Armor Vests - Traders sell them very rarely

Started by RickyMartini, December 16, 2015, 07:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickyMartini

Does anyone have this issue too?

When I'm already years into a colony and everyone is wearing apparel with at least the "normal" quality, I seem to have a problem with buying enough armor vests by traders.

If you have enough money, you can buy jackets, shirts, helmets and weapons en masse and way more than you need, but I always have trouble keeping enough armored vests. They are either sold way to rarely, or in bad quality.

I often find myself looking at around 20-25 colonists and only around 10 have armored vests, because I either die waiting for more vests to buy from traders or because the vests get worn out.

Vests are extremely cheap, why is it so damn hard to fill up my stock with vests??? You are missing some good deals, traders.

Shurp

My solution to this: edit traderkinds.xml

<li Class="StockGenerator_Armor">
        <countRange>
          <min>6</min>
          <max>10</max>
        </countRange>
      </li>

And you'll have half a dozen pieces of armor to buy every time the combat merchant shows up
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Panzer

Yep, they re very rare, yet pirates seem to have no problems acquiring them :P
That rarity is another reason why I think the equipping system needs a rework, you always have to force-wear them when you re able to set a clothing standard.
Since auto-equip is still kinda crude and lacking some more adjustment options, I like always set it to superior quality and 50%-100%. You kinda need to do this to keep your guys from equipping shitty stuff from raider leftovers and instead make them wear the stuff your crafter produces. But vests are so rare you like never get anything above normal quality, they re almost always outside of my outfit settings.

Sry for the rant, but that has been bothering me since the equip system was introduced :P

zlongshark

Every now and then you will get a trader with 10 vest available, poor quality is better than nothing. Also i pick up a lot of vest from raiders which are mostly in poor form but from time time you get some good ones.

On another note i just purchased legendary power amount for about 25.5K ;)
"Who would have guessed you could order beer in the outer rim of the galaxy"

b0rsuk

So buy those low quality vests. They're much better than no vest.

You should probably keep the low quality vests on equipment racks, because they deteriorate faster from normal wearing.

Panzer

You re missing the point :P I buy every quality level of armor vests, even awful ones, but I need to forcewear them because of the way the equip system works. And thats added micromanagement, which the equip system should prevent.

RickyMartini

Exactly what Panzer said. Plus, even if I buy every vest regardless of quality, the amount of vests is still too low.

zlongshark

I have about 15 colonist and i don't find it that difficult to come across vests. I end up selling heaps from left over raids. I usually play the difficult on PC or CC challenging.

What difficulty setting are you using?
"Who would have guessed you could order beer in the outer rim of the galaxy"

Panzer

Randy random challenge, usually.
Yeah I do get heaps of them from raiders, but those are usually pretty beaten up from the battle. If a raider dies violently, all his equipment gets damaged, exceptions are when he/she dies because one of his legs got 1-shot by a sniper. Raiders who bleed out usually have equipment in good condition as well, but both cases are rare and cant really support a middle sized colony.
The beat up stuff thats left usually is <50% and makes your colonists unhappy.

RickyMartini

Quote from: Panzer on December 21, 2015, 04:53:33 AM
Randy random challenge, usually.
Yeah I do get heaps of them from raiders, but those are usually pretty beaten up from the battle. If a raider dies violently, all his equipment gets damaged, exceptions are when he/she dies because one of his legs got 1-shot by a sniper. Raiders who bleed out usually have equipment in good condition as well, but both cases are rare and cant really support a middle sized colony.
The beat up stuff thats left usually is <50% and makes your colonists unhappy.

My experience is more or less identical to yours panzer.

Shurp

BTW, when a trader does show up with armor, "shoddy" and "poor" armor are your friends.  Cheap yet effective.  Stay away from the "awful", their protective quality is so poor they're not worth the discount.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Jan2607

Use Brunayla's security mod ;)
With this mod you can craft armor.

This is what I do. This game is really, really great, but with some mods it's actually even more fun :D

Limdood

i use the mending mod, it really helps solve the armor problem, as well as clothing quality problem.

I set my people to wear normal+ 75-100% and when they discard an item, someone takes it and "mends" it to full 100% durability, and someone else comes and wears it.

This means only ever need 1 armor vest per person.

Until some sort of vanilla item "repair" system is implemented, i'm going to definitely keep using mending mod (even if it is way too cheap and quick to repair stuff)

Shurp

You could mod the mod to make it more expensive to mend :)

Illusion Distort

Many of the features are just implemented, Tynan will probably want to clean up some of the dodgy menues.

On another note, after a quick google search i realised en masse is french for alot. It is the as in Norwegian(my mother language).
it litterally translates to a (one) lot(s). Just a quick observation from a guy stuck with a teacher who tries to teach latin in norwegian classes.
( '-')