tips for surviving in cold environments?

Started by jzero, December 20, 2015, 08:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N0xiety

I dont think geyser positions are part of the seed, seeds just contain the basic information of the world map, those lesser important information like the geyser, hidden treasures and many small details isnt there.
[/quote]

I tried with a friend actually. We started at the same coordinates with same seed and the map was the same also.

TLHeart

geysers are randomly placed after the seed... want to see the geysers move around, generate a world, pick a location and start a colony. Make note of where the geysers are, exit rimworld, restart rimworld, start new colony with the same world, at the same location, and the geysers will be in different locations.

jzero

hey everyone! thanks for all the tips. My colony is currently doing pretty well. I found a massive cave in a mountain and it had soil inside it so i made grow lamps and have my potatoes growing well. Raids are not the biggest problem as i have made a few turrets but i will see how things turn out. Again thanks for all the information and i have done pretty well using it
Actual cannibal shia labeouf.

N0xiety

Well here is my mountain shelter Anchorage. Located in the coldest of the coldest location i could find with -95C avarage winter temps. I have seen it reach -120C and my centrall heating system was struggling with that kind of temp. In this pic there is a toxic fallout going on and its -93C. Just your avarage day here :)

jzero

wow. That is really impressive, i notice you have fourteen thousand human flesh. What's up with that?
Actual cannibal shia labeouf.

N0xiety

Quote from: jzero on December 28, 2015, 10:52:34 PM
wow. That is really impressive, i notice you have fourteen thousand human flesh. What's up with that?

Have about 50 warg pets and they gotta eat :) I use them in seiges and ship events. They are quite usefull at breaking trough and quite cold resistant too. Besides its better than burning all those poor tribals and pirates who stumbled upon my killbox :) On top of that i make coats out of their skins and get some extra cash out of it :) Nothing is wasted in this colony these are hard times :)

b0rsuk

Wind Traps are very good in Tundra, Ice Sheet - very few trees! But not Boreal Forest. Supply drops suddenly become very interesting.

Tundra is more forgiving than Ice Sheet. Hydroponics is optional, you only need some wind farms and farmable soil. Don't make the mistake of fencing a patch of stone or gravel! Conserve raw food by using Nutrient Paste Dispenser. Warm early room with campfires. I would personally construct a turret, then a heater, then stockpile steel for wind traps and a sunlamp. There should be huntable animals before you get the farm going.

On Ice Sheet, build a single room, place a research bench in it, and research Hydroponics immediately. Keep the room warm with campfires until you mine enough for a heater. Keep building/mining the hydroponic room. To feed yourself until then, build a Nutrient Paste Dispenser and pour all veggies and hunted animals into it. Gather all suvival rations from the map unless there are too few and too far - but I would personally send a colonist for 3 rations.

In both biomes wood is too precious to use on furniture. Save it for campfires - it can keep your plants warm in solar flares. Make beds out of steel. Stone is fine for external doors, but I'd use steel for internal.

Saikar

With tundra, it's just a matter of rushing geothermal and plopping a sun lamp down on rich soil. The rough rule of thumb is 1 geothermal = one sun lamp, taking into account the other power requirements of the base. Even a single sun lamp on rich soil making rice can feed a massive colony. Supplement your food by murdering every large animal that wanders into range.

Still working out tundra. I really don't want to have to resort to cannibalism.

N0xiety

Here is another really good tip for you. When solar flare happens if you have a big base or farm like myne you won't have time to set up campfires. For example mine needs about 50 camfires set to be heated so yeah... So what i found really usefull is to have a fire room seperated atleast 2 blocks from anything flammable. You place a 10 square long wooden wall in there and light it from one end when the solar flare starts. It burns towards the other end of the wall. I keep 3 walls like this so if the solar flare doesn't end when the fire consumes the first row i light the second and if that doesn't cut it i light the third one. I have never seen solar flare lasting longer than before the third wall gets consumed by fire.

narf03

Quote from: N0xiety on December 29, 2015, 03:38:36 PM
Here is another really good tip for you. When solar flare happens if you have a big base or farm like myne you won't have time to set up campfires. For example mine needs about 50 camfires set to be heated so yeah... So what i found really usefull is to have a fire room seperated atleast 2 blocks from anything flammable. You place a 10 square long wooden wall in there and light it from one end when the solar flare starts. It burns towards the other end of the wall. I keep 3 walls like this so if the solar flare doesn't end when the fire consumes the first row i light the second and if that doesn't cut it i light the third one. I have never seen solar flare lasting longer than before the third wall gets consumed by fire.

just hope when solar flare strikes, you already have proper clothing for all your colonists. at least they dont frozen to death.

Coenmcj

For the first few weeks, airlocks are your friend. I've lost a few colder colonies in the beginning because my colonist would walk through the door and drop the internal temperature from a wonderful 24 c to a miserable 4 c.
Airlocks can stop such a drastic temperature change from murdering your crops.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite