical, existing and extinct creatures.

Like...a bunch of vines holding chunks of rock (as armor) together. What's under the chunks and vines? Who knows?!
Or floaties! Creatures using sacks filled with gas to float around.

Anyway, I'd love to see more, and preferably in-game! :)

Toggle

By vanilla friendly he probably meant for it to be able to added directly into vanilla, not requiring any existing mods for how it works. And the thing is, there is already a squirrel type... the squirrel. They don't even need a lot of them, a single one can really kill a colonist.

LittleGreenStone

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on December 16, 2015, 03:40:54 PM
And the thing is, there is already a squirrel type... the squirrel. They don't even need a lot of them, a single one can really kill a colonist.

Well, my colonist can withstand a squirrel for hours without permanent damage, or one-hit-kill them. Squirrels also hard to tame, being "wild".

I fancy the idea of an animal army, I have tried every single vanilla species already, and that includes a squirrel army.

Why exactly would you whine about there being a squirrel already? I am aware, that's why I didn't suggest the "squirrel", but a different creature with similar traits, which could be used more effectively in combat.

"And the thing is," there are creatures similar to the Arctic Lion (Warg) and Groundrunner (Alpha Beaver) in the game already. I guess it was a waste of time making them then, wasn't it?

What exactly is your problem?

LittleGreenStone

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on December 16, 2015, 03:40:54 PM
And the thing is, there is already a squirrel type... the squirrel. They don't even need a lot of them, a single one can really kill a colonist.
Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on December 16, 2015, 04:54:19 PM
now calm the hell down.

Then cut that annoying attitude ASAP.

Ramsis

Actually both of you are going to stop being idiots in another modder's thread or I'm temp-banning both of you.

Hope that's pretty clear because I won't repeat myself again.
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

LittleGreenStone

Quote from: Ramsis on December 16, 2015, 05:28:20 PM
Actually both of you are going to stop being idiots in another modder's thread or I'm temp-banning both of you.

Alright, I'm game.

I do not like people talking down to me, for no reason.

And I do not like people who insult and threaten me, for not liking it,
Global Moderator Ramsis.
Breaking no.1 and arguably no.2 of the forum rules and guidelines as well.

You may ban me now, after all I'm guilty of breaking no.3.

E.: grammar.

Ramsis

Quote from: LittleGreenStone on December 16, 2015, 05:54:41 PM
Quote from: Ramsis on December 16, 2015, 05:28:20 PM

Alright, I'm game.

I do not like people talking down to me, for no reason.

And I do not like people who insult and threaten me, for not liking it,
Global Moderator Ramsis.
Breaking no.1 and arguably no.2 of the forum rules and guidelines as well.

You may ban me now, after all I'm guilty of breaking no.3.

E.: grammar.

Well at this point you're acting like a brat, so you're below me and I'm now telling you to apologize because the hostility isn't needed. Don't think Zombie is getting away either, he'll be apologizing in the morning for his aggression towards you because it was highly uncalled for. Personally I think you had good ideas but Zombie went a touch idiotic and overly hostile in a matter of minutes so... meh. Just apologize for the horror show you two caused in A Friend's thread?

Think you can manage that one for me?
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

A Friend

I don't really know what's going on... but ok. I do like horror stories though! Just not gorn.

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on December 16, 2015, 11:51:33 AM
Raptor Shrimp. A genetically modified creature, it's origins unknown. They're known to be used for battle with their fearsome Pincers and armored body. While not the best match against ranged, they trump most melee combat. With large lifespans, they roam whatever worlds they're left on, outlasting any colony that tames them.

I like it, will definitely reword some parts though.

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on December 16, 2015, 11:51:33 AM
The Needlepost. An interesting creature, a cactus genetically modified to give it life. The Needleposts were created for a tougher, flexible cactus that could be eaten and used for armour. These creatures have limited combat ability, but their needles contain unknown toxins, which can be harvested.
|                                                                   |                                                                     |     
So, the needlepost combat, I felt like explaining that a bit. The snake bite in Rimworld has xml to create toxic buildup on enemies when bitten. I feel like the needlepost would have limited combat options, so having it use a similar xml sort to poison enemies would be useful. That can be harvested for weapons, say bows, that do the same. You could also decide to make it go the other way, the toxins do not effect enemies but when harvested could be used in medicine, etc.

