Carefull Shooter trait and shooting skill useless?

Started by N0xiety, December 27, 2015, 02:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N0xiety

Now i have my best soldier Cassie with all bionic parts and 20 level shooting skill with carefull shooter trait.
On the other hand i have my cook - surgeon Ryan with all bionic parts and bad back with 4 level of shooting skill.

Now you would assume that Ryan would be a really avarage shot and my best soldier Cassie would be a beast that never misses a shot right?

This is where i facepalm... Yes it is true that Cassie never misses a shot but so does Ryan it seems... I noticed it in a raid when i saw Ryan putting down enemies with dead accuracy. Then i checked their shooting accuracy in the information pannel and much to my suprise Ryan the bad back cook has 99.18% accuracy even with his 4 level of shooting because of the bionic parts while Cassie the perfect soldier has 99.60% with her 20 level shooting skill, carefull shooter and all bionic parts but she fires %25 slower because of the CAREFULL SHOOTER!!!

So what was the carefull shooter and shooting skills purpose if they are going to have the same accuracy??? Why did i even nurtured the perfect sharpshooter if she is not going to be better than a frikin cook with bad back who has 4 levels of shooting skill??? Only difference is my perfect sharpshooter fires %25 slower because of her skill... Seriously!!!

I would atleast be ok with it if the accuracy goes over %100 so that my perfect soldier can use even the worst of guns with dead accuracy while my cook would only be good with excellent guns for example but that is not the case here... My perfect soldier is worse than my cook because of the %25 aim time penalty...

Regret

It looks like careful shooter is best with medium skill and no bionic parts, the diminishing returns make it a handicap on higher skill levels.

Good to know, wouldn't call it useless, just situational.

narf03

it depends on situation, when a target can be easily hit, like a godzilla, you need skill to miss it. so, what are u shooting at ?

REMworlder

It's pretty bad, especially considering each shot gives the shooter experience. Now not only is your careful shooter colonist putting less lead down range, but the colonist is also becoming better at a slower rate.

The way shooting works, firepower volume is important because even missed shots can still hit something. This is why targeting behind a mob of tribals can be more effective than aiming for the front of the pack. These missed shots can even be more accurate than the shots that hit. Accuracy is good, rate of fire is better.

RickyMartini

If you have a full bionic colonist the careful shooter trait becomes obsolete and even detrimental. That's the way it is, but it's good to know for future playthroughs.

TLHeart

also depends on the quality of the weapon they are using.

Jarwy

Weather and whether (heh) it's dark or not also affects the accuracy. In the most awful conditions I have found out that only colonists with careful shooting can hit anything at all.

b0rsuk

You can improve bad accuracy, but you can't do anything with rate of fire.

That said, there are uses for Careful Shooter. Early on, it makes Survival Rifle and Sniper Rifle scary. Then you might want to try fairly inaccurate but scary weapons like LMG, Charge Rifle, Incendiary Cannon (you need to know what you're doing with this one). Unfortunately Minigun is hardcoded to always miss a lot no matter the skill or bionics.

Saikar

A careful shooter with a sniper rifle can solo small waves of mechs that land by their ships at midgame, since they can outrange anything with the sniper and are nearly guaranteed to land every shot, making any mechs that try to approach take very reliable damage, often fatal to scythers.

In a massive shootout though with battle lines, yeah, its pretty useless.