[1.5] Allow Tool (3.13.0) - The Rimworld Multitool

Started by UnlimitedHugs, January 01, 2016, 04:46:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueWinds

Quote from: UnlimitedHugs on July 21, 2016, 04:34:32 PM
No can do, since I don't actually own the game on Steam.
Besides, I'd prefer not to contribute to Valve's closed ecosystem. Were Steam open source and DRM-free, I'd be all for it.

Double thumbs up for this, and a hug (I assume you don't mind).  8)

Also, super useful mod, thanks for creating/maintaining it. I like to explore the vanilla experience of new alphas for a bit... and this is always the mod that I miss most extensively when I do. Sure seems like a thing that should be in core.

dismar

UnlimitedHugs

Thank you for the support, BlueWinds. Gotta do what feels right, even when the odds are stacked the other way.
HugsLib - AllowTool - Remote Tech - Map Reroll - Defensive Positions: Github, Steam

Slye_Fox

Quote from: UnlimitedHugs on July 21, 2016, 04:34:32 PM
No can do, since I don't actually own the game on Steam.
Besides, I'd prefer not to contribute to Valve's closed ecosystem. Were Steam open source and DRM-free, I'd be all for it.
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "closed ecosystem".

jonbrant

UnlimitedHugs

Slye, it means Valve fully controls their game and mod delivery system. Meaning, they are profiting off of your content and can take it down without warning. They also control how you use their client, and are free to add whatever "feature" they deem necessary, rather than giving their players the choice in the matter.
Conversely, an "open" ecosystem would entail them allowing players to use alternative clients and alternative mod repositories (which they would not control). It can be done, and the PC gaming market would probably benefit from it as a whole. Of course, Valve would have to voluntarily yield some of their control in the service of their users- which is a lot to ask of a corporation.
On the bright side, Steam gives indie developers a viable distribution platform that is not very demanding, allowing innovative games to appear. We definitely have that going for us, which is nice.

jonbrant, yes, you could put it that way :D
HugsLib - AllowTool - Remote Tech - Map Reroll - Defensive Positions: Github, Steam

magik20

is a a15 coming up soon? this is a great mod

deliveryservice

PLEASE UPDATE to A15 I really want this :C I have no idea how to update it by myself.

UnlimitedHugs

timeandtherani

Thank you so much for your absolutely essential mod. 

Slye_Fox

UnlimitedHugs

Well, the license puts this mod in the public domain, so they are within their rights.
If I do end up getting the game on Steam, I might make an official release.
Thanks for letting me know :)

UnlimitedHugs

Regarding my previous rant about Steam and DRM- I am not expressly opposed to having the mod on the workshop. If people want to play the game on Steam, I'm not going to stand in their way.
As long as the mod is also available openly and for free, it's all good.

Vassteel

Ya know, i just happen to have an extra copy of rimworld just sitting around in my inventory.  if ya happen to want it just let me know

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: Vassteel on September 09, 2016, 12:01:38 PM
Ya know, i just happen to have an extra copy of rimworld just sitting around in my inventory.  if ya happen to want it just let me know

That's quite generous, I appreciate it :)
Sent you a PM.