Oh, I already have plans as to how these creatures would work out in game. The Needlepost is actually a very numerous type of enemy. It is incredibly weak but is fast, and will outrun and brutally beat up your hunters and your colony if you are ill prepared for swarm attacks (I secretly want to hear "My colony got wiped out by a bunch of cactuses, wtf."). The inclusion of toxins in their attack is actually an interesting idea. Not sure about weapons but being rewarded with medicine for hunting them is nice.

Quote from: LittleGreenStone on December 16, 2015, 03:23:10 PM
Also, you said "vanilla friendly", not sure what that means. Most vanilla animals are realistic, except for the exploding things, oversized bugs and the thumboros (or what)... o_o

I'm not really aware of what it officially means but I meant that it looks like it could be something that you can find in game without it feeling weirdly out of place. Tynan and crew already seems to have the normal animals covered, so I'm focusing more on the It's-3000-Years-Into-The-Future-Why-Shouldn't-We-Be-Finding-Walking-Cactuses?-Type of animals.

Anyways, I already garnered some ideas for new animals. Though I may decide to drop ideas if I find their designs somewhat extremely hard to do.
- Bouldermit (A hermit crab with a boulder for a shell.)
- Devilsheep (I remember there was a suggestion thread for sheeps to be included.)
- Cactipine (A porcupine and cactus hybrid, credits to Skullywag for the idea and Shinzy for the name)
- Gallatross (Probably another legendary animal like the Thrumbo, no designs yet, just the *cool name.)
- Tetrafex (Or something with Tetra, I like the word. Like the above probably going to be a legendary animal, still just a name though.)

Earlier, I was looking up my old SPORE folder for some ideas and... other than the somewhat cool names like the Gallatross and Tetrafex, I'm gonna look for designs elsewhere. *shudder
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

LittleGreenStone

Quote from: Ramsis on December 16, 2015, 06:35:53 PM
Well at this point you're acting like a brat, so you're below me and I'm now telling you to apologize because the hostility isn't needed. Don't think Zombie is getting away either, he'll be apologizing in the morning for his aggression towards you because it was highly uncalled for. Personally I think you had good ideas but Zombie went a touch idiotic and overly hostile in a matter of minutes so... meh. Just apologize for the horror show you two caused in A Friend's thread?

Think you can manage that one for me?

A brat?
...Possibly. I can't nor do I want to keep quite and endure sh*t directed at me, without provocation, or a good enough reason. I try my best avoiding both.

But certainly.
After all, I did contribute to make a scene on another user's post, possibly causing inconvenience to him, and now that you've asked me in a humane manner too...

milon

I guess I'm a little late to this party, but better late than never right?

The working title for this mod is Alpha Predators.  The idea isn't just to add more animals (which will happen), but also to add uncommon or rare events where the above Alpha Predators enter the map and cause their own brand of chaos.  Each of these creatures/packs will be rhino-level to thrumbo-level (or above!) in strength and are not to be taken lightly.

As for being vanilla-friendly, like A Friend said, the goal is to make them "fit in" to the RimWorld universe.  I currently only know XML modding, and I'm a newbie at that, so I'm planning on using Enviro SK as a prerequisite to let carnivores actually hunt down colonists and eat corpses.  (But that requirement may disappear with Alpha 13 since that functionality will be included in vanilla.)

Here's a suggestion for the Needlepost:
"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." This sums up the history of the Needlepost.  The first iteration of this creature was supposed to be a stationary tactical deterrent (the Whip Cactus).  But having no intelligence or mobility crippled its effectiveness.  So a large group of stupid people with genetic engineering technology gave it a mobile body, an infantile intelligence, and toxic barbs (for good measure).  And then promptly lost them.