So when is Tynan returning?

Started by RoboticManiac, December 21, 2015, 10:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neotic

^exactly why he didn't do the steam release and he wouldn't abandone us.
BRAIN-OVERLOAD

skullywag

Basically he stays on and burns himself out, does a half decent job but his creative juices run dry.

Or

He takes a decent amount of time off and comes back like he first started, full of creativeness and refreshed.

The time off will do nothing but add quality and quantity to the game. Ive seen plenty of devs work their asses off to put out a half assed product cuz they fought to get to release quickly.

Take all the time you need Tynan, id take the game as is for the money i paid for it, if you come back and add a giant update due to all your time off then I for one could not be happier. This is the way to do software development, being a professional myself burnout is a major issue.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Patrykbono20

Quote from: skullywag on December 23, 2015, 03:27:52 AM
Remember people Ison has been and maybe still is smashing away at his keyboard (well i hope hes not, it is christmas).

You know, after Christmas I am continuously gaining weight, carp and dumplings with cabbage and mushrooms, they can extend the human stomach. Not to mention a sweet food.
Three days of holidays three days of rich food.
Then New Year's Eve, Polish vodka is good and strong.
It is expected a week of fighting with weights and a hangover.
Cheers

And Tynan when he comes back it will tell us, there is nothing to do spins.

RickyMartini

Quote from: uglyduckling81 on January 03, 2016, 01:10:24 AM
If I had to guess I would say this game is doomed. It makes me sad because the quality of this development made me buy in after I had declared I would never support early access again.
Taking a 6 months hiatus mid development is a very bad sign. If he had taken a couple of weeks off like a normal person taking holidays I would see it as no problem.
I guess it's the problem with throwing so much money at a guy just starting out.
If I was a betting man I would put money on him starting a new project once gets home and effectively abandoning Rimworld.
Hopefully that's not the case and I invested wisely in this game but I don't have much hope.

Why? The game is pretty much finished and Tynan is a grown up adult and he gave us all he promised up to now and was always open about how he sees the further development of the game. The game is going to be out in 2016. For an indie game, a developing time of 2-3 years is totally okay.

TLHeart

If I had to guess I would say this game is doomed. It makes me sad because the quality of this development made me buy in after I had declared I would never support early access again.
Taking a 6 months hiatus mid development is a very bad sign. If he had taken a couple of weeks off like a normal person taking holidays I would see it as no problem.
I guess it's the problem with throwing so much money at a guy just starting out.
If I was a betting man I would put money on him starting a new project once gets home and effectively abandoning Rimworld.
Hopefully that's not the case and I invested wisely in this game but I don't have much hope.

Tynan has handed over the coding to ison, while Tynan steps away and creates more ideas.  This is a good thing, but 6 months does make people who can not afford to take a 6 month break nervous. Large amounts of money over a short period of time does change a person's perspective on what they want to do... Rimworld is not dead yet.

pooch

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on January 03, 2016, 02:40:51 AM

this is exactly why I do not buy or support games until released anymore.  Taking a 6 month break while a game is in alpha is inexcusable and unforgivable. This dev will never see a penny of my money in this or any other game he  is involved with for life! I hope he starves. Devs like this hurt the entire gaming community. If you cannot finish, the DO NOT START!

Neotic

Quote from: pooch on January 04, 2016, 07:35:42 PM

this is exactly why I do not buy or support games until released anymore.  Taking a 6 month break while a game is in alpha is inexcusable and unforgivable. This dev will never see a penny of my money in this or any other game he  is involved with for life! I hope he starves.

I would take that back if was you
BRAIN-OVERLOAD

Ramsis

this is exactly why I do not buy or support games until released anymore.  Taking a 6 month break while a game is in alpha is inexcusable and unforgivable. This dev will never see a penny of my money in this or any other game he  is involved with for life! I hope he starves. Devs like this hurt the entire gaming community. If you cannot finish, the DO NOT START!

I'm not going to ban you despite wanting to, mostly because you're an idiot and just assume the worst to such an umpf degree that you make yourself look foolish. The game is healthy, the development team is great, the game will be finished and you'll have egg on your face :)
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

RickyMartini

Honestly, this shit is almost predictable. Everytime a freaking post is made in General Discussion about either Tynan's break or Steam keys some people absolutely WILL get riled up and emotional. Seriously, what's going on? Poor Tynan.

A Friend

"Captain! We're detecting another one!"

"Alright, what type is it?"

"It's a "Developer's ETA" sir!"

"Codename?"

""So when is Tynan returning?" sir!"

"Severity?"

"It's controlled so far si- no wait! We are detecting anomalies!"

"Damn it, send in troops to control the situation!"

"Troops sent sir! They are fighting back the negative anomaly!"

"Good, call me when it's gone."

"SIR, A NEW ANOMALY HAS BEEN DETECTED!"

"What? Threat level?"

"I-It's a... It's a... A55 Hole sir. Coming live onscreen... now."

"My god... SEND IN M.O.D. UNITS, NOW!"

"M.O.D.S reporting for duty. Ban-hammers ready."

"M.O.D. Leader, stand by, I repeat: stand by, M.O.D. Leader."

"Alright, the anomaly hasn't reacted yet. Let's just see how it goes. Hope to god that it does not require Operation: Thread Lock."

inb4 more arguments and eventual thread lock
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

StorymasterQ

Well.

Players like that hurt the entire gaming community.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

JimmyAgnt007

Coenmcj

Quote from: Skissor on January 04, 2016, 08:21:32 PM
Honestly, this shit is almost predictable. Everytime a freaking post is made in General Discussion about either Tynan's break or Steam keys some people absolutely WILL get riled up and emotional. Seriously, what's going on? Poor Tynan.

Steam almost always degenerates into what we've seen earlier (Now on the OT board), regardless of the original question.
Just distance yourself from them after answering the question, it gets ugly quick.

Quote from: A Friend on January 04, 2016, 10:18:25 PM
"Hope to god that it does not require Operation: Thread Lock."[/i]
So long as it doesn't ascend to Operation: Expunge thread, Keeping examples around to redirect to the inevitable return of this question is a good thing.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

porcupine

Whether people agree with it or not, the detractors have a point (I'll freely admit I'm one of 'em).  Have I enjoyed the game I paid to help make?  Sure.

Is taking a massive vacation mid-development normal, or generally acceptable?  Nope.  Is it Tynan's prerogative?  Definitely, that's the very definition of the word after all.

Having said that, the longer he is out and releases are paused, the more the returns will be diminished, and thus diminishing incentive to return/re-invest in the same capacity/etc.

You can bet fewer people are buying the game when active development is paused, thus there is less money coming in, and less incentive to hit additional development really hard.  Momentum is difficult to build, and it doesn't just return because you want it to.  For anybody with real world experience, this carries across many fields, and is an undeniable fact.

TLHeart