[1.5] Allow Tool (3.13.0) - The Rimworld Multitool

Started by UnlimitedHugs, January 01, 2016, 04:46:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DenVildeHest

If I understand what you are proposing i.e. I want to mine out an area, so I select the first block and click the context action button, and then the block is set to mined that wouldn't be all that helpful as it only selects that block. and I would have to mark every block and click the context button for each. If it could give me the mining tool/the chop wood tool etc. when I select and use context action that would be mind blowing though! 

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: DenVildeHest on May 30, 2017, 03:20:05 PM
If I understand what you are proposing i.e. I want to mine out an area, so I select the first block and click the context action button, and then the block is set to mined that wouldn't be all that helpful as it only selects that block. and I would have to mark every block and click the context button for each. If it could give me the mining tool/the chop wood tool etc. when I select and use context action that would be mind blowing though!

What I meant is- say, you select one or more ore tiles, press the context action key, and since you see the Mine button while having the ores selected, and Mine has a context action, it will activate "Mine connected" on the selected tiles.
But I understand now what you mean, and I'll keep that in mind- maybe I'll come up with something. Perhaps holding Shift while clicking the Mine button could summon the Mine tool instead, like you are proposing.
HugsLib - AllowTool - Remote Tech - Map Reroll - Defensive Positions: Github, Steam

DenVildeHest

Quote from: UnlimitedHugs on May 30, 2017, 01:54:25 PM
I could extend the functionality of the "context action" key to have it activate the first context action on the selected items, if no tool is selected. Would that work for you?
While playing I thought about every time the above function would be useful and reduce mouse clicks or looking for hotkeys and it's quite a lot. If it's not too hard to implement I'd be interested in that functionality for sure.

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: DenVildeHest on May 31, 2017, 04:19:52 PM
While playing I thought about every time the above function would be useful and reduce mouse clicks or looking for hotkeys and it's quite a lot. If it not too hard to implement I'd be interested in that functionality for sure.

That's good to know. I'll see if I can add it to the next update.
HugsLib - AllowTool - Remote Tech - Map Reroll - Defensive Positions: Github, Steam

DenVildeHest

Well I seem to have run into a bug that I can reproduce reliably, although It might be a conflict with other mods? I don't know. I moved your mod around in the loadorder a bit and I didn't change anything. It has to do with the select similar tool. It will work after reordering mods, or restarting the client(same thing i guess) upon first loading a game. But if I load a savegame afterwards it will bug out. I seem to remember some of the other hotkeys bugging out too but I haven't tested it. 
Output_log
Video of bug

UnlimitedHugs

Updated to 3.1.2

Got some fixes and improvements here:
- Select similar will no longer break after loading a game twice
- Tools on selected items can now be individually disabled in the settings
- Shift-clicking a tool on selected items will now pick that tool up
- The "Context action" hotkey will activate the action on the first visible tool, when no tool is selected. This can save you a few extra clicks, especially when mining: select an ore tile, and press the key (Equals by default). The ore patch will be marked using the context action, which is "Mine connected ores".

@DenVildeHest
Good report, thank you. Should be fixed in this patch.

DenVildeHest

Thanks a bunch I'll give it a spin!
Edit:
Great update really minimizes all the clicking around in menus. 2 minor things I found so far;
1. Using the shift click on tool functionality on the "chop wood" tool will give you the "cut plants" tool. Expected behavior would be the "chop wood" tool.

2. Using the context action key on a tile marked for mining will cancel all orders on map. A better functionality in this case would be "mine connected ores" for mining. Although it is technically doing what it's supposed to as cancel is the first visible tool. Much less useful than the other functionality though.

Maybe It would be an idea to just not allow the "context action" hotkey to "see" the cancel tool, It might create some headaches for for people who have issued many orders and press the hotkey expecting another outcome.
It's also not a functionality you would want to use very often. Same deal if I have a tree selected for chopping/cutting. Using the "context action" hotkey cancels all orders on map. Would much rather have it use the context action of the "select similar" tool- "select similar things on map". I guess just leave it as it is if it's not easy to have the "context action" hotkey ignore the "cancel" tool.
-Sorry to be such a pain in the (_!_)

UnlimitedHugs

Updated to 3.2.1

Added a new tool: "Finish off".
It marks downed creatures to be quickly and painlessly murderized. This should be great for raid and hunting trip cleanup, as I feel it's much better than leaving someone to slowly expire or punching them repeatedly.
This was a complex addition, so do let me know if you run into any issues.

@DenVildeHest
Yeah, valid points. I'm not going any deeper down this rabbit hole, though :P
Let's leave good enough alone and move on to more fun things.

phoenixfire53

UnlimitedHugs:

This update broke the "work" tab for me.  It will only show 1 colonist in the list.  This persists through all my saved games, but displays correctly when starting a new game.  Disabling Allow Tool solved the problem.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: DenVildeHest on June 01, 2017, 06:15:01 PM

2. Using the context action key on a tile marked for mining will cancel all orders on map. A better functionality in this case would be "mine connected ores" for mining. Although it is technically doing what it's supposed to as cancel is the first visible tool. Much less useful than the other functionality though.

This .. cancel all Blueprints may not be a option anybody wants .. ever ..
The Havoc this single click can cause is incredible so please just remove the option, or at least give it a dialog.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: phoenixfire53 on June 03, 2017, 01:48:59 PM
UnlimitedHugs:

This update broke the "work" tab for me.  It will only show 1 colonist in the list.  This persists through all my saved games, but displays correctly when starting a new game.  Disabling Allow Tool solved the problem.

This happens when workgivers are changed or new jobs are added mid-game, this has nothing to to with worktab .. the vanilla tab does not like this either :-D

phoenixfire53

Oh okay.  So disabling and reenabling Allow Tool sorted me out so... never mind I guess!

UnlimitedHugs

Updated to 3.2.2

This should hopefully resolve the remaining cases of errors after loading a game.

@SpaceDorf
I'll see if I can add a confirmation to the Cancel thing in a future update.
As for the wortype thing, I'm aware of it- guess my first fix didn't quite cut it :P
Should work now, though.

SpaceDorf

Yeah I just noticed it had nothing to do with mining, but with tool-clicking on the mining designation.

But activating mining and than trying to vein-mine is quite dangerous :)

The Icon for Finish Off looks real nice.

Pichu0102

What worktype is finish off a job under? My colonists never get around to it.