[A12d] Prison Meals - no more lavish meals for prisoners

Started by Bloc97, December 28, 2015, 09:12:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloc97

Ever wondered why prisoners get the best meals?

Do you often resort to this?

Well fear not! You won't be needing to waste your important resources on those pesky eaters anymore!

This mod adds two new types of food, mostly targeted toward prisoners (or uncooperative colonists).

• The first one is Prison Meal, which costs the same as nutrient paste meal, but has less nutrition (80%).
    You cook prison meal on a stove with 0.4 nutition (~8 raw food ingredients). There is also the option to cook two at a time, and the option to cook on a campfire,
    if you want to save food at the beginning (but colonists will be unhappy, just like nutrient paste meals.)

• The second one is Nutraloaf, which is a baked slab of a mixture between real food and a filler. It has 50% nutrition, and gives a big (-10) hit on mood.

You "make" it on a stove, with 4 raw food ingredients and 2 fillers of your choice. You have these options:

• Hay
    • Wood
    • Cloth
    • Hops
    • Herbal Medicine

There is also the option to make 5 Nutraloaf at a time, saving the hauling and cooking time needed for your prisoners.

You might ask:
Why is this useful?
Well, since this mod is to solve the current problem (A12d) that wardens give the best food available to the prisoners, and there is no way to choose the type of food you want to give,
I have made my food only be able to stack in piles of 1.

Again, if you're wondering why is stacks of 1 helpful?
Instead of making the wardens feed your prisoners, put single stockpiles of prison food in each prisoner's cell.
Tick only Prison Meal and Nutraloaf. And disable "gets food" for the prisoners. The prisoners will eat the food in their cells by themselves.

Only if the prisoner is sick, you can let the warden feed him. (Or let him starve by himself since the colony won't be needing sick people.)
When the cook makes the Prison meal, he will bring it in the cells himself, again saving hauling time.

What you want to get is something similar to this.

That's it, this mod is as this simple.
Until someone makes a mod where we can change the stack number of meals, or choose which meals to give to prisoners, this mod is the simplest solution, requiring the least resources from your colony.

Predicted Frequently Asked Questions
Won't my colonists eat this food by accident and be unhappy?
The quality of the food is set as "awful", colonists will only eat this if they have no other option.

Will you add more types of food?
Maybe...

Will you make the meals stackable?
Maybe in the future I will add a station where you can stack prison meals and nutraloaf.

Can I choose some of my colonists to eat this?
Simply make two areas, where only one has access to good food stockpiles. Assign a cook that has access to everything, he will bring the prison food to a stockpile where the "slaves" can eat.

License:
The code part is:

The art part is:

Since I do not believe that these simple XML codes should be attributed to me, have fun with it.

The latest download that you can find is only at my repository. Click on Download ZIP on the top right, and extract the folder into /mods/
https://github.com/bloc97/RIM_Prisonfood
This won't be uploaded on any other sites. If it is, it is someone else that did. And if they are making profits out of it from ads, shame on them.

shahrukh

YESSSS!! thanks, no more lavish meals for my prisoners !

Shabazza

Hm. I'm thinking.
It's a noce addition to the game.
But: If you hold prisoners, I guess you want something from them.
Either to recruit them or maybe to eat them or to have them free-willingly donate some unnecessary organs....  ::)
So I guess if it's the first reason, you want them to be happy to be more susceptible for recruitment talks.
(They won't listen to the warden < 35% happyness)
So good meal is something to actually help making them trust you.
If it's one of the latter cases, well, then I guess you won't wait too long and thus do not need to feed them at all.

I'm just thinking if I need this.
Or am I missing something important here? Why would you conserve prisoners for a prolonged time?

Bloc97

Quote from: Shabazza on December 28, 2015, 09:48:42 AM
Why would you conserve prisoners for a prolonged time?
It is not only for prisoners. This mod adds roleplay elements to rimworld, which is already roleplay-heavy. It just seems silly when you feed lavish meals to prisoners where colonists eat the simple meals.

Furthermore, when a prisoner has 95%+ difficulty to recruit, they will be staying there for a long time. Either you release them or you sell them.
But if you insist on having more colonists, you don't want to waste good meals on them, especially when food is short.

If you have 2-4 wardens, most of the prisoners will have (convinced by warden x20) which already boosts his/her mood to 100. Mood isn't an issue for convinced prisoners.

I guess it is fun to see unimportant/slaves/prisoners suffer in the cold when important colonists are watching TV eating lavish meals.

TLHeart

I don't build separate prison cells, so I just put a single stack of low quality meals in the prison. Don't even need to disable gets food on the prisoner, so long as there is food in the prison, the wardens don't deliver food.

Nice idea, for a simple mod though.

Bloc97

Quote from: TLHeart on December 28, 2015, 12:23:24 PM
I don't build separate prison cells, so I just put a single stack of low quality meals in the prison. Don't even need to disable gets food on the prisoner, so long as there is food in the prison, the wardens don't deliver food.

There is a small problem with that, when one prisoner gets berserk, everyone becomes bruised, and the warden walks in, and gets hit.
By building separate cells, prisoners get mood bonus and when one becomes berserk, you can lock his door.

TLHeart

Quote from: Bloc97 on December 28, 2015, 01:11:55 PM
Quote from: TLHeart on December 28, 2015, 12:23:24 PM

There is a small problem with that, when one prisoner gets berserk, everyone becomes bruised, and the warden walks in, and gets hit.
By building separate cells, prisoners get mood bonus and when one becomes berserk, you can lock his door.

not a problem, free medical training for the doctors. A prisoner goes berserk, I lock the door, they all suffer.

Mood bonuses don't matter on prisoners, since the ONLY requirement to recruit is above 35% mood, which the warden talks are more than enough. a prisoner's mood of 35% or 100% makes NO difference in chance of recruitment. The ONLY variable then is your warden.

Grimandevil

the second meal looks interesting. something to save a starving colony on harsher maps.
welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.