Windows 10 Tablet support?

Started by Crable, December 22, 2015, 11:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crable

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forums so forgive me if this question is lame.

I am thinking about buying a tablet and I was wondering if anyone knows if RimWorld would run on a Windows 10 tablet. I have been doing searches for hours on whether or not it would work and it seems as if Windows 10 tablets cannot run '.exe's. So it seems like it wouldn't work?

Does anyone out there know?

Thank you!

milon

Setting aside Tablets, some Win10 Desktops have had various (minor) issues.  It may not work flawlessly for that reason alone.

I haven't heard about Win10 Tablets & exe's, so that's news to me.  Hopefully someone else will have better insight than I.  But if it can't run an .exe, I wouldn't count on RimWorld running.

milon

This is not an official statement of RimWorld's ability to run or not on various Windows 10 platforms, but just some information that I found and am passing off to you.  Caveat emptor.

I did some poking around, and while I can't tell for certain either, it seems like the deciding factor is whether the processor architecture is ARM or x86/x64.  Intel desktop processors are x86/x64 architecture (what Windows & Linux typically use).  Mobile phones typically use the ARM architecture.

I couldn't find anything definitive, but an old article from January 2015 stated that MS was going to use screen size as a cutoff: 8" screen or larger should be desktop (and therefore RimWorld) compatible, while smaller screens are essentially mobile phones and are not compatible with traditional desktop applications.

Hope this helps!

MisterVertigo

I just thought I'd post here to let the OP know that I run Windows 10 on my desktop at home, and I've had ZERO issues related to Windows 10 and RimWorld. I know it's not a tablet, but you can be sure that RimWorld will run on the Windows 10 OS. If the above posts are correct then a Windows 10 tablet with an x86/x64 bit processor should work just fine because at that point it's basically a Windows laptop.
"In vertigo you will be..."

"Relax, people. It's a teeny indie game; don't kill it with love." - Bozobub

harpo99999

as already stated, there is TWO base architectures for the HARDWARE that windows runs on, the arm (phone type hardware that in win8 was the winRT version that can not run programs for the x86 as the cpu does not understand what to do with the programs from x86 therefore crash or lockup so NO .exe) and the x86 base where the cpu knows the entire x86 instruction set and can run the .exe's,
the quickest way to determine is to look at the CPU type ie arm = no rim, intel/amd = RIMWORLD ahoy

skullywag

running it on a surface pro 3 i7 256gb and its perfect, playing with the pen is awesome, I cant play rimworld on my desktop anymore.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Ykara

Quote from: skullywag on December 22, 2015, 04:36:44 PM
running it on a surface pro 3 i7 256gb and its perfect, playing with the pen is awesome, I cant play rimworld on my desktop anymore.
Same here, except that I have the i5 version. All windows 10 tablets can run exes, it's just a matter of how good your tablet is. But playing Rimworld on the surface with the pen is really a great experience, it's like it was made for it ^^

Crable

Hello!

First off, thanks for the responses! I did some more digging myself and read what you guys have said which is all terms.
To put things into simpler terms, I actually had to go to the Microsoft store to exchange my tablet because it was defective. So while I was there I asked them if executable files could run on this. He then explained to me the ARM and RT versions of windows 10 for tablets.

To put it simply, my tablet had "Windows 10 Home" edition (as opposted to the RT edition) so its basically a laptop and not a tablet operating system. Therefore it works.

"I couldn't find anything definitive, but an old article from January 2015 stated that MS was going to use screen size as a cutoff: 8" screen or larger should be desktop (and therefore RimWorld) compatible, while smaller screens are essentially mobile phones and are not compatible with traditional desktop applications."

I did run into a crazy resolution error as someone posted below where the screen was scrunched into half of the size. I almost cried, but went into the settings and put the game into window mode. That fixed it, so then i put it back into full screen mode and it completely fixed it.

Seems like it runs well to me!

Thanks for the responses! Now I can play rimworld anywhere without a bulky laptop